Peter Eustace

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 09.16.26.jpg

PETER EUSTACE

So how good was he when he was in his prime? He was a little before my time, but I understand he was an elegant “inside forward” who was unlucky not to gain England recognition In fact, wasn’t he called up to one of the squads, but had to withdraw at the last minute

• Like 1

I remember him well, great cultured player.....I can recall a goal he scored at the Kop end where the ball came to him at the edge of the box, he put a foot on it, looked up at the top corner of the net & just placed it brilliantly in such a calm manner, I tried to play like him for the school & in the park etc....I remember that goal & the one Tony Coleman scored against City when were relegated like it was yesterday....funny how some things stick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, qantas said:

I remember him well, great cultured player.....I can recall a goal he scored at the Kop end where the ball came to him at the edge of the box, he put a foot on it, looked up at the top corner of the net & just placed it brilliantly in such a calm manner, I tried to play like him for the school & in the park etc....I remember that goal & the one Tony Coleman scored against City when were relegated like it was yesterday....funny how some things stick.

How close was he to getting that England cap, do you recall?

I don't know what age he was he secured Tommy Macs place but he was superb. Elegance personified. His top game came at Elland Road against the Champions in an F.A. Cup replay, The Brian Woodhall game ? Yeah right Eustace ran the show from start to finish and the coup de grass as time was running down was to take an age over free kick with the Leeds fans going wild. He paced out his run up and launched the ball clean out of the ground.

He got into serious trouble with management after doing serious harm to himself whilst skiing at the moors up Bolsterstone he was out quite a while and not long after was moved on to West Ham. He came back but was a long way off the player we said goodbye to.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Nicknamed 'The Squire of Stocksbridge' , returned in the mid 70s but not quite the player he was by then. 

Which he absolutely hated by the way.

Classy player who didn't hit the highspot that he promised as a youngster...was one of the 6 good players in danny William's infamous quote who then promptly  sold him to west ham ..hammers fans never rated him when he went there..

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Classy player who didn't hit the highspot that he promised as a youngster...was one of the 6 good players in danny William's infamous quote who then promptly  sold him to west ham ..hammers fans never rated him when he went there..

You would have thought he’d suited West Ham’s style. A lot of the older Wednesday fans tell me, he was some player, and was perhaps unfortunate to be playing when the country had a few good number  tens.

11 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I thought at the time that he didn’t have the guile and creativity that was required for us. He was a third division player at best. 

Was that when he returned to the club? I think I saw a few of those games, and don’t remember him being anything special. Maybe as a little boy, I did see him play in his pomp, when we ended Derby County’s First División run, but I don’t remember too much about it

A very good player but not a great player. He had all the skills and had a bit of devil in him in his younger days. I remember his Hillsborough debut. Didn’t he get sent off for poleaxing somebody.

That incident at Leeds was an example. Team running down the clock are awarded a free kick. Takes his time over it then somehow manages to kick the ball over the stand roof. Hilarious.

On his day a great attacking midfielder/ inside forward but not enough of those days. Always seemed to be playing with a bit in reserve cos he lacked a bit of pace I thought. I always thought his style was much more suited to the West Ham/ Martin Peters type of game but it never worked for him there.

Sadly became useless Eustace when he returned to Hillsborough but his form was clearly reduced by injury by then.

8 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I don't know what age he was he secured Tommy Macs place but he was superb. Elegance personified. His top game came at Elland Road against the Champions in an F.A. Cup replay, The Brian Woodhall game ? Yeah right Eustace ran the show from start to finish and the coup de grass as time was running down was to take an age over free kick with the Leeds fans going wild. He paced out his run up and launched the ball clean out of the ground.

He got into serious trouble with management after doing serious harm to himself whilst skiing at the moors up Bolsterstone he was out quite a while and not long after was moved on to West Ham. He came back but was a long way off the player we said goodbye to.   

Spot on analysis. One of my first heroes, classy player in his prime.

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You would have thought he’d suited West Ham’s style. A lot of the older Wednesday fans tell me, he was some player, and was perhaps unfortunate to be playing when the country had a few good number  tens.

He was more an attacking right half than a number 10  a poor mans Glenn hoddle kind ....I recall reading that west ham fans were hoping that he was the type to stiffen up ther midfield and after seeing him a few times decided that he was no different to what they had .....good player though and probably better than some that got a cap or 2.

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

He was more an attacking right half than a number 10  a poor mans Glenn hoddle kind ....I recall reading that west ham fans were hoping that he was the type to stiffen up ther midfield and after seeing him a few times decided that he was no different to what they had .....good player though and probably better than some that got a cap or 2.

OK, yes I meant, the old idea of a number 10, not the modern definition Invariably players like him happened to wear the number 10 shirt back then, or so it appears Him over the road, for example

He was one of my heroes when I was young. Looking back he did play in a way that suggested a lack of pace. My elder brother always told he was one of the players that wasn't happy about the money Tommy Craig was getting and it was one of reasons he moved to West Ham.