Sheffield Wednesday Shirts 19/20 Season

44 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Sounds like you did get knock-offs. I bought both home and away shirts and the quality is excellent. The material quality of all the Elev8 kits has been far better than anything we’ve had in years - probably going as far back as the ‘90s.

Well if I did the club are to blame because I got it from the club shop. It's a shiny, flimsy piece of poo. But fashion sense is subjective of course.  Mine just happens to be better than yours. 

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Well if I did the club are to blame because I got it from the club shop. It's a shiny, flimsy piece of poo. But fashion sense is subjective of course.  Mine just happens to be better than yours. 

I was talking about material/construction quality. That isn’t subjective.

I have both of this year’s shirts, and the two previous away shirts. I was playing football in them weekly (until lockdown), and all of them are still pretty much in mint condition. Compared with other name brands we’ve had in the last twenty years, the construction quality is excellent (admittedly the Diadora ones were good too). If yours was flimsy you should’ve taken it back for replacement.

Just now, punkskaphil said:

I was talking about material/construction quality. That isn’t subjective.

I have both of this year’s shirts, and the two previous away shirts. I was playing football in them weekly (until lockdown), and all of them are still pretty much in mint condition. Compared with other name brands we’ve had in the last twenty years, the construction quality is excellent (admittedly the Diadora ones were good too). If yours was flimsy you should’ve taken it back for replacement.

Whether material is adequate quality is subjective. 

The Di Canio shirt is IMO miles better - don’t give a fig about Diadora. 

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Whether material is adequate quality is subjective. 

The Di Canio shirt is IMO miles better - don’t give a fig about Diadora. 

I work in the sportswear industry, photographing everything from finished items to samples and material components. I’ve been involved in the concept and design of footwear and apparel manufactured by brands such as adidas, Puma, New Balance and others. There are ways of definitively telling and testing quality of materials by construction, durability, elasticity, technical features, etc. They can easily be compared. They are not subjective.

And in response to your second comment: Di Canio played for us in the ‘90s. I said in my original post that the current shirts are the best quality probably as far back as the ‘90s, implying that the kits from the ‘90s were good quality but what we’ve had since then hadn’t been until the Elev8 ones.

49 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I work in the sportswear industry, photographing everything from finished items to samples and material components. I’ve been involved in the concept and design of footwear and apparel manufactured by brands such as adidas, Puma, New Balance and others. There are ways of definitively telling and testing quality of materials by construction, durability, elasticity, technical features, etc. They can easily be compared. They are not subjective.

And in response to your second comment: Di Canio played for us in the ‘90s. I said in my original post that the current shirts are the best quality probably as far back as the ‘90s, implying that the kits from the ‘90s were good quality but what we’ve had since then hadn’t been until the Elev8 ones.

Agree with this. The Puma ones of the 90's were good quality but the ones we got from Puma more recently and the Sondico ones were not great. I've found the Elev8 ones to be good quality in the last couple of years and in terms of design they have certainly improved since the abysmal yellow and black effort of the 2018/19 season. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agree with this. The Puma ones of the 90's were good quality but the ones we got from Puma more recently and the Sondico ones were not great. I've found the Elev8 ones to be good quality in the last couple of years and in terms of design they have certainly improved since the abysmal yellow and black effort of the 2018/19 season. 

58 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

You lot clearly wear C&A and George. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You lot clearly wear C&A and George. 

Trust you to pick an argument on football kits with a guy who works in the industry yet still try to style it out! lol

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

There are ways of definitively telling and testing quality of materials by construction, durability, elasticity, technical features, etc. They can easily be compared. They are not subjective.

Well if the material Wednesday used for their shirts is "quality" I'd like to see how that is assessed because it feels cheap and nasty. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Puma in the 90's we're terrible. No fit to them, daft baggy sleeves, material too thick & they went bobbly. Elev8 quality is good & the fit is great, mind you it should be with the development time to launch they had with the first kits.  

2 minutes ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Puma in the 90's we're terrible. No fit to them, daft baggy sleeves, material too thick & they went bobbly. Elev8 quality is good & the fit is great, mind you it should be with the development time to launch they had with the first kits.  

The 93-96 Puma kits were much better fitting than the late 90's ones and were good designs as well other than the shocker of a home kit in 1995-97.

Agree that they were less fitted after that though and both of my shirts from the 97-98 season are bobbly. @rickygoo states they are the best though so who are we to argue with the fashion icon?!

2 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

they all fill me with a feeling of disappointment..sorry to be negative but especially the goalkeeper shirts

You could change the shirts but I have a suspicion that your feelings will remain. :bullen: 

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The 93-96 Puma kits were much better fitting than the late 90's ones and were good designs as well other than the shocker of a home kit in 1995-97.

Agree that they were less fitted after that though and both of my shirts from the 97-98 season are bobbly. @rickygoo states they are the best though so who are we to argue with the fashion icon?!

In my defence, being a grown man I haven't bought a shirt since the 1990s. I confused myself buying one again  - I was over exuberant about the stripes. So I have no recent shirts to compare it with. I maintain that it feels cheap compared with the older stuff.  This season's shirt can't bobble - it's as smooth as a muck star's chuff.

Edited by rickygoo

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

In my defence, being a grown man I haven't bought a shirt since the 1990s. I confused myself buying one again  - I was over exuberant about the stripes. So I have no recent shirts to compare it with. I maintain that it feels cheap compared with the older stuff.  This season's shirt can't bobble - it's as smooth as a muck star's chuff.

Grown men are allowed to buy football shirts you know, can be a good source of income for clubs. As well as wearing them to football matches when supporting their team some grown men have been known to participate in sport wearing football shirts.

The shirts of the short Di Canio era were certainly roomy! 

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

They are - whether it's advisable is another matter. 

If you prefer/need the room that the 1997/98 shirts provided then possibly not. lol

I like the shirts . The quality feels decent and they are pretty unique . As ever with the chansiri era though, the biggest complaint is the price . £59 was blatant ripping off of the fans . Sticking to topic however, two great kits. The green one deffo looks better on ( With a slimmer frame than mine) than it does Hanging up .