Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

Just now, BIG D said:

If someone is deemed to be relegated with 9 games left do you think they’d accept it? The rules of the league will say that there is to be 46 games so good luck with that. 

I think Bolton would, doubt they will be gunning to delay their inevitable relegation to League 2 by starting a new season with a 21 point deduction. 

Good to see League 2 Port Vale and Bradford City seeing the bigger picture and accepting missing out on play offs

1 hour ago, Mystic Neg said:

I can't see the Championship voiding the season. They will either play it out or use PPG. There's no room for ifs buts and maybes with all this, if you end up getting relegatedon PPG it's because you were rubbish for the best part of a season. It's not Covid19s fault, or the EFLs.

But in a culture where everyone wants to blame someone else I can see it being an unpopular decision, lots of money wasted on legal action all unsuccessfully.

There's 20% of the season left. Nobody wants to spend anytime in the bottom 3 but if you are within 3 points of safety with 9 games left there is no way you are just going to accept relegation. Next season won't  be in a position to start as normal so why not finish the current season as an when possible?

35 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I think Bolton would, doubt they will be gunning to delay their inevitable relegation to League 2 by starting a new season with a 21 point deduction. 

Good to see League 2 Port Vale and Bradford City seeing the bigger picture and accepting missing out on play offs

Port Vale and Bradford probably can’t afford the lawyers to take on the EFL, and if they could, it probably wouldn’t be worth the risk — the difference in TV and prize money between L2 and L1 won’t be a huge amount, maybe a few hundred grand? Championship clubs missing out on the riches of the PL is another kettle of fish... I reckon that’s why the EFL are so keen to finish off the season

52 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

2 teams out of the 24 that might have lost out but by staging matches behind closed doors if they were to play on they would lose money that would put them in a perilous financial position - more to lose than gain.

Why should Bolton's points deduction carry over? It is not their fault extenuating circumstances have put an end to the season. Why should League One and the Championship clubs accept relegation based on PPG with 20% of the season remaining if the EFL are considering scrapping relegation from League Two using this metric? 

1 hour ago, Mystic Neg said:

I don't think WBA will need to, they'll get promoted as will Leeds and probably Fulham. 

It's the likes of Peterborough and Sunderland that will be disappointed but they can't prove they've lost out on anything. The facts are teams are where they deserve to be right now. 

Indeed, but with 20% of the season remaining. Look back through the history of any league season and I doubt many tables will finish with teams in exactly the same position at the end of the season as they were with 9,10,11 games remaining.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There's 20% of the season left. Nobody wants to spend anytime in the bottom 3 but if you are within 3 points of safety with 9 games left there is no way you are just going to accept relegation. Next season won't  be in a position to start as normal so why not finish the current season as an when possible?

In an ideal world I agree with you but unfortunately our leagues need to align with the rest of Europe. They are all making decisions to either finish or play on. We cant wait til October while other countries have already sorted themselves out. 

There is also the player contracts situation, kit contracts, TV broadcasting contracts etc which make this harder. 

Voiding the season is apparently not on the table so I'm not sure why anyone's still talking about it. If we can't finish on the pitch then PPG is the right thing to do in my opinion. 

2 teams out of the 24 that might have lost out but by staging matches behind closed doors if they were to play on they would lose money that would put them in a perilous financial position - more to lose than gain.

Why should Bolton's points deduction carry over? It is not their fault extenuating circumstances have put an end to the season. Why should League One and the Championship clubs accept relegation based on PPG with 20% of the season remaining if the EFL are considering scrapping relegation from League Two using this metric? 

If the season isn't voided then Bolton start on zero points in League 2, league 1 if no relegation

if it is voided then they start with a 21 point deduction in league 1

i agree the authorities cant have it both ways

3 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

In an ideal world I agree with you but unfortunately our leagues need to align with the rest of Europe. They are all making decisions to either finish or play on. We cant wait til October while other countries have already sorted themselves out. 

There is also the player contracts situation, kit contracts, TV broadcasting contracts etc which make this harder. 

Voiding the season is apparently not on the table so I'm not sure why anyone's still talking about it. If we can't finish on the pitch then PPG is the right thing to do in my opinion. 

Maybe people are still talking about voiding the season because others have done so, like France - so why not align with that European league as they took the lead?

Why do you feel we need to align with Europe anyway? Do you expect European Competitions to take place as normal next season? The Premier League seem much more interested in finishing than restarting but no chance of them fitting their remaining games in to then be in a position to start next season in August as normal and have the season finished in time for the Euro's next summer. 

Indeed, but with 20% of the season remaining. Look back through the history of any league season and I doubt many tables will finish with teams in exactly the same position at the end of the season as they were with 9,10,11 games remaining.

No they are not likely to stay the same but thems the breaks. No one is being victimised here, the same rule applies to everyone in a respective league. 

Ultimately the teams who have done well to date get rewarded and the teams that haven't get penalised.

There really is no perfect solution to this but what we can't have is the only teams who benefit from this situation are the ones who were about to be relegated.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe people are still talking about voiding the season because others have done so, like France - so why not align with that European league as they took the lead?

Why do you feel we need to align with Europe anyway? Do you expect European Competitions to take place as normal next season? The Premier League seem much more interested in finishing than restarting but no chance of them fitting their remaining games in to then be in a position to start next season in August as normal and have the season finished in time for the Euro's next summer. 

I'm not making the decisions Hirstyboy. It's the money men. All I'm saying is that it is apparent that all European professional leagues have been told they need to confirm their plans by 25th May regarding completing the season.

No they are not likely to stay the same but thems the breaks. No one is being victimised here, the same rule applies to everyone in a respective league. 

Ultimately the teams who have done well to date get rewarded and the teams that haven't get penalised.

There really is no perfect solution to this but what we can't have is the only teams who benefit from this situation are the ones who were about to be relegated.

If you are within 3 points of 5 teams above you in the final relegation spot then you are not 'about to be relegated'. Hull sold their 2 best players in January and their form is in free fall. The liklehood is they would finish the season in the bottom 3 if it were to be played out, why should they benefit?

I'm not making the decisions Hirstyboy. It's the money men. All I'm saying is that it is apparent that all European professional leagues have been told they need to confirm their plans by 25th May regarding completing the season.

But why? What is the need to adhere to that? Would would be the ramifications of not doing so?

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

But why? What is the need to adhere to that? Would would be the ramifications of not doing so?

I have no idea mate. Probably down to money. 

What has been lacking is a joined up approach by footballs governing bodies. Ideally, all leagues would have implicated the same rules for this scenario.