Height in the modern game

32 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Absolutely, and that was the main thrust of the thread, keepers and defenders are now giants, along with a lot of defensive midfielders, but forwards, if anything, have become smaller

Oh.  Lol I disagree then I don't think there is a significant difference at all in attacking height over time. 

Footballers, like rugby players, cricketers, and athletes in general, have been getting taller, stronger and faster over the years. It's partly diet when growing up - no-one should be going hungry or suffering from rationing these days. And even their fathers didn't have to go through this unless their fathers grew up outside the UK.

There's even the likes of Messi, who although only 1.70m, would have probably only been 1.55m if he'd grown up in the 70s and didn't have the medical support and growth hormones to help him.

massive difference in height since when I first went ….vic mobley was considered a colossus back in the day at 6ft ….. the cup final side was famous for its strength and power and I think only ellis hit the 6 ft mark and the 5 forwards I doubt any hit 5 -10 …...