#OnThisDey in 2000 - Relegation

Guest LittleG
39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At the time, as a 15-year-old whose earliest Wednesday memories included watching us win the League Cup, finishing finish 3rd in the league, reaching two cup finals and playing in Europe, I naively assumed we'd be back in the Premiership before too long.

To be honest, it took a few years before I started to enjoy watching Wednesday again.

There's not be many years since then that I've enjoyed watching Wednesday; probably count them on one hand.

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

Big leap from Holland and Belgium to uk leagues, especially the pace and physical side of the game. 

Not the only one who's failed to be fair, although he would be more fondly remembered if he had shown a better attitude. 

Getting rid of the likes of Pembridge and Magilton who both played consistently in the Premier league after our demise in the previous 18 months and replacing them with Scott and Sonner didn't help either. 

To be fair that day they equalised via worldies. We came quite close to the great escape and tonked Leicester the final game. 

Sticking with Wilson after the 8 nil and allowing us to lose to the likes of Watford saw us go down

Alan Quinn looked a great prospect at the time. He’d have been snapped up for multi millions these days as soon as we went down 

Edited by Bluesteel

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

I don't think De Bilde was a bad player, he was a 'couldn't be arsed player, we had a few more of these over following years. 

I’ve never liked players who throw themselves to the ground. He may have had ability, but like many in that squad, he couldn’t be bothered. 
I can’t remember him pulling up any trees in the second tier.
Another poor signing.

13 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Not the only one who's failed to be fair, although he would be more fondly remembered if he had shown a better attitude. 

Getting rid of the likes of Pembridge and Magilton who both played consistently in the Premier league after our demise in the previous 18 months and replacing them with Scott and Sonner didn't help either. 

Agree on Pembridge, fans weren’t happy as he wasn’t Sheridan but we got more bargain basement as time went on. Struggling with the realities of the need to spend to keep up.

I did like Sonner though, he was a bargain for 75k and got some decent headed goals 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

This was the match that confirmed it mathematically.

For me the match that relegated us was 3-3 at Derby. 
I came out of Pride Park feeling like we were down already. We played really well, similar to a performance at Elland Road earlier in the season, but didn’t take the 3 points.

Not enough leaders in the squad, the ability was there, but when it mattered there wasn’t enough heart. 
And whoever scouted De Bilde needed their job evaluating.

No the drubbing at Coventry was the final nail in the coffin - we could have escaped and taken some proper hope into the game at Arsenal but that match showed the team for what it was. No effort didn't care about the result or the fans and it is in 40 years of watching Wednesday that every man, women and child turn on the team with 'Your not fit to wear the shirt chants'.

I was there with @casbahowl and the rest of the Gate lads and we were absolutely gutted. Even more so when I lived in Nuneaton and fell asleep on the train home and woke up in Leicester :duntmatter: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Twenty years of Hurt - On this day in 2000  - the Wednesday Way, 3-1 up at Arsenal with goals from Sibon, De Bilde & Quinn only to draw 3-3 and confirm relegation from the premier league.

1254232225_Arse2000.jpeg.96821413eaadf5ec2ff39d2a85ead518.jpeg

1157902175_arse20002.jpeg.aa327e747f39463e368cd0f88efc473b.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzW0ZR8jeU

What language was that commentary in? 😄

5 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I came out of Pride Park feeling like we were down already. We played really well, similar to a performance at Elland Road earlier in the season, but didn’t take the 3 points.

Not enough leaders in the squad, the ability was there, but when it mattered there wasn’t enough heart. 

I think we looked at Robbie Keane but he went to Coventry for 6m and we wanted two strikers for 5m, as usual we were a couple of years behind and bargain hunting. You get what you pay for. 

Even with Di Canio we swapped him for Blinker and we made pitiful bids for Larsson, Beckham and wasn’t there a Brazilian striker Anderson? We supposedly “nearly” signed Dani and he went to Barca. Lost out to Villa on Nillis The only result was not getting the crock Michael Mols...

That kind of media “we nearly got him” line lasted well into the Dave Allen years and beyond. Except we did it to Nathan Tyson instead :biggrin:

6 hours ago, Onge said:

So accepting I was that we would be relegated I forgot the game was even taking place. I looked up the result afterwards on Ceefax. Probably better that way - living through going 3-1 up and blowing it again might have been too much to take (that Derby capitulation was one of the hardest results I've ever endured).

What an awful season that was. But hey, at least we bounced back eh...

Same here. I had come to terms with it by then and didnt see the Arsenal game as important. 

24 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we looked at Robbie Keane but he went to Coventry for 6m and we wanted two strikers for 5m, as usual we were a couple of years behind and bargain hunting. You get what you pay for. 

Even with Di Canio we swapped him for Blinker and we made pitiful bids for Larsson, Beckham and wasn’t there a Brazilian striker Anderson? We supposedly “nearly” signed Dani and he went to Barca. Lost out to Villa on Nillis The only result was not getting the crock Michael Mols...

That kind of media “we nearly got him” line lasted well into the Dave Allen years and beyond. Except we did it to Nathan Tyson instead :biggrin:

We were in decline and no longer attractive to top players.

Im sure I remember a headline on the back page of The Star about how we were in for Kris Boyd, that lasted 24 hours, then a week or so later Wilson had been handed a “war chest” of 15/16 million and the only signing that came Out of it was Danny Sonner. No disrespect to Sonner, who was a reserve player at Ipswich.

I’d no idea we were linked with Beckham,  no more chance of that   happening than Ronaldinho signing for Venkys at Blackburn.

Richards has to take a lot of the blame, no long term plan for the club.

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

We were in decline and no longer attractive to top players.

Im sure I remember a headline on the back page of The Star about how we were in for Kris Boyd, that lasted 24 hours, then a week or so later Wilson had been handed a “war chest” of 15/16 million and the only signing that came Out of it was Danny Sonner. No disrespect to Sonner, who was a reserve player at Ipswich.

I’d no idea we were linked with Beckham,  no more chance of that   happening than Ronaldinho signing for Venkys at Blackburn.

Richards has to take a lot of the blame, no long term plan for the club.

We weren’t what we were in the early 90s but still a premier league mainstay like villa, Everton, Coventry, Leeds who all attracted players. Villa and Everton never went down at the time but Coventry and Leeds did and had financial trouble. We had the same trouble despite being frugal in the market and buying average players. In hindsight had we just put the money up like everyone else was then we would’ve had a better chance of lasting and reaping rewards. Everton now being a prime example.

I think Sonner was ok in terms of what he contributed for what he cost but miles away from what we should’ve got as a premier league regular. 

Edited by Bluesteel

12 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

If we'd beaten Derby & Arsenal wouldn't we have stayed up?

Guest ka58
12 hours ago, Onge said:

So accepting I was that we would be relegated I forgot the game was even taking place. I looked up the result afterwards on Ceefax. Probably better that way - living through going 3-1 up and blowing it again might have been too much to take (that Derby capitulation was one of the hardest results I've ever endured).

What an awful season that was. But hey, at least we bounced back eh...

same.

remember putting teletext on to see how much we were losing by and saw we were 3-1

up. Was amazed and said to my brother -

we’ll lose 4-3.

that side was awful.

remember being at coventry week before and watching players get booed.

at the arsenal game I was stood near a Yorkshire tv crew outside the ground asking wednesdayites there thoughts on the situation and them being very bullish that we'd bounce back ….I couldn't believe what I was hearing and hoped theyd ask me but sadly  they didn't …... wasn't of that opinion but I didn't think 20 years later we'd still be absent from the top flight .