Josh Windass: Keep or Kick?

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we will need a mix of experience too. Hard to judge Monk in my view as he had us up there and then when the usual suspects were sidelined we plummeted just like under JL

Have to agree with this. Monk may have been better waiting to the end of the season and then letting them go rather than side lining them and playing inferior players in their positions.

For me, if we’re looking for an attacking midfielder, there are better options out there. Personally, I’d like us to go for young Holland, the West Ham midfielder currently on loan at Oxford. Seen a fair bit of him, and he’s a good player, and someone who can dominate games. An all action attacking midfielder, he a very talented youngster who loves getting on the ball

I say keep too. Looks like a trier who knows how to score. From his cameo appearances.

We just need a manager who knows his best team / players / formation / tactics.

ps - I thought Van Aken was going to be good for us lol

Edited by theowlsman

4 hours ago, pioowl said:

Why not?

No money to spend as we have spent it all in high wages, basket case of a club with no plan for moving forward, potential points deduction, poor training facilities, old worn out stadium, not a particularly desirable area of the country

Dom Howson :

“I know he has chipped in with a couple of goals but I haven’t actually been that impressed with Windass since he joined Wednesday. I expected him to perform better than what he has“

“Unless Windass has a really strong end to the season, I suspect Wednesday might look elsewhere at bolstering their forward line.”

Owlstalk Shop

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Dom Howson :

“I know he has chipped in with a couple of goals but I haven’t actually been that impressed with Windass since he joined Wednesday. I expected him to perform better than what he has“

“Unless Windass has a really strong end to the season, I suspect Wednesday might look elsewhere at bolstering their forward line.”

Yes my thoughts, as I mentioned, I’d like to see us make a move for young Nathan Holland, or at least show a bit more imagination than Josh Windass

On 07/05/2020 at 11:12, Wor’Jackie said:

I would say ‘keep’.

Him having no future at Wigan if the talk is to be believed and a large exodus expected mostly consisting of attackers and midfielders from our squad, it would make sense to try and tie him down.

Bang average get rid

Keep. Decent age, one of the few players who picks the ball up and runs with it, doesn't shirk it as well. Good attitude as well, like his dad a bit of character and I think we badly need that in the dressing room at the moment. I do struggle to understand what people who are saying no expect from our recruitment in the summer (or whenever it happens). I'd argue Windass himself might be out of our price range depending on what happens regarding the EFL hearing.

On 07/05/2020 at 11:12, Wor’Jackie said:

I would say ‘keep’.

Him having no future at Wigan if the talk is to be believed and a large exodus expected mostly consisting of attackers and midfielders from our squad, it would make sense to try and tie him down.

Why is he not in Wigan’s plans?must be worrying for us

23 hours ago, victorturner said:

Why is he not in Wigan’s plans?must be worrying for us

The worst I've seen said about him on the Wigan Fan Forum is that he perhaps thinks he’s better than he is, but has been one of their better players before he was shipped out to us.

My guess would be that Windass and Paul Cook have had “creative differences” which lead to Windass being frozen out. Cook isn’t exactly Man of the Year at Wigan if the fans chatter is to be believed (“inflexible tactically, taken us as far as we can, not using players correctly”). It looks complicated without knowing everything 

Would there be a similar issue for us if he signed on permanently? I can’t say, and anyone who says they know for certain is talking guff.

The immediate situation facing us is this: the number of players leaving this summer is in the double digits, and throwing in the YTS to fill the gaps will lead to disaster. Windass has shown more positive traits than negative in his time here, and why monk hasn’t played him more is baffling (another mark against Monk then).

on Luongo, he has been very good when he has played but the lack of playing time is killing him and us. He is still a good player to have around, but we’ll need another player of his type in the squad to cover for him.

Wickham and Da Cruz have shown nothing to warrant any further interest.

I’ll likely get rebuffed for saying this but I still think letting Josh Mceachran go was a mistake. With Keiren Lee looking like a spent force, he would have been a  good alternative in the centre alongside Bannan and Hutchinson early on in the season at the very least and perhaps even later on when the wheels were falling off.

On the evidence I’ve seen, he’s no better than what we have. More importantly, what role does he perform? Don’t see him in a midfield two, that’s for sure. In fact, his role seems to be similar to that of David Platt back in the day Obviously not as good, but capable of getting into goalscoring positions, without actually adding much to the midfield Does anyone know where Wigan used him?