Joost Van Aken

Would love him to get an actual run in the side instead of everyone writing him off after a couple of games. Our fans must be up there with the worst for giving players a chance. Didn't fans used to slate Sheridan? 

Classic case of a player improving when they're not playing. Will never forgive him for that game against g3he pigs although he was by no means the only one at fault. 

10 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

No it wasn't.

Dutch media had it at €4m all in... that was a fee that included appearance bonuses and a bonus upon winning promotion. €4m at the time was ~£3.2m. So £3.2m all in including promotion bonus and appearance bonus. Quite how those fees broke down and what % they made up the £3.2m is guesswork, but you could make a reasonable case that that means the up-front fee was anywhere from £2m to £3m. So, guesstimate of c.£2.5m... relatively speaking it's nowhere near £4m.

The £4m came from one of either room0035 or McRightSide on here (can't remember)... where from about the beginning of October to the end of November 2017 he started with "I can't believe we wasted £3m on him" and then incrementally and slowly increasing how much we paid for him until he got to £4m. For some reason, everyone believes we paid £4m for him. I think it's because fans fell out of love with him very quickly and the natural pessimism kicked in. 

I know HITC is rubbish but unfair to blame fans on here. The 4m plus was widely reported in the media as a quick google search just proved. There are others too. bbc said 2.7 however which hopefully was the real sum.Screenshot_20200514-194857_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c3fde682054df9ed511550c855ac9a57.jpg

17 minutes ago, Nero said:

I know HITC is rubbish but unfair to blame fans on here. The 4m plus was widely reported in the media as a quick google search just proved. There are others too. bbc said 2.7 however which hopefully was the real sum.Screenshot_20200514-194857_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c3fde682054df9ed511550c855ac9a57.jpg

HITC????

HITC?????

Does anyone REALLY own up to reading anything they say??

Owlstalk Shop

11 hours ago, Nero said:

Worst signing ever. 4m for an untried player who even a fan, never mind a scout, could have seen had a basic deficiency in his inability to turn.

Never mind his other weaknesses such as positioning and reading of the game which maybe could have been coached out of him.

4 bloody mil........

he is 1 of the worst but defo cant rival abdi ,4milion fee 30-35k a week , Rhodes 8-9million 40k a week those 2 are the worst pound for pound signings he aint far behind.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

he is 1 of the worst but defo cant rival abdi ,4milion fee 30-35k a week , Rhodes 8-9million 40k a week those 2 are the worst pound for pound signings he aint far behind.

Thing is Abdi and Rhodes had been decent players. JVA never has was or will be.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

HITC????

HITC?????

Does anyone REALLY own up to reading anything they say??

No but not the point. The poster said other posters (named)had made up the 4mil figure on Owlstalk. Loads of media were saying it was 4 mil at the time.

Still waiting to hear a worse signing btw :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Still waiting to hear a worse signing btw :biggrin:

1) Francis Jeffers

2) Jordan Rhodes

3) Almen Abdi

4) Andy Sinton

Using my own complex algorithms to take into account fee, value for money, affordability, expectation and performance. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

1) Francis Jeffers

2) Jordan Rhodes

3) Almen Abdi

4) Andy Sinton

Using my own complex algorithms to take into account fee, value for money, affordability, expectation and performance. 

How is Rhodes not top of this if this is the criteria you are using. 

Just now, pazowl55 said:

How is Rhodes not top of this if this is the criteria you are using. 

Because Jeffers cost a ton of money that we simply didn't have at that time, fully vindicated all of those opposed to the signing on the basis that he was always injured and on his rare appearances was a waste of space. His negative impact it seems to me was far greater.

With Rhodes, at least we could nominally afford him (although it is a sizeable chunk of the current financial problems), he has not been injured as far as I can remember and we have usually had enough alternatives to not have to rely on him. And although he has been generally a failure, his scoring record is still considerably better than that of Jeffers.

Basically he needs to come back in the Summer and then get a full pre season at the club including any friendlies. Only then can the manager decide if they want to keep him or not. We’ve had 3 different managers since his arrival (I’d you include Bullen) so hard to make any impact when you’re not flavour of the month or in a different country on loan. Our lack of numbers next season will maybe force the managers hand in terms of having to throw him in or not.