In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

1 minute ago, metaframe said:

No, that is better I agree and I hadn't seen that.

I'm not sure how many people have actually seen/walked through Fitzalan Square recently of course with everything that's going on, but it's the best it's ever looked. Ever.

Owlstalk Shop

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.29.11.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.28.02.jpg

Another one for people to make their own minds up about

This is Cambridge Street down the side of the new HSBC buidling.

Look at the before photo - how many trees?

Look at the bottom photo where you can see all the new trees planted (obviously they've not grown yet so aren't that green but you get the idea)

Imagine how nice this will look once the trees have grown and developed?

See what I mean about these people ranting about the council or how Sheffield is ravaging the tree population?

Don't listen to them OR me or anyone giving you their opinions on it - Look with your own eyes and make your own mind up

Also the open space, the seating etc

Which do you prefer?

Owlstalk Shop

But they literally cut 17,000 trees down. Planting a few extras as part of a commercial development (which the council can just tell them to do as part of the S106 or similar) doesn't cut it.

I agree some improvement is happening VERY recently.

7 minutes ago, SouthStand75 said:

When town is completed I think it will look a decent place to go, everything they have done so far has been such an improvement on what was there before. People of Sheffield just love to complain about the council regardless of what they do, you only have to read the comments on Sheffield Online whenever an article is posted regarding the Council. The latest one being the building they are wanting to turn into a Blu Raddison Hotel opposite the peace gardens complete with a rooftop bar. I personally think that would only add to the area. 

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.47.03.jpg

Heart_of_the_City_II.jpg

Before and After shots above

How on earth can anyone (even if they hate Labour or the Council) moan about that??

A brand new, state of the art Radisson Blu hotel with rooftop gardens and bars

What's to criticise about that?

(Note all the new trees that are planned for the area too compared to how that area looks today - you know - for those ranting about the trees)

I LOVE SHEFFIELD but my god I HATE Sheffield mentality

It's sooooooooo little village innit

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.37.37.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.37.49.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.38.26.jpg

Does anyone remember the old approach to Fitzalan Square from Arundel Gate?

This is Esperanto Place that leads into Fitzalan Square

Does anyone recall how dark, sketchy and grotty it used to feel? 

The Venue pub is no more! Used to call in there before Roxys. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah it's all gone - along with the chicken shop ha ha

I had a few good times in there too

lol

The Chicken shop was always good value - When I lived in Furnival Place in town it was always a cheap tea to be washed down with a few pints from the Roebuck

• Haha 1

I honestly genuinely now believe (after reading the comments in this thread) that Sheffield people don't actually understand the city centre anymore.

I don't think the majority of Sheffield people have been and seen it with their own eyes, have seen the plans, the changes and the new buildings..

The Fitzalan Square debate for example. That ended once the increase in green space, increase in number of trees, the improvements to the approach, the open spaces, the safety of it, the cleanliness of it were shown in actual real photos taken last Thursday.

The debate ended as soon as the actual reality was shown.

Sheffield people - you really do need to get more involved in your city and not just sit moaning about it

There's so much improvement it's mindboggling. I can't keep up with it and I like to stay abreast of things, go see for myself and make my own mind up etc - there's building work everywhere going on and it's nearly almost always improving your city.

That's why I'm saying to ignore what anyone and everyone says about the city centre. Don't listen to me or believe this post even... 

Just go and see these things for yourself and find out the plans. 

You might just get all proud of your city instead of sitting whingeing about it

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Well, I hadn't seen FS since the update and it does look better, but this is a few extra trees after literally 40-50 years of concrete desolation. 

It is heading in the right direction, but architectural trees aren't really enough IMO compared to the green spaces in other cities. 

Some of this prob goes back to the Blitz tbf.

26 minutes ago, metaframe said:

Well, I hadn't seen FS since the update and it does look better, but this is a few extra trees after literally 40-50 years of concrete desolation. 

It is heading in the right direction, but architectural trees aren't really enough IMO compared to the green spaces in other cities. 

Hang on...

You've now gone from talking about our own city and how we don't have as much green space as we used to (we do - as shown in the reality of the photos I posted), to comparing us to other cities now?

What happened?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Just wanna say thanks to @owlstalk and others for sticking up for the city centre. My dad worked in council's planning department until recently retiring and is responsible for a lot of the regeneration that's taken place in the last few decades, including designing the peace gardens, the new stuff around the train station and a load more.

I'll let him know his (and a lot of other people's) hard work is being appreciated.

Edited by ruusowl
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

Just wanna say thanks to @owlstalk and others for sticking up for the city centre. My dad worked in council's planning department until recently retiring and is responsible for a lot of the regeneration that's taken place in the last few decades, including designing the peace gardens, the new stuff around the train station and a load more.

I'll let him know his (and a lot of other people's) hard work is being appreciated.

It really is

Owlstalk Shop