Petter Rudi

5 hours ago, james o connor said:

He was very very similar to reach . Had some degree of ability but didn’t do a lot and was painfully weak . 

Was going to say the same. The nearest current play Rudi is like is Reach.
Had good games but not really enough of them and didn't have a tackle in him.
Wouldn't get in worst side we have had last 25 years but sort who would go missing when the going got tough.

I think the passage of time has affected many people's memories. He had none of the typical attributes you associate with a Scandanavian, no heart, athleticism, steel or determination. He barely ever showed up when the chips were down but was always heavily involved on the rare occasions when we routed anyone. One game that stands in the memory was a 5-0 drubbing of Bolton at Hillsborough in 97/98 where he played a blinder and absolutely ran the show despite not getting on the score sheet.

He wasn't the greatest proffessional by all accounts, he was partial to a cigarette and the leadmill's profits were adversely affected by his departure from the club. Also seem to remember a story about his apartment/ penthouse being badly damaged by a leak. 

He used to live in one of the apartments leased by Wednesday in S1.

Very often after home matches we used to go in the Vodka Rev in S1 and Rudi and his best mate Jo realised we were Wednesdayites and asked if they could join us. This became a pretty regular meet during his time at Hillsborough, a really good lad in a foreign country trying to fit in but really homesick.

His mate Jo used to come over as often as he could but he was busy embarking on a career which would eventually make him one of the worlds best selling authors ….. Jo Nesbo.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, casbahowl said:

He used to live in one of the apartments leased by Wednesday in S1.

Very often after home matches we used to go in the Vodka Rev in S1 and Rudi and his best mate Jo realised we were Wednesdayites and asked if they could join us. This became a pretty regular meet during his time at Hillsborough, a really good lad in a foreign country trying to fit in but really homesick.

His mate Jo used to come over as often as he could but he was busy embarking on a career which would eventually make him one of the worlds best selling authors ….. Jo Nesbo.

I remember seeing him in town on nights out a few times but he was rarely with other members of the squad. a mate of mine was involved in local sports reporting at the time and often spoke with him.  

I liked Petter Rudi.

His time was probably summarised by saying his first season showed flashes of brilliance but couldn’t hit a barn door. Second season, much improved and was a good player to watch. Third season, disappointing like most of the 99/00 squad.

One thing I'll never forget was when he was warming up as a substitute to make his first team debut (I think). He ran from the dugout towards the Kop doing gentle exercises and some wag in the crowd shouted out the refrain from A Message To You, Rudy by The Specials. Still makes me smile to this day. 

On 10/05/2020 at 19:11, sexpistol said:

I thought he was a decent player and doesn’t deserve any stick. To think we had a poor player in Booth who the fans liked because he ‘tried’

Booth had a decent first season and that was it, he was terrible after that imo.

But David Pleat called him the "best header of a ball in the world"

On 10/05/2020 at 14:07, pazowl55 said:

52 international caps. A good player.

When looking back on past players I find people tend to say things like he was not that good, one of the worst players we had. Comparing him to Waddle and Sheridan and co. While all the while forgetting we have been out the top flight for 20 years.  

The reality is he was much better than any player we got in our team now is.

Any player we have right now?

Blasphemy! Did you not see FF's goal against Norwich?

• Haha 1