In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.29.11.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.28.02.jpg

Another one for people to make their own minds up about

This is Cambridge Street down the side of the new HSBC buidling.

Look at the before photo - how many trees?

Look at the bottom photo where you can see all the new trees planted (obviously they've not grown yet so aren't that green but you get the idea)

Imagine how nice this will look once the trees have grown and developed?

See what I mean about these people ranting about the council or how Sheffield is ravaging the tree population?

Don't listen to them OR me or anyone giving you their opinions on it - Look with your own eyes and make your own mind up

Also the open space, the seating etc

Which do you prefer?

I'm intrigued by that bottom photo........plus the photo on the hoarding of the proposed new building.

Are they keeping the old facade(the bit with the scaffolding around it) and adding a new modern building to it?

It's a bit confusing, because the left side and right side have had the building knocked down and only the outer walls remain, but 9 windows in from the left it looks to be full buildings until the right wall.

Yes, boredom has set it.

2 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

I'm intrigued by that bottom photo........plus the photo on the hoarding of the proposed new building.

Are they keeping the old facade(the bit with the scaffolding around it) and adding a new modern building to it?

It's a bit confusing, because the left side and right side have had the building knocked down and only the outer walls remain, but 9 windows in from the left it looks to be full buildings until the right wall.

Yes, boredom has set it.

Yeah they are! 

The front is stopping, and a new tower block going up behind it

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Yes, boredom has set it.

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 15.38.40.jpg

Owlstalk Shop

Nice to see some positivity from @Owlstalk. Yes, Sheffield is improving.  Would be even better if they banned shops from selling spray paint.

For those interested in future developments in Sheffield, this is a good site.......

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/sheffield-metro-area.647/

Unfortunately they recently 'improved' the layout and made it much harder to navigate. Used to be very similar to 'Owlstalk' in layout.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah they are! 

The front is stopping, and a new tower block going up behind it

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 15.38.40.jpg

Have to admit I don't really like new bits stuck onto old bits.

But I have to say that's not too bad, don't really see the sense in it, but from an aesthetic point of view it looks decent.

Unlike this controversial abomination in Antwerp, which I really hate, because it was a grand old building(think I'm turning into Prince Charles in me old age)

web_60.jpg

Edited by Weshallovercome

2 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Unlike this controversial abomination in Antwerp, which I really hate, because it was a grand old building(think I'm turning into Prince Charles in me old age)

web_60.jpg

So that's where International Rescue are.

• Haha 7

Guest The Claw
23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 17.59.07.jpg

Here's another view of that bar/restaurant hanging over the river near the Castle Markets area

Chris says it's a cafe

On 11/05/2020 at 19:49, @owlstalk said:

I wouldn't normally post non SWFC stuff in here but thought people might be reassured a little during lockdown to see that Sheffield City Centre is doing ok, looking clean and beautiful, and ready for us when we go back to it...

Stay safe everyone x

For those who haven't seen this yet.. 

Owlstalk Shop

9 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

Have to admit I don't really like new bits stuck onto old bits.

But I have to say that's not too bad, don't really see the sense in it, but from an aesthetic point of view it looks decent.

web_60.jpg

Take it down quick before UNI Staffers see it lol

Just read this thread. I can't stand the negative mind-set of some people. 

We have no green spaces, BUT Manchester does. - That is completely incorrect. Manchester's green spaces are poor, so are a lot of its public spaces. 

Its still a concrete jungle - It is a CITY CENTRE where there are some parks, and on-street landscaping. Will you only be satisfied if we got rid of everything and had fields?

Beggars and graffiti - happens everywhere. If you want to get some perspective go to Italy. Never seen as much graffiti as I did in Milan (that leading, global city).

The council paying for development and been in control of busses and public transport - the Council's hands are tied by national gov and are at the mercy of development economics. The council can only guide development through good planning. They do not have unlimited funds to work with. They also do not pay to build student accommodation. They can simply approve or refuse (and then maybe lose an appeal) planning applications.

The council have to work with the decline of national retail - don't expect Debenhams to last much longer. Once they go, a huge unit will be vacant and in private hands. Its things like this where the council will have to react and encourage private investment. 

Sheffield's urban design and public spaces compete with the best in the country.