Trevor Francis tried to buy Alan Shearer for Sheffield Wednesday

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No not at all

Just trying to understand how that whole generation of players seemed to be 'reyt boozy' and it didn't affect many of them at all. Seasoned international players playing week in week out whilst also lashing it up

Because stories about them on the lash have been exaggerated over the years.

"We did not sign him and he went to Blackburn Rovers for around £4m in 1996 and then, after helping Rovers win the Premiership, went to Newcastle United for an enormous fee of well over £15m."

What an absolute tool. He went to Blackburn in 1992 for 3.6 million. Blackburn won the title in 1995.

So Francis is now telling us that he missed out on Shearer, as well as rejecting Cantona.

"have never been more certain" that we actually had Jasper Carrott for a manager.

Edited by deaks1984
Mis quote
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Just read that online too, slow news day. I remember Nigel Pearson said recently at that Man City game how it was our failure to push on around that time that cost us. We sat back too much and ended up signing weaker players rather than improving on what we had.  

Somewhere there’s a parallel universe where Cantona and Shearer, Lombardo and Dani all played in the blue and white of Wednesday 

Forgive me as slightly before my time as a proper supporter, dani and lombardo who are they? 

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Because stories about them on the lash have been exaggerated over the years.

I regularly saw Sheridan with King in the city centre, totally over served. 
I also saw Pearson, Waddle and Anderson, in the same time of night, none the worse for wear.

No exaggeration in saying on one occasion, Sheridan could hardly lift his head out of his pint pot.

To be clear though it was only ever on a Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Forgive me as slightly before my time as a proper supporter, dani and lombardo who are they? 

p7035.png

Lombardo was an Italian striker with 1970's old man's hair

lol

Attilio Lombardo (Italian pronunciation: [atˈtiːljo lomˈbardo]; born 6 January 1966) is a retired football player turned manager; he is currently the assistant manager for the Italy national team. Throughout his career he was usually deployed as a wide midfielder, or as an offensive right winger, although he also played as a fullback or wingback on occasion later in his career.

Lombardo played for several Italian clubs throughout his career, and is best known for his two spells with Sampdoria. He is one of the six players to have won the Serie A title with three different teams: Sampdoria, Juventus, and Lazio; the other five players to have managed the same feat are Giovanni Ferrari, Filippo Cavalli, Pietro Fanna, Sergio Gori, and Aldo Serena.[3][4][5] Lombardo also had a spell in the Premier League with English side Crystal Palace. At international level, Lombardo represented the Italy national football team on 19 occasions, although he was never called up for a major tournament.

During his career, he was given the nicknames "Popeye", as he was thought to resemble the cartoon character's appearance due to his own bald head and strong physique, as well as "the Ostrich" (or "Struzzo", in Italian), because of his pace, stamina, and running style

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

p7035.png

Lombardo was an Italian striker with 1970's old man's hair

lol

So we basically dodged a bullet then. Talking of people with no hair, was watching the re run of the fa cup semi against the pigs in 93 - who was that old man playing for them?!! Looked about 50!

10 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

So we basically dodged a bullet then. Talking of people with no hair, was watching the re run of the fa cup semi against the pigs in 93 - who was that old man playing for them?!! Looked about 50!

Yeah Alan Cork

A nice fella really although he obviously played for 'them'

lol

He said he wouldn't shave his beard one year whilstever the team were in the cup, and would only shave it off once they'd been knocked out.

Owlstalk Shop

I was in Leros on holiday July 92 when it was in all the papers - us and Blackburn were the interested parties. Obviously history shows what could have been and Blackburn had their 15 mins of fame, but got a Championship out of him. 112 goals in 138 games for Blackburn was pretty incredible at the top level.

We then started the season struggling with forwards, and ended up having to put Warhurst up front by September, which to be fair to TF was a stroke of genius or just good luck. We could have a host of silverware that season if Shearer joined us.

40 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

I take you back to the summer of 1999. Danny Wilson was our manager in the PL and had led us to a midtable finish in his first season in charge. We weren’t bad but with Di Canio moved on we needed to improve the striking options that summer.  We were heavily linked to signing a Spanish striker called Dani, who was top scorer for Mallorca helping them qualify for the champions league and got them to the UEFA? cup final that season. All very exciting of course until it was announced he’d signed for a small team called Barcelona instead. 
We then ended up with De Bilde and Sibon who didn’t exactly shine at the PL level, and we were relegated. 

42 minutes ago, Prince said:

Shearer recovered from injuries because he was professional and not down the pub drinking 10+ pints a night. If Hirst had the same approach to the game as Shearer then his career wouldn’t have fizzled out like it did.

Hirst was as good if not better than Shearer for ability but Shearer looked after himself and didn’t p1ss his career up the wall.

maybe to hirst  enjoying life was more important than pushing himself to the next level and the sacrifices that entails ……..

12 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont think Francis was the only one who rated Shearer at that time.

He did go to Blackburn for a record fee around that time.

Basically we didn't sign him because we couldn't afford him.

We could if we had let Hirst go to Man U though I don't think the fans would have been happy at time. 

It would have been a similar situation to when Newcastle sold Andy Cole to Man U, the Newcastle fans were very disappointed but Keegan promised them better and not long after they signed Shearer. 

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be honest with you if Trevor Francis told me water is wet I'd go and check it for myself.

I gave up believing a word he said years ago

he's a football manager who are only one step behind football chairmen when it comes to telling untruths …...your very right to be wary . 

57 minutes ago, torryowl said:

who was that dutch striker think he played for Tenerife or las palmas that Wilson was interested in and went over to watch him and decided against him .?.....

Probably Roy Makaay at Tenerife, he was sold that summer to Deportivo and helped them with la Liga ahead of the two giants 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

he's a football manager who are only one step behind football chairmen when it comes to telling untruths …...your very right to be wary . 

Francis has tried for years to suggest that signing Cantona was a non-starter and that the infamous 'seeing him play on grass' story was nothing but a myth. But a few weeks ago, someone put a scan of a programme from that time on here and in his own column he makes it clear that we were looking at possibly buying him. For me, that was fairly conclusive to what the truth of that matter is. But even if it's not, he's still guilty of lying because his two versions are mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Explain the likes of Carlton Palmer, Ray Parlour, Tony Adams etc etc then?

They never had the injuries Hirst had nor were they strikers who’s game was based on explosive pace and power.

3m was a lot in those days, possibly a record amount.

But our board at the time would rather pay a third of the price for an average player (Italians excepted who were shrewd moves). But time after time if we wanted someone to really push us on and a dead cert we wouldn’t pay it whereas others would. No wonder we drifted away from being one of the top teams in the country