Petter Rudi

My first ever game at Hillsborough was vs Spurs in 97/98. 1-0 up with little left to play he was clean through but somehow managed to shoot wide when it looked easier to score. That's my overriding memory of him. That and him being all arms and legs.

he was ok - a sort of Carlton Palmer/Reach player who covered a lot of ground, but unlike Palmer didn't look dominant in midfield.

He chipped in with the odd goal, but didn't set the world alight.

52 international caps. A good player.

When looking back on past players I find people tend to say things like he was not that good, one of the worst players we had. Comparing him to Waddle and Sheridan and co. While all the while forgetting we have been out the top flight for 20 years.  

The reality is he was much better than any player we got in our team now is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think he was decent. Wasn't helped by having a weird physique (same reason a lot of uninformed non-Wednesday fans slag off Palmer), chipped in with a few goals and assists and covered a lot of ground, even if he wasn't that fond of a crunching tackle. I think his performances were better than most the English 'spine' of that team that sent us down - Atherton, Newsome, Sonner, Booth, etc, (dare I add Pressman too?) who were genuinely Championship level players at that stage of their career, even if 3-5 years earlier they had been Premier League standard mostly (obviously not including Sonner in that second part).

Guest wilyfox

I liked him, Reach reminds me of him. But, he was signed by Pleat when the time came to replace some ageing greats. Waddle's boots were big shoes to fill for Rudi or Blinker coming into the squad. Inevitable comparisons were made, and they weren't in the same class. 

3 hours ago, Animis said:

he was ok - a sort of Carlton Palmer/Reach player who covered a lot of ground, but unlike Palmer didn't look dominant in midfield.

He chipped in with the odd goal, but didn't set the world alight.

He wasn’t fit to lace CP’s boots I’m afraid bang average at best 

I think the biggest problem for Rudi was that we'd been spoilt over the last few seasons and our expectation was still high from that previous era when we were obviously on the decline and we still hadn't accepted/realised it. He'd walk into the current team and realistically any from the past 20 years so he certainly wasn't that bad and he really wasn't anywhere near the worse player from that particular era either.

Fair bit of talent, good workrate, a little bit of a wet fart in the tackle.