Peter Eustace

6 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Scoring against Bristol Rovers in August 74. Bit of a scrambled effort to gain a 1-1 draw against a team managed by Owls legend Don Megson. 

after the fiasco of the previous season and being promised that things would change a opening defeat at Oldham, a league cup loss at scunny and a poxy draw against rovers sort of said it wouldn't and we wernt mistaken .

• Like 1

Lovely player

He married that Mills lass who's dad had a shop and superb chippy. They lived over the wall behind me nan.

PE autographed my Subbuteo box - team No. 17, obviously. Still got it

Chippy's still there, still good

image.png.8a7d884171be404681a7b15342b9a84b.png

Edited by edmontonowl

39 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Lovely player

He married that Mills lass who's dad had a shop and superb chippy. They lived over the wall behind me nan.

PE autographed my Subbuteo box - team No. 17, obviously. Still got it

Chippy's still there, still good

image.png.8a7d884171be404681a7b15342b9a84b.png

I live in that house now. There is still evidence of a botched repair he did to the roof and got bitchumen all down the lovely stone work.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Wiggo said:

I was at the City game as well, one of the stand out games in 50 years watching Wednesday. For a moment after Coleman smashed that goal in at the Kop End I thought we might just pull it off 😞

The surge on the Kop when that went in was massive.....I lost a shoe & never found it again....me mother went mad.

• Haha 1

Thanks for information Torry Owl. No Colin Dobson never fulfilled that early promise although he did o.k. at Huddersfield (they reached a League Cup Semi) in the 2nd Division. Injuries played a part + despite a vital goal at Newcastle in Round 4 in 1966 Brown, like Ramset, stopped playing out and out wingers. I have the slightly melancholic Megson book and I know he and Dobson were good mates - I must re-read it about the latter's relationship with Brown.

On 10/05/2020 at 08:15, qantas said:

The surge on the Kop when that went in was massive.....I lost a shoe & never found it again....me mother went mad.

A good story. Not sure if it's because of lockdown, but the nostalgia on Owlstalk is awesome. Basically you lot doing years ago what we're now doing - and some of you still are and were doing it back then. I was 1 when City sent us down. My dad used to say City did all they could to keep us up. Keep all the old stories coming. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 12:29, Colin Dobson said:

Thanks for information Torry Owl. No Colin Dobson never fulfilled that early promise although he did o.k. at Huddersfield (they reached a League Cup Semi) in the 2nd Division. Injuries played a part + despite a vital goal at Newcastle in Round 4 in 1966 Brown, like Ramset, stopped playing out and out wingers. I have the slightly melancholic Megson book and I know he and Dobson were good mates - I must re-read it about the latter's relationship with Brown.

story goes that we were playing west brom and at half time brown rips into Dobson that Williams (his marker) hadn't broken sweat when Dobson replied" don't worry boss neither have I " brown pinned him against the wall by his  throat ……. think there was a feeling that dobby didn't relish the physical side of the game and you were on borrowed time in an alan brown team if that was the case .

5 hours ago, Cockers said:

A good story. Not sure if it's because of lockdown, but the nostalgia on Owlstalk is awesome. Basically you lot doing years ago what we're now doing - and some of you still are and were doing it back then. I was 1 when City sent us down. My dad used to say City did all they could to keep us up. Keep all the old stories coming. 

Your dad was right, City did do all they could....well apart from Boyer, he mustn't have read the script before he came on.

4 minutes ago, qantas said:

Your dad was right, City did do all they could....well apart from Boyer, he mustn't have read the script before he came on.

If I remember right City were playing a game in Europe after us, maybe a final, Boyer must have been playing for a spot in that starting lining up....no other explanation for me...the rest of em were trying not to get injured.

Still, Coleman's goal was a something to behold, I think the Kop sucked it into the net.

Edited by qantas

On 09/05/2020 at 13:52, Ash77 said:

Was a forward who averaged under 1 goal per 10 games for us, but all i remember was his disastrous 3 month manager stint when wilko left, yet when he was sacked somehow we got big ron.

Eustace used to leave hirsty on bench and allegedly tried to flog him to everton on cheap, so could he spot a player?

Chris turner thought yes when he was in charge, so hired him as scout after eustace was sacked as leyton orient manager.

When he was sacked again by us as scout, his case for unfair dismissal against us also failed, according to wiki.

Eustace was a player of elegance who would have stood comfortably in the company of Ian Knight , Franz Bekenbauer, Glen Hoddle and Ziggy Johnsson. I don't know what West Ham did with him but it didn't do him any favours.

So what else don't you know about Peter Eustace ? 

• Like 2

Thinking back...either Bremner or Giles got injured early on in that famous Elland Road cup replay, which gave Eustace a lot more space and time in midfield...but my God he did use it well that night. I’ll never forget travelling back with my parents, car horns blasting all the way down the M1!!

7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Eustace was a player of elegance who would have stood comfortably in the company of Ian Knight , Franz Bekenbauer, Glen Hoddle and Ziggy Johnsson. I don't know what West Ham did with him but it didn't do him any favours.

So what else don't you know about Peter Eustace ? 

Abssolute classy midfield player , who was one of my first favourite players was gutted when he left for West Ham, although delighted when he returned but age had then caught up with him and the team was garbage. The 1966 cup run he was phenomenal and shame we never built  a team around him, player in the same mould as Sheridan. Not cut out to be a manager but good assistant to Wilkinson. 

• Like 1