Fantastic article on Glenn Loovens in The Examiner today

0_Glenn-Loovens.jpg

Dom Howson has persued an interview with Glenn Loovens and finally pinned him down for an excellent piece well worth reading on the Examiner website today

I hope all local journalists carry on with the more indepth stuff like this (even though Dom's split this into two articles with the other part coming soon).

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-glenn-loovens-exclusive-18229528

Owlstalk Shop

48 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Good story.

Like the bit where he said "As captain it was my job to sort out the dressing room" when Carlos was there.

Wonder who does that now? If you've watched the City documentary, we need a kompany type leader (and player!!). He owed the club. Similar to what Henderson is doing at Liverpool

One of the biggest compliments I can pay Loovens is that when he played, I always had confidence in the defence. Whenever an opposition team attacked I always felt that it would be handled rather than the feeling of dread I get now that “this could be tricky”

I watched the full replay of the 2016 Arsenal cup game over the weekend and they never laid a glove on our defence all night. Unfortunately, the the game also shows where we have gone wrong on recruitment since then. 

4 minutes ago, s63owl said:

One of the biggest compliments I can pay Loovens is that when he played, I always had confidence in the defence. Whenever an opposition team attacked I always felt that it would be handled rather than the feeling of dread I get now that “this could be tricky”

So so true

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, s63owl said:

I watched the full replay of the 2016 Arsenal cup game over the weekend and they never laid a glove on our defence all night. Unfortunately, the the game also shows where we have gone wrong on recruitment since then. 

Apart from when the kicked the nuts of (the player I forgot) in his latter days :1276983839_MonkHome:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

0_Glenn-Loovens.jpg

Dom Howson has persued an interview with Glenn Loovens and finally pinned him down for an excellent piece well worth reading on the Examiner website today

I hope all local journalists carry on with the more indepth stuff like this (even though Dom's split this into two articles with the other part coming soon).

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-glenn-loovens-exclusive-18229528

Top man is Glenn, led by example on and off the field. 

Interesting how he says that Gray liked to be on the pitch getting involved which is what they needed when Jones got sacked, perhaps alluding to Jones' alleged love for the golf course rather than Middlewood.

7 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Wonder who does that now? If you've watched the City documentary, we need a kompany type leader (and player!!). He owed the club. Similar to what Henderson is doing at Liverpool

Yep, as Loovens says, in the first two seasons under Carlos the group was very close and enjoyed playing for him and each other, you could see that from the way they played, even in defeat.

Loovens and Semedo were key to our good seasons over the past 8 years or so, leaders who could act as a go between for managers and players and both trusted and respected them.

Be interesting if he gives his opinions as to why things started to slide so badly in season 3 in the next part of the interview.

7 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

I wonder if we could get him back in a coaching capacity?.

Possible future manager.

He's taken up a career as an agent and scout, probably doesn't want the hassle of the managerial merry go round whilst he has young kids, can't blame him.

I usually hate the Dutch, playing for us never changed that, but found it difficult to dislike Loovens, always came across as a decent sort, since found out his wife is Belgian and they live here, all makes sense now.

Guest wilyfox

Great servant to the club. Lost form & fitness towards the end. Probably one season too many for him. But, perhaps the best leader we've had for some time. 

On 11/05/2020 at 13:20, Burnsie said:

Nobody. The closest we have would maybe be fletcher but he’s injured too much and then possibly borner when he gets a better grip of the language.

1 hour ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Loovens made other players better.  May be not have been the stand out performer week in week out but the influence he had was key. 

Throw Wallace and Semedo into this category too. 

I couldn’t agree more, Loovens was a natural leader as well as a good defender.

Wallace had an ability to change a game if we were struggling to break teams down with speculative efforts which could at least test the keeper (Fulham away and Huddersfield at home spring to mind).

Semedo was happy to play a positive influence on the team even if he wasn’t playing, a true team player in every sense of the word. 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

lol

I worked there for 8 years, the amount of times I had to take a knife out of my back was no laughing matter.

But I'm as good as a Belgian now, who are the nicest people in Europe imho, and as a nation we all hate the arrogant, lazy tw@s over the border, so I fit right in!lol

• Haha 1

Very underrated captain was Loovens. He may have seemed quiet but he was the captain and the players knew it. 

Re-watch the first leg against Brighton in that play off and watch when Nando is getting subbed. He looks like he’s going to throw a paddy until Loovens grabs his arm and more or less tells him to get off the pitch. 

Carlos spoke about him being the leader in the dressing room. Wish we had 11 characters like him now.