#OnThisDey in 2000 - Relegation

So accepting I was that we would be relegated I forgot the game was even taking place. I looked up the result afterwards on Ceefax. Probably better that way - living through going 3-1 up and blowing it again might have been too much to take (that Derby capitulation was one of the hardest results I've ever endured).

What an awful season that was. But hey, at least we bounced back eh...

28 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

Twenty years of Hurt - On this day in 2000  - the Wednesday Way, 3-1 up at Arsenal with goals from Sibon, De Bilde & Quinn only to draw 3-3 and confirm relegation from the premier league.

1254232225_Arse2000.jpeg.96821413eaadf5ec2ff39d2a85ead518.jpeg

1157902175_arse20002.jpeg.aa327e747f39463e368cd0f88efc473b.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzW0ZR8jeU

This was the match that confirmed it mathematically.

For me the match that relegated us was 3-3 at Derby. 
I came out of Pride Park feeling like we were down already. We played really well, similar to a performance at Elland Road earlier in the season, but didn’t take the 3 points.

Not enough leaders in the squad, the ability was there, but when it mattered there wasn’t enough heart. 
And whoever scouted De Bilde needed their job evaluating.

• Thanks 2

I was on a college trip to Manchester and we were at a bar that evening. My arsenal supporting mate was getting texts from his dad with score updates. We were winning 3-1!!! Drinks are on me!!! Oh yeah, I support Wednesday I forgot that for a moment. 

Poster above is right that it was that game at Derby that was the real kick in the nuts. 
A result that my mum still reminds me about to this day whenever we are winning going into the last few minutes. Cheers mum and cheers Wednesday for the last 20 years 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I came out of Pride Park feeling like we were down already. We played really well, similar to a performance at Elland Road earlier in the season, but didn’t take the 3 points.

Not enough leaders in the squad, the ability was there, but when it mattered there wasn’t enough heart. 

Isn't it alarming that these 2 problem still exists 20 years on!

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I don't think De Bilde was a bad player, he was a 'couldn't be arsed player, we had a few more of these over following years. 

It was a terrible season, relegation was on the cards from early on. 10 games before our first win, after a 8-0 drubbing at Newcastle. 

Memory isn't  great but I thought we were down after the 4-1 defeat at Coventry on the Saturday before. We were terrible that game and the players got a lot of stick. I remember fans chanting 'you're not fit to wear the shirt. Perhaps we just thought that was it after that. 

Who would have thought then we wouldn't  be returning to the top flight for at least another generation.

48 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I don't think De Bilde was a bad player, he was a 'couldn't be arsed player, we had a few more of these over following years. 

Big leap from Holland and Belgium to uk leagues, especially the pace and physical side of the game. 

At the time, as a 15-year-old whose earliest Wednesday memories included watching us win the League Cup, finishing finish 3rd in the league, reaching two cup finals and playing in Europe, I naively assumed we'd be back in the Premiership before too long.

To be honest, it took a few years before I started to enjoy watching Wednesday again.