Jump to content
@owlstalk

Michael Vaughan speaks out about Sheffield Wednesday

Recommended Posts

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

 I just think some of the views from some pundits are a bit too negative at times and not too constructive.

 

Waiting for your next reply, saying that I’m wrong again? 😛

 

 

I'd say a more balanced neutral view (taking off your blue and white specs) is that some of our ex players are asked their opinion on things by our press.

If we're struggling at the time they might mention it, but then get labelled 'too negative' or 'not too constructive' 

If we're doing great at the time they might mention it, but the pundit bashers don't acknowledge this ever.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

I haven't cut it as a player for SWFC but as a supporter who watches the club regularly I am entitled to an opinion. Nobody has to agree with what they have to say but don't cut them down for having a view as long as they aren't being vindictive or abusive.

Not sure how good they were as a player is any basis for judging their opinion. 

 

I’m not arguing your point but let’s be honest for instance if Darren Potter went public with a negative view about Wednesday, you wouldn’t get some saying what’s he on about as he was a sh!t player for us?

 

Rightly or wrongly a players success here would understandably make a fan respect his opinion more or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

you wouldn’t get some saying what’s he on about as he was a sh!t player for us?

 

Not being funny but anyone who would even think that needs their head looking into

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

 

Not being funny but anyone who would even think that needs their head looking into

 

You’re going a bit Steve Bould on this one.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

I’m not surprised and they obviously are entitled to an opinion but with the exception of Waddle a lot of the ex-players with a negative opinion didn’t really cut it here. For instance Newsome was hardly Beckenbauer was he?

As opposed to everybody on here. I was more of a Krol clone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

I’m not surprised and they obviously are entitled to an opinion but with the exception of Waddle a lot of the ex-players with a negative opinion didn’t really cut it here. For instance Newsome was hardly Beckenbauer was he?

Not many could claim that, but Newsone did (I think) play most of his career in the Premier League and was a more accomplished player than most currently at the club.  If the club was run in a more professional manner this wouldn’t be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

I think the issue is probably that people find it a surprise that ex players and pundits have a negative opinion and for some reason some believe they shouldn't have the right to voice such an opinion.

Entitled to an opinion. Think it is the journo trying to fill airtime by being lazy,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Entitled to an opinion. Think it is the journo trying to fill airtime by being lazy,.

 

 

WTF

There's no football

He's a football writer


What exactly do you want/expect?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

I’m not arguing your point but let’s be honest for instance if Darren Potter went public with a negative view about Wednesday, you wouldn’t get some saying what’s he on about as he was a sh!t player for us?

 

Rightly or wrongly a players success here would understandably make a fan respect his opinion more or not?

 

If they asked someone like Potter who was widely regarded as rubbish for us and no other ties to the club or the city then yes, rightly or wrongly some would dismiss his opinion based on his career with us. I don't think a journalist would bother to ask someone like this though.

 

Someone like Newsome on the other hand may not have been a shining light for us but did play at the top level, is based in the city and has spent time reporting and co-commentating on our games so while he may not have been a particularly memorable player for us, his opinion of us currently will come from a decent knowledge base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

We need to do a bit of what we were doing (buying quality) and also a bit of what others are doing such as Brentford, PNE and Bristol C ie building a younger team and selling one or two to keep it fresh

 

Too much of the first mode of operating gets you in the trouble we are in.

 

Too much of the second keeps you ticking along. But hardly any make top 6

This. 100% spot on.

 

Even looking slightly further down the leagues, Peterborough's model is interesting. It's a shame we just don't seem to be interested in developing a model to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

If they asked someone like Potter who was widely regarded as rubbish for us and no other ties to the club or the city then yes, rightly or wrongly some would dismiss his opinion based on his career with us. I don't think a journalist would bother to ask someone like this though.

 

Someone like Newsome on the other hand may not have been a shining light for us but did play at the top level, is based in the city and has spent time reporting and co-commentating on our games so while he may not have been a particularly memorable player for us, his opinion of us currently will come from a decent knowledge base.

 

I know but have you ever listened to Newsome’s co-commentary?  Where John Pearson will more than likely feel like you’re on top of a rainbow, Newsome will more than likely have you reaching for the razor blades?

 

Which more than likely means that when he’s interviewed by the local journalists, his opinion comes across as negative?

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

I know but have you ever listened to Newsome’s co-commentary?  Where John Pearson will more than likely feel like you’re on top of a rainbow, Newsome will more than likely have you reaching for the razor blades?

 

Which more than likely means that when he’s interviewed by the local journalists, his opinion comes across as negative?

