Keiran Maguire "It's like having Lionel Messi on the subs bench"

Keiran-Maguire.jpg

Football Finance expert Keiran Maguire has given his thoughts on the upcoming EFL hearing

Speaking to BBC Radio Sheffield, Maguire said: "My understanding is that the legal team that Wednesday employed, in my view, are the best in the business.

"It's the equivalent of having Lionel Messi on the subs' bench with five minutes to go when you're 1-0 down and then turn it into a victory. The people they have representing them are excellent."

Regarding the charges against Chansiri, Meire and Redgate being dropped recently Maguire says

"It's good news for all three individuals concerned.

"I think it's got to raise hopes of Wednesday fans as well.

"If the club executives have been found to have conducted themselves properly then that's got to give a boost to the club and the way that it's conducted itself with regards to the transactions in respect of the stadium."

With regards to why the hearing has been a long time coming he added: 

"The chances are the lawyers working on this will be working from home and won't have access to documentation and evidence on both sides.

"I know some fans are concerned that it's the EFL who are judge and jury.

"But the three people who have been appointed to the panel have a degree of independence.

"I think Wednesday had a say in one of them, the EFL with another and the third is effectively completely neutral."

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Key said:

Imagine the meltdown though if Wednesday were 1-0 down and had left Lionel Messi on the subs' bench until the last five minutes! 

WTF:

I think Jos would have - especially if we were playing someone tough like Millwall. 

• Haha 6

Just now, rickygoo said:

How dare he say something positive about Wednesday's legal team? I for one will be taking no notice of what he says. It's an egotistical no mark with a vendetta against us. There must be an ulterior motive. 

He's obviously had his card marked!

Or he's been reading Owlstalk!

lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Key said:

Imagine the meltdown though if Wednesday were 1-0 down and had left Lionel Messi on the subs' bench until the last five minutes! 

WTF:

Even if they conceded in the 84th minute and were saving him for the European Cup final on Saturday.

lol

• Haha 1

I follow Nick De Marco on twitter. He posted about this earlier and a point in particular which applies to our case too.

I've just read the verdict in full and this is far more like our case than the Macclesfield one.

Stevenage were charged with trying to deceive the EFL.

Nick De Marco made the EFL look stupid.

Turns out although the EFL strongly suspected Stevenage acted to bend the rules all of the EFL stuff was all circumstantial.

If the EFL put the same type of charge up against us it will get detonated. 

Doesn't matter what people think happens it's what you can prove as the Stevenage case shows. 

Any layman looking at what happened would think Stevenage were guilty.

7 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

How dare he say something positive about Wednesday's legal team? I for one will be taking no notice of what he says. He's an egotistical no mark with a vendetta against us. There must be an ulterior motive. 

He's not a certified lawyer is he? So what does he know? Ignore him.

1 minute ago, Nero said:

And they might be. That's what good lawyers are paid top dollar for.  Hopefully, guilty or not, he does the same job for us. 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

I follow Nick De Marco on twitter. He posted about this earlier and a point in particular which applies to our case too.

I've just read the verdict in full and this is far more like our case than the Macclesfield one.

Stevenage were charged with trying to deceive the EFL.

Nick De Marco made the EFL look stupid.

Turns out although the EFL strongly suspected Stevenage acted to bend the rules all of the EFL stuff was all circumstantial.

If the EFL put the same type of charge up against us it will get detonated. 

Doesn't matter what people think happens it's what you can prove as the Stevenage case shows. 

How very dare you assume I think that we might have done anything questionable with supporting evidence that is a matter of public record.

:ph34r:

But if we are not penalised due to the EFL being overmatched, I'll take that regardless.

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Keiran-Maguire.jpg

Football Finance expert Keiran Maguire has given his thoughts on the upcoming EFL hearing

Speaking to BBC Radio Sheffield, Maguire said: "My understanding is that the legal team that Wednesday employed, in my view, are the best in the business.

"It's the equivalent of having Lionel Messi on the subs' bench with five minutes to go when you're 1-0 down and then turn it into a victory. The people they have representing them are excellent."

Regarding the charges against Chansiri, Meire and Redgate being dropped recently Maguire says

"It's good news for all three individuals concerned.

"I think it's got to raise hopes of Wednesday fans as well.

"If the club executives have been found to have conducted themselves properly then that's got to give a boost to the club and the way that it's conducted itself with regards to the transactions in respect of the stadium."

With regards to why the hearing has been a long time coming he added: 

"The chances are the lawyers working on this will be working from home and won't have access to documentation and evidence on both sides.

"I know some fans are concerned that it's the EFL who are judge and jury.

"But the three people who have been appointed to the panel have a degree of independence.

"I think Wednesday had a say in one of them, the EFL with another and the third is effectively completely neutral."

Neil - stir the pot Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

• Haha 8

I never minded Maguire and he does speak a lot of uncomfortable truths. But I also think it’s a fair accusation that he likes to sensationalise things and it’s job to report these stories which he can hype up a bit. If I’m honest I think he’s got his story angle that we’re the worst of the worst when it comes to financial loopholes etc. This to me is a bit like saying ‘well if they win the case that’s because they had an unfair advantage.’ Maybe I’m being bias but it sounds like he’s getting his defence in early if he has to backtrack.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

How dare he say something positive about Wednesday's legal team? I for one will be taking no notice of what he says. He's an egotistical no mark with a vendetta against us. There must be an ulterior motive. 

Discuss the content  and not the source.