@owlstalk

Sheffield Wednesday's Academy start releasing players

4 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

Does that benefit them though as they will be cheaper than an experienced pro?

Good point,  but professional footballers at the lower league clubs are going to be impacted by the new reality.

Disappointed for Conor Kirby but his loan spell last year should ensure he gets himself a club...…….wouldn't be surprised to see Holloway take hin to Grimsby maybe ?

What probably didn't help Conor is the fact that central midfield is the strongest area of all for our young uns with Hunt, Shaw, Waldock and Grant all looking decent prospects.

12 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

Why does everyone talk about Borukov? There is no way he'll make it as a professional in England. I hope he does but he's severely limited IMO

Hunt, O Brien, Grant and Shaw are the prospects for me. That being said I'd have never put Orughide in there and he got his chance 🤷‍♂️

I’m basing it on those that have at least made the bench this season. Also we are going to be light in strikers at the end if the season so if we struggle to recruit he may be a low down option.

10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I have known two or three lads over the years and the skill and ability they had was amazing, but the clubs didn't want to know.  To make it as a professional, your skill set must ridiculously high. 

I think mindset plays a big part too. You can have loads of skill but if you’re not a team player nobody wants to know. 

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I think mindset plays a big part too. You can have loads of skill but if you’re not a team player nobody wants to know. 

Yep, that has to be a big part of it.

36 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

When he’s sick and can’t make it into work does his mum ring up to tell them?

Joking aside I thought he was decent when I saw him play. We’ve not got too many that will make the jump now from the U23s. Probably looking at Hunt and maybe Borukov and Shaw. Time will tell.

She wasn’t announcing it,she was replying to a post that said he hoped that Connor was going to make the first team soon.

55 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

Why does everyone talk about Borukov? There is no way he'll make it as a professional in England. I hope he does but he's severely limited IMO

Hunt, O Brien, Grant and Shaw are the prospects for me. That being said I'd have never put Orughide in there and he got his chance 🤷‍♂️

I’d agree about Borukov. He’s been on the bench with the U23’s a lot this season. Where’s Damba as well. Have they scored 6 goals between them in the last 12 months??

Hunt, Grant and Dawodu for me. Maybe Shaw.

Waldock has a lot of qualities too. Big season  coming up.

• Like 1

Shame about Kirby, thought he was a decent prospect, one of the better young uns. Would much rather see people like him in and around the squad than Pessy. 

1 hour ago, Smackavolley said:

I’d agree about Borukov. He’s been on the bench with the U23’s a lot this season. Where’s Damba as well. Have they scored 6 goals between them in the last 12 months??

Hunt, Grant and Dawodu for me. Maybe Shaw.

Waldock has a lot of qualities too. Big season  coming up.

I forgot about Dawodu. Has he been out, I haven't seen him.when I've popped down for a while. 

We are a strange club. When we loan a young player out it should mean that we are developing them. But in our case I have found it normally means we dont want them anymore. 

17 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We are a strange club. When we loan a young player out it should mean that we are developing them. But in our case I have found it normally means we dont want them anymore. 

True, but also I suppose it's a kinda way of testing them to see how they perform in a harsher environment than academy football.

When will the club release the list?

I saw Hunt on the training video. Anyone else on there?

They train with the seniors. Maybe the gulf between them in terms of quality is glaringly obvious. Some of these lads are of an age they should be breaking through. If they can't mix it, what's Monk supposed to do? I never believed Stobbs would make it. Thought Jos handing him a new 2.5yr deal was overly generous at the time. Borukov's progress has stalled.

17 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

really hope he gets more game time when the season restarts. Got to be ahead of Pessy surely. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

Grant and Shaw.

Going by what some players put on Twitter I think that most, if not all U-18 & U-23 players are already told if they have future at the club.

I just think that club can't be bothered to make official statement about it.

Players have been released for a while now. Can't understand why the club have not released a statement, unless there is some re-evaluation going on behind the scenes. 

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I have known two or three lads over the years and the skill and ability they had was amazing, but the clubs didn't want to know.  To make it as a professional, your skill set must ridiculously high. 

I've always thought this, as fans we criticise but the level you have to be to even BE a professional is so high. I knew 2 lads who were miles better than anyone else with fabulous skill, fitness and application. One was at Wednesday but was released after a year, the other one never even got a trial.

• Like 1

Hagan always seemed to have speed, trickery and an eye for goal, but he seems to have gone off the radar

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hagan always seemed to have speed, trickery and an eye for goal, but he seems to have gone off the radar

He’s been injured for much of the season.

Don’t think one can underestimate how good the 18’s midfield was last season when they won the league. 

Hagan is proper quick. Results suggest this years U18’s have been on the back foot and nowhere as good as last years group. 

i’d be amazed if he hasn’t got a pro contract.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

U18S and U23s season has been ended so they are probably not training at the moment. Maybe a couple who might be needed for the first team like Hunt.

Edited by Etchesketch