 

It's a fair point though a lot of the commentaries I have heard from him have been at a time when we haven't had much to shout about. There have been a couple of times when I have heard him and we have been winning but anyone would think we were 2-0 down from his commentary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Not many could claim that, but Newsone did (I think) play most of his career in the Premier League and was a more accomplished player than most currently at the club.  If the club was run in a more professional manner this wouldn’t be an issue.

I liked him until he was a summariser for Radio Leeds when we played them and he called Leeds "we". Game over for Mr Newsome. I feel guilty when I play Wednesday on Football Manager - I actually turned the manager's job down recently and felt dirty.  But I don't think I could work with Chansiri.

 

lol

Edited by rickygoo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

WTF

There's no football

He's a football writer


What exactly do you want/expect?

 

 

WTF lol...expect them to come up with some thing different not the same story from a different author.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, rickygoo said:

As opposed to everybody on here. I was more of a Krol clone. 

How Ruud.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

It's a fair point though a lot of the commentaries I have heard from him have been at a time when we haven't had much to shout about. There have been a couple of times when I have heard him and we have been winning but anyone would think we were 2-0 down from his commentary. 

 

His enthusiasm for a Wednesday goal is a yes that comes across as a wet fart where JP’s Yesssss is like a fart that sounds like a lawnmower 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The “ let’s copy United”;argument is an interesting one. Yes their academy has out performed ours for years.

but on first team matters....prior to the bus driver arriving, they had more or less the same managerial appointments as us....Wilson, clough,  Adkins.  

Their great youth policy and managerial genius got them six years in division three. So let’s not forget that.

But then they did something a bit different, and took a chance on Wilder. Now it wasn’t a massive gamble as he had cut his teeth quite successfully in the lower leagues...and they were in the lower leagues. The rest, sadly, is history.

But we continue with the mediocre managerial Merry go round.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2020 at 12:28, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 12.27.11.jpg


Sheffield Wednesday fan and cricketing legend Michael Vaughan has some views of how Sheffield Wednesday is currently operating..

 

Speaking on Alan Biggs' Sheffield Live show last night, Sheffield-raised Vaughan said: "It is difficult with the infrastructure of the club. From afar, it just doesn't look right.

 

"Ownership is difficult. People have got to put a lot of money into running these football clubs so I completely understand that the owner has a huge amount of investment in the club.

 

"But I look at infrastructure and I look at leadership. I look at the kind of drive of the process of making sure that you have got youngsters coming through your system.

 

"I look at the blueprint for the way that you play and I don't see that at Sheffield Wednesday at the minute.

 

"I don't see the leadership. I don't see the blueprint. I don't see the conveyor belt of local talent that have the opportunity to come through and play for the club."

 

 

"Don't be scared of copying your rivals," said Vaughan, now a well-respected cricket pundit. "I go back to 2003. I got the England captaincy and the first thing I did was copy Australia.

 

"They played aggressively, they played with no fear, they had players in their side that could change a test match inside two hours and we needed more of that style of players.

 

"We freed players up to the understanding that you have got to take more risks. I think risk in sport is an element of how you succeed but you have got to allow your players to make mistakes and that is one of the crucial things that I see.

 

"You don't want them to make mistakes but they have to have that platform of have having a go and you try and beat the opposing team by doing something. Don't be worried about making a mistake. It is what I learned from Australia.

 

"If I was Sheffield Wednesday now, I would be absolutely looking at Sheffield United and doing what have they done that we can copy.

 

"What is it that they are doing that we can bring to Hillsborough, to Middlewood Road training ground, our system that could add a two to three per cent margin in terms of improvement? It might be more than two to three per cent. You never know."

 

He hopes Owls boss Garry Monk is given the time and resources to turn around their fortunes.

 

Vaughan said: "If you appoint a manager to manage your football club, you have to give him that trust and freedom to manage the football club.
 

"The best football clubs for me are the ones that are managed from top to bottom.

 

"Garry has not been in that position long enough. He really hasn't had a window where he has been able to bring his own signings in yet.


Read the full article here by Dom Howsonhttps://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-fan-michael-vaughan-18255540

Not just Sheff U - any club which has made gradual and sustainable (relatively) improvements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think many agree more-or-less with Vaughan.

 

Even so, I've just about lost hope that the penny's ever going to drop with Chansiri.

 

I don't think he'll learn; in fact, sometimes I even think he's going out of his way to purposefully not learn.

 

I think our best hope is that we drop on like the Pigs did when they appointed Wilder.

 

Beyond that, I'm just hoping Chansiri sells us to someone who's got the capability to run a football club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...