Carbone51.jpg

Listening to the Robbie Blake podcast on under the cosh.

He has nothing but praise, even jokes that they told him training starts at 11 when it was due to start at 10.

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Really was a skilful player and shame how he ended his time at Wednesday. Rather taints the good things he did during his time at Hillsborough.

Is there a consensus about how that happened? As I recall, Carbone had his version of events and Richards had his. I'm certainly scpetical about anything the latter has to say; not sure about the former. 

15 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Is there a consensus about how that happened? As I recall, Carbone had his version of events and Richards had his. I'm certainly scpetical about anything the latter has to say; not sure about the former. 

Think they was a contract dispute with Carbone having a year left on his contract.

Wednesday grew bored of waiting for him to make a decision and used the money instead to buy Sibon and De Bilde and put Carbone up for sale. 
Relations between him and club were soured further when he refused to be sub at Southampton and Wednesday let him go for a cut price to Villa just to get him out of the club.

Edited by matthefish2002
3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think they was a contract dispute with Carbone having a year left on his contract.

Wednesday grew bored of waiting for him to make a decision and used the money instead to buy Sibon and De Bilde and put Carbone up for sale. 
Relations between him and club were soured further when he refused to be sub at Southampton and Wednesday let him go for a cut price to Villa just to get him out of the club.

There have been conflicting versions about the contract negotiations. According to the club the player was being greedy, according to his representatives the club was breaking promises and not being fair.

By the time of the Southampton nonsense, Carbone seemed to be under the impression that his exit was being engineered, and took matters upon himself. He may have had a point - by far the best player in the squad, the only one who'd actually scored so far that season and being left on the bench as we stunk the place out. There were clearly difficulties between chairman and manager and 'the two Italians' for a period of many months. Richards gave Di Canio the rope to hang himself (which he duly did) and I wonder if he did the same here.

36 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There have been conflicting versions about the contract negotiations. According to the club the player was being greedy, according to his representatives the club was breaking promises and not being fair.

By the time of the Southampton nonsense, Carbone seemed to be under the impression that his exit was being engineered, and took matters upon himself. He may have had a point - by far the best player in the squad, the only one who'd actually scored so far that season and being left on the bench as we stunk the place out. There were clearly difficulties between chairman and manager and 'the two Italians' for a period of many months. Richards gave Di Canio the rope to hang himself (which he duly did) and I wonder if he did the same here.

I guess we will never know the exact truth.
My money is on the truth between about halfway between Carbones and Dave Richards version of events.

Edited by matthefish2002
4 hours ago, markg said:

Loved him at the time. Preferred him to Di Canio to be honest

So did I but if I'm being honest, I prefer Di Canio to Nuhiu lol

• Haha 2

I also always thought that out of the two Italians; Carbone was technically the superior player. Sure Di Canio was the flair player who dared to do the outrageous and could get you off your seat but Carbone's passing, vision, shooting, work rate (when he wasn't sulking) and all round game, was second to none. 

There again in hindsight I always back the wrong horse on these 50/50 choices, I remember thinking Djorkaeff was better than Zidane and in the battle of the bands; Blur were better than Oasis.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lambownumber5 said:

I also always thought that out of the two Italians; Carbone was technically the superior player. Sure Di Canio was the flair player who dared to do the outrageous and could get you off your seat but Carbone's passing, vision, shooting, work rate (when he wasn't sulking) and all round game, was second to none. 

There again in hindsight I always back the wrong horse on these 50/50 choices, I remember thinking Djorkaeff was better than Zidane and in the battle of the bands; Blur were better than Oasis.

Blur are better.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

I remember seeing it reported Carbone was offered £32,000 a week to try to keep him. 

Yeah, we tried that hard to keep him that Wilson kept leaving him on the bench even though he was the only one who looked like doing anything positive in the short time he did get when replacing the inept De Bilde from the bench.

Guest struckanerve

Had his moments of brilliance but for me he went missing too often and offered no physical presence.

A combination of lightweight halfhearted talented players and workaday championship level hoofers/tryers was our downfall.