Happy 85th Birthday Big Jack.

13 hours ago, Carole Baskin said:

Gutted to say that I have no clue what you guys are on about when you talk about him.

Regale some more please.   I want to hear about the good managers in our past. 

He had a very tough exterior but also very understanding nature, invited my mate who had been arrested at Oldham and had been been banned, down to the training ground for a chat and said that as far as he was concerned that he was fine with him coming to the games.

Often he would criticise the way fans were treated at grounds saying that if fans were treated badly then don't be surprised when they acted badly.   Not that he justified bad behaviour he encouraged the police to say that the fans had been well behaved to foster the belief amongst fans that bad bad behaviour was unacceptable.  This seemed to have an impact as for the size of our away following there seemed to less trouble with our fans than with clubs with a similar away following.  He set standards for the fans.

His style of football wasn't the greatest but he installed into the players that they were playing for the club and the fans and to give their best and that they would be rewarded.  Shame that he never had the funds to take us to the next level but he certainly put the foundations in for the next manager to progress the club.

He's  a dam  decent bloke.   

• Like 1