#OnThisDey in 2000 - Relegation

20 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

The reason we got into trouble was that we brought in a lot of free transfers with huge signing on fees and huge wages - De Bilde, Sibon & Jonk fall into this bracket. We could have spent the money on far better players who actually wanted to achieve something as the 3 clearly did not

we paid about 5m for Sibon and de Bilde, 2/3m for Jonk.  Decent wages. 

Got nothing back for any of them, nor Carbone and only 1.75m for Di Canio.

Atherton, Nolan, Sonner all released when they would’ve been ok in div 1. Appreciate they probably didn’t want to stay.

The point I was making is that we were neither at the top or bottom end of the spending chart but we needed to either be a lot more savvy in our business (buying and selling) to be a yo yo side or spend more and buy better. Instead we bought average players for average money and eventually went down and had similar financial issues to the likes of Coventry and Leeds anyway.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 09:31, Sergeant Tibbs said:

This was the match that confirmed it mathematically.

For me the match that relegated us was 3-3 at Derby. 
I came out of Pride Park feeling like we were down already. We played really well, similar to a performance at Elland Road earlier in the season, but didn’t take the 3 points.

Not enough leaders in the squad, the ability was there, but when it mattered there wasn’t enough heart. 
And whoever scouted De Bilde needed their job evaluating.

Shambolic that was even worse than that Arsenal one. Imagine if we had just not thrown away those 4 points !!!!

The one for me was away at Highfield Road.... took a 4-1 battering and we were woeful !!! Remember De Bilde rounding the keeper to score our consolation goal and getting booed by our fans as he did as he had put 0 effort in all game.

9 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

we paid about 5m for Sibon and de Bilde, 2/3m for Jonk.  Decent wages. 

Got nothing back for any of them, nor Carbone and only 1.75m for Di Canio.

Atherton, Nolan, Sonner all released when they would’ve been ok in div 1. Appreciate they probably didn’t want to stay.

The point I was making is that we were neither at the top or bottom end of the spending chart but we needed to either be a lot more savvy in our business (buying and selling) to be a yo yo side or spend more and buy better. Instead we bought average players for average money and eventually went down and had similar financial issues to the likes of Coventry and Leeds anyway.

We also rejected a decent bid (circa £2m if I remember correctly) from Leicester for Andy Booth because we insisted on having all of the money up front rather than the usual arrangement. A few months later he left for practically nothing to Huddersfield.

8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Shambolic that was even worse than that Arsenal one. Imagine if we had just not thrown away those 4 points !!!!

The one for me was away at Highfield Road.... took a 4-1 battering and we were woeful !!! Remember De Bilde rounding the keeper to score our consolation goal and getting booed by our fans as he did as he had put 0 effort in all game.

I think I gave up after Pride Park. I only went to one more game that season, the home game against Sunderland. We created one chance and lost to 2 late goals.

Glutton for punishment.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

We also rejected a decent bid (circa £2m if I remember correctly) from Leicester for Andy Booth because we insisted on having all of the money up front rather than the usual arrangement. A few months later he left for practically nothing to Huddersfield.

I think there was a wrangle on him for ages with some useless Icelandic striker supposedly coming to us. Didn’t booth go to spurs on loan instead then came back and we sold him to Huddersfield for 100k and he banged them in there 

On 09/05/2020 at 10:30, Jamie_W said:

I used to think Alan Quinn was the absolute bees knees. I would look after him like a precious flower on Football Manager and try and turn him into a word beater. Arsenal wanted him off me at one point. Turned downn £4.5m I did.

I brought him to every team I played CM with at that time :rolleyes:

Rumors said we turned down 2m from Everton for him.

Bloody hell, I loved Alan Quinn. Breath of frash air in our side back then.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I think there was a wrangle on him for ages with some useless Icelandic striker supposedly coming to us. Didn’t booth go to spurs on loan instead then came back and we sold him to Huddersfield for 100k and he banged them in there 

I don't remember any kind of swap. But losing out on the best part of a couple of million for a mediocre player due to boardroom  incompetence was pretty routine for us back then.

All these comments bring back awful memories of what was an awful season.

my feeling at the time was that we had a squad of players who quite frankly did not give a throw for the club or themselves.

But I have to confess that on the journey home to Sheffield we , myself and 3 mates never believed that 20 years later we would not have returned to the EPL,

UTO

2 hours ago, malek said:

I brought him to every team I played CM with at that time :rolleyes:

Rumors said we turned down 2m from Everton for him.

Bloody hell, I loved Alan Quinn. Breath of frash air in our side back then.

I think we rejected a 4 million bid from Tottenham for Quinn in the summer. Jewell wanted to build the team around him and was the only player not on the list.

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2020 at 10:28, Southie_Owl said:

A result that my mum still reminds me about to this day whenever we are winning going into the last few minutes. Cheers mum and cheers Wednesday for the last 20 years 

Me and brother always remind each other 'remember derby' if we get comfortable thinking we've won .

On 11/05/2020 at 12:28, soldierboyblue said:

I was never bored of going to Liverpool and Man Utd every year followed by trips to Everton and White Hart Lane. Seems we want different things for our club

I think my point is that I took it very much for granted!

• Like 1