In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 08.20.26.jpg

Once again I'd ask everyone reading this not to listen to me, not to listen to anyone with an anti-council political agenda, and not to listen to anyone yearning for 'the old days how it used to be' and take a look at the actual evidence here in this photo

This is the modern Peace Gardens

Open, clean, safe.

And look at how everyone utilises the green space in there.

I do. I've never visited the Peace Gardens as much as I have since it was redeveloped. 

You can chill on the grass, have your sandwiches (or cornish pasty from the pasty shop opposite the peace gardens) and watch the world go by.

And you'll hardly ever be on your own either. There's always people in there, using this green space

Owlstalk Shop

peace-gardens-4-sff-2017-photo-c-andrew-musgrave-6588af3c-d770-4ab4-a995-bf0ce62411f2_s1800x0_q80_noupscale.jpg

There's often events happening in the Peace Gardens too, from food festivals, to markets, to concerts to Christmas Fayres etc

It's not been as popular in absolute years.

Note too - the moving water in between the grass areas. Another great addition!

Owlstalk Shop

That grass is literally it though. Everything else is paved over. I actually like the Peace Garden as it is, don't get me wrong. But there's a systematic removal of anything green that requires maintenance throughout the city centre. Why isn't there something like the (lovely) winter garden but not under a glass box?

It's totally incongruous with the rest of the city. We should be CELEBRATING trees and greenery. We should be proud of the 7 trees per citizen stat, not chopping them down because Amey the private contractor says so...

Edited by metaframe

Just now, metaframe said:

That grass is literally it though. Everything else is paved over. 

Apart from the trees you mean

The Peace Gardens hasn't been as popular in YEARS

I would be money on the fact that you (as everyone else did) stopped using the Peace Gardens back in the day when it just became a bit of a no-go area, when it was all grassy, yet full of drunks.

You're yearning for something that never existed

Owlstalk Shop

I'm not yearning for the past - it's looked like a bomb site for years, Hole in the Road, the old peace gardens (whilst greener was otherwise wee wee ridden, yes).

It's the fact trees are being removed left right and centre, and all the regeneration looks like something from a concrete factory advert.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

New water features, a brand new (and VERY popular) fountain, benches to sit and chill out, grassed areas for relaxing, trees...

Open, clean, safe.

And yet people still want to pick holes in it?

Thing is though, that is, literally it. Nothing else.

SP2_9077.jpg

Regular activities and attractions in the Peace Gardens

Regular stuff for the kids such as bouncy castles, slides, DJ's playing songs to dance to

There was none of that before

Fountain for the kids to run through (they LOVE that)

There was none of that before

Look how many people love the Peace Gardens now, and compare it to the dark, dingy Peace Gardens before with it's drunks the sleeping on the benches or worse.

If we're honest here the Peace Gardens is utilised, loved and used more now than it has been in years.

Again I would ask people to not listen to me, others with political agendas, or people yearning for everything to just go back to the 1970's and check out these places for yourself and see for yourself.

You'll see a bright new Sheffield

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, metaframe said:

It's the fact trees are being removed left right and centre, and all the regeneration looks like something from a concrete factory advert.

1200px-Fitzalan_Square.jpg

Fitzalan-Square-Visual-4-Grey-granite.jpg

But I've just shown you one example, where people were ranting, screaming, and protesting about the trees being ripped out of Fitzalan Square.

Above is a before and after shot.

They got replaced with brand new younger trees

And.... MORE trees than were there before

AND... 

Check it out...

MORE Greenery and green space!

Fitzalan Square has never looked as good, EVER (not just in the last few years or so, I'm talking about the entire history of Fitzalan Square!)

Those telling us to scream about the trees being ripped out of Fitzalan Square were just. fully. pure. WRONG weren't they?

Once again anyone reading this - just use your own eyes and see for yourself. You'll notice it's not quite adding up what these people are telling you about the good old days, greenery, trees etc.

You can see it for yourself that the TRUTH is that Sheffield is being improved in every way

Owlstalk Shop

Sheffield Sunday 017.jpg

DfPkkGqWkAAh0Rk.jpg

Look again at the above 'before' photos of Fitzalan Square

Where's the green space?

It's all concrete!!

See what I mean?

It used to be GRIM in Fitzalan Square. 

Now it's clean, open, pedestrianised, and safe.

These people telling you the council don't like greenery, don't like trees, are covering everything in concrete... they're not telling you the TRUTH. They're talking from political agendas, or from a rose tinted spectacled view of the past.

The absolute truth is in these photos.

You can't argue with what you can see with your own eyes.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, metaframe said:

You're literally posting computer generated images LOL

The before ones with Fitzalan Square covered in concrete?

Nope - they're real.

The 'after' shot is showing how it will look once the trees have grown a bit. Showing it now would be pretty pointless in showing people what it's going to look like wouldn't it?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, metaframe said:

You're literally posting computer generated images LOL

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 09.05.01.jpg

Last Thursday afternoon

Obviously the trees are brand new young saplings so haven't grown yet but when they do it'll look even better

Once again I would ask people to see these photos with their own eyes and make their own minds up without listening to ME, or anyone else.

Make your own minds up.

Did you realise Fitzalan Square actually looks like this these days?

Did you know there was more greenery and trees than in it's entire HISTORY?

Did you know that the approach to Fitzalan Square has been opened up from Arundel Gate to make it open, clean and safe?

Or are your opinions on Sheffield City Centre hanging onto outdated reality or the past?

Owlstalk Shop