Culture secretary says gov are opening the door for professional football to resume in June. Absolutely shocking decision imo while there are so many deaths still happening every day. 

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Culture secretary says gov are opening the door for professional football to resume in June. Absolutely shocking decision imo while there are so many deaths still happening every day. 

they may have well said, football is going to get the season finished so everybody can get their payout and see sky happy and oh, b*llocks to the fans.

Project Restart’ – as clubs have branded their proposal to get the season back under way – initially was working towards a return to action on the weekend of June 12.

However, the target date for a return is now set to be put back at least a week until June 19

It ain't gonna happen imo...not in June at any rate

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Thing is we've never really been in a lockdown. We called it that but it wasn't

Other countries first phase of coming out is akin to our fully blown lockdown..

Football won't start up. Particularly in the EFL

PL will no doubt give it a go until something happens, which is inevitable, then it'll be off again.

You’re probably right, get two or three games played which will confirm the Scousers as Champions and that’ll be it.

A fair few folks will be heading back to work next month, some have already gone back, we have to spend about 8 hours working along side work colleagues with little or no testing whatsoever. 

These footballers will be getting tested regularly, I'm sure they will cope playing football for 90 minutes a couple of days per week. 

14 minutes ago, bradowl said:

A fair few folks will be heading back to work next month, some have already gone back, we have to spend about 8 hours working along side work colleagues with little or no testing whatsoever. 

These footballers will be getting tested regularly, I'm sure they will cope playing football for 90 minutes a couple of days per week. 

Jeeeeeus

Would you send your asthmatic grandma out to join in with them too?

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Jeeeeeus

Would you send your asthmatic grandma out to join in with them too?

Is she a solid holding midfield player or a pacy forward? 

52 minutes ago, bradowl said:

These folks shouldn't really be working if they can't do safe social distancing, footballers will be in very close contact in competitive games. 

46 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Until the government says that you can hug a stranger

Football should not restart.

Overrated, and got me in way too much trouble in the past. 

• Haha 1

33 people test positive out of 11000....so a 1/400 chance and for those under 45 year old unlucky enough to be the 1 in 400 there chance of dyeing Is a nerve jangling 1 in 100000. Its a bloody con!

3 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Project Restart’ – as clubs have branded their proposal to get the season back under way – initially was working towards a return to action on the weekend of June 12.

However, the target date for a return is now set to be put back at least a week until June 19

It ain't gonna happen imo...not in June at any rate

Which then brings the June 30th contract expiry issue in to play, as there is no way all the remaining fixtures will be finished by then and no way that players whose contracts expire this year, will essentially give up their July severance pay. If matches go in to July, and the out-of-contract players play, then that is what I believe will happen.

The whole thing is a right mess and there is no clear way forward that suits all leagues.

57 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

33 people test positive out of 11000....so a 1/400 chance and for those under 45 year old unlucky enough to be the 1 in 400 there chance of dyeing Is a nerve jangling 1 in 100000. Its a bloody con!

I must have missed that report. I'm very sceptical about a lot of the test results bandied about because of the quality of the tests. Please can you provide a link so I can have a look at the details.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, prowl said:

I must have missed that report. I'm very sceptical about a lot of the test results bandied about because of the quality of the tests. Please can you provide a link so I can have a look at the details.

No idea how to post a link but 1 in 400 on today’s bbc and 1 in 100000 yesterday’s guardian...given that neither of these media outlets are shy of making a mountain of a molehill it just goes to show what a farce this has been. Asking young healthy footballers to play football in empty stadiums is not akin to going over the top at the Somme as many would like to portray it. 

Edited by kobayashi
2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

These folks shouldn't really be working if they can't do safe social distancing, footballers will be in very close contact in competitive games. 

The PHE guidelines for mere mortals are vaguer then that. 

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Players whose contracts expire this summer will be allowed to have them extended until the season finishes. 

So you could get the situation where the players a club wants to release will have their contracts extended but the players the clubs want to keep refuse and move on?

Stunning

• Like 1