Big Jack’s Sheffield Wednesday

33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

AC92D4B3-FC36-4E2D-B13B-792DF0E80001.jpeg

What was it like? Did it bring you hope?

Straight away for me, after the club installing the B & C category managers we finally had a

national icon in charge who had massive respect from the football world and beyond.

Beginning of the better times in our recent history.

Had his own football skills tv programme too - anyone remember that also?

Big Jack's reign was the time I started watching our great club as a 13 year old. Great team playing great football with a great atmosphere. Halcyon days indeed.  Loved it and was hooked from the start. However I do remember it being scary on the cop with the surges and managing to just keep on my feet as I went down an unknown number of steps when we scored or nearly scored. 

Wawaw. 

My favourite memory of Jack was at an away game at Southend. It was in the middle of the famous Arsenal cup run. The match was postponed when a couple of coaches had already arrived, as had the team bus.

Jack came straight out to talk to us in the grounds asphalt car park. He addressed everybody like a head teacher would saying how sorry he was for our wasted efforts (Southend was a bstard to get to in the late 70s). But he said it helps us recover for the cup game adding finally 'and please lads, dont cause any fxxxing trouble!'

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

My favourite memory of Jack was at an away game at Southend. It was in the middle of the famous Arsenal cup run. The match was postponed when a couple of coaches had already arrived, as had the team bus.

Jack came straight out to talk to us in the grounds asphalt car park. He addressed everybody like a head teacher would saying how sorry he was for our wasted efforts (Southend was a bstard to get to in the late 70s). But he said it helps us recover for the cup game adding finally 'and please lads, dont cause any fxxxing trouble!'

yeah, I remember turning up for postponed matches at Southend - and friggin Plymouth!

• Haha 2

Only young at the time, but have a lot to thank Jack for, went to my first home game in 1981 (my mothers family mostly supported the dark side, but I wasn't interested) and was hooked. 

My dad assures me we met Jack at a game and he was a proper gentleman, I don't remember much apart from him being tall, but then I was only 6 (and still a short arse now to be fair).

My overriding memory of those days is walking along the old south stand gangway, past the changing rooms and smelling the linament on my way for a pre game pie. I still get those nostalgic feelings now when I go to hillsborough, especially after not going for a while. 

He raised the club's profile at the right time. We were drifting aimlessly and needed his type of presence and profile to fit the club's fan base and expectations.

He also had links throughout football and brought in loads of different assistants again with high profiles. I found the below in a programme from 78 - it never came to anything but this summed JC up for me - a straight talking optimist footballing legend who would try anything:

Jack Charlton.jpg

1 minute ago, Animis said:

He raised the club's profile at the right time. We were drifting aimlessly and needed his type of presence and profile to fit the club's fan base and expectations.

He also had links throughout football and brought in loads of different assistants again with high profiles. I found the below in a programme from 78 - it never came to anything but this summed JC up for me - a straight talking optimist footballing legend who would try anything:

Jack Charlton.jpg

The Eagle of Montenegro if I remember rightly but denied a work permit. 

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

AC92D4B3-FC36-4E2D-B13B-792DF0E80001.jpeg

What was it like? Did it bring you hope?

I still remember the game against Chesterfield on the day he was in the North stand and then decided to join us.Incidentally, am I correct with 2 out of 3  in that picture with Turner  L-R Tony Toms, ?, Dennis Leman

2 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I still remember the game against Chesterfield on the day he was in the North stand and then decided to join us.Incidentally, am I correct with 2 out of 3  in that picture with Turner  L-R Tony Toms, ?, Dennis Leman

Toms, Brian Cox, Jimmy Mullen, Chris Turner

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark1948 said:

That night away at Blackburn with the New Orleans style marching Jazz band a la James Bond film "Live and Let Die" will never erase from my memory. We just knew we were going up after defeating a promotion rival away.

Went to that game, absolutely amazing but had no idea there was a jazz band there!

They were Marching in front of the stand before kick off and at half time. They didn't go on the pitch just up and down in front of the stand. I remember Ian Mellor's goal, it was similar to the one he scored in the Boxing Day Massacre.

6 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

They were Marching in front of the stand before kick off and at half time. They didn't go on the pitch just up and down in front of the stand. I remember Ian Mellor's goal, it was similar to the one he scored in the Boxing Day Massacre.

Oh right. Wasnt Mellor's goal a diving header?

Guest ka58
28 minutes ago, marconi said:

TonyToms, Brian Cox, Jimmy Mullen Chris Turner

beat me to it Ricky!

Roger wylde on left isn’t it?