Joost Van Aken

On 15/05/2020 at 07:39, Owls-Fan said:

In a word, no he’s not.  

I do wonder if he’d be better playing in left back or left wing back considering his passing and crossing ability. But you’d think the managers he’s played under would know if that’s the case.

Knowing us he will sign for some midtable Dutch side on a free transfer and become Europe’s most sort after wing back. 

I’d be happy to give him another chance -nothing to lose, yet nothing to gain by binning potential talent. Looked great first few games. Player in there. Bannan was a laughing stock at Villa. Fast forward and they wanted him back. That said, can’t see Monk bringing any player on.

Came to a brand new country. Started brilliantly but the derby killed him (Carlos' words). Arrived in Carlos' poor third season and didn't have the time to adjust to the country or the english game.

When we needed a fully fledged and experienced championship centre half we decided to sign him instead, just shows our recruitment pitfalls. It's no slight on him as a person or player, under differing circumstances he could have flourished.

Many always said he'd make a great defensive midfield but he doesn't really have the mobility. I think he'd be fine next to a 'traditional' centre half. 

Very interested to see what happens with him next, it's worth noting that he has taken the decision to go and play football which is to his credit unlike others that are or have been out of favour.

Things like this make me angry, and are making fools out of fans.

We couldn't get top Championship defender in Morrison from Cardiff, so instead we signed Van Aken ?! What the hell ?! One is top player at this level, other is nowhere near suited enough for Championship football. It is awful, Chansiri's pants got pulled down to pay huge money for player who was never likely to improve us.

On 15/05/2020 at 09:21, matthefish2002 said:

I doubt anyone will take him off our hands in normal circumstances but in current situation next to impossible.

While he is still under contract he has an opportunity to stake his claim but I am not holding my breath.

Was woeful v Sheffield United that time.

And this is my point. People have wrote him off as the result of that bad game. It's been 18 months since then. 

Guest ka58
7 minutes ago, beef said:

And this is my point. People have wrote him off as the result of that bad game. It's been 18 months since then. 

they started him on the opening day the following season and he got rinsed.

i always like the look of him but he’s tainted now and if he comes back in the first mistake he makes hell be hounded out again.

Need to shift him on.

13 hours ago, malek said:

Things like this make me angry, and are making fools out of fans.

We couldn't get top Championship defender in Morrison from Cardiff, so instead we signed Van Aken ?! What the hell ?! One is top player at this level, other is nowhere near suited enough for Championship football. It is awful, Chansiri's pants got pulled down to pay huge money for player who was never likely to improve us.

I'll say it again, there's little evidence that we did pay a huge fee for van Aken. Inside information isn't necessary (and I don't have any), but there are some informed suggestions out there. However, simple logic of the circumstances makes it apparent we were trying to find someone who had potential but was not too costly.

I dont care  how much or little we paid all that matters is how he played and you can ping 60 yard passes all day long but if you keep making mistakes that cost you goals then he's  going to struggle to get back in the team  ......never say never but he really needs to up his game .

6 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I'll say it again, there's little evidence that we did pay a huge fee for van Aken. Inside information isn't necessary (and I don't have any), but there are some informed suggestions out there. However, simple logic of the circumstances makes it apparent we were trying to find someone who had potential but was not too costly.

Agree, think the £4M that is often discussed is wide of the mark. There is info to suggest the fee was much smaller but possibly could have rose to that value based on success with us and progression to the Dutch national team which it looks like we wont be paying out on.

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

His regular appearances in Germany suggest that he is probably good enough to be one of our 4 centre backs in the championship.

Why? I'd expect him to get another chance and can't see any harm in that but I wouldn't be confident that he would be up to the job and playing for a club that is in the bottom 6 of the German 2nd division isn't a great indicator, the standard is lower than the Championship.  

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally not sure if he has what it takes but maybe with Monk having been a CB he will be able to get the best out of Joost. 

Yeah, Lees game has developed no end since Monk took over! 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

there is always an exception to the rule. :1276983839_MonkHome:to be fair Lees best days have been behind him for a while though. 

Any other defenders you can point to at any clubs that have shown significant development under Monk and have referred to this at any point?

49 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Any other defenders you can point to at any clubs that have shown significant development under Monk and have referred to this at any point?

how about Pontus Jansson at Leeds. To be fair it was more a tongue in cheek comment and just trying to show a tiny bit of hope we may get something out of Joost. Clutching at straws perhaps.