Josh Windass: Keep or Kick?

Keep.

He’s one of those players I used to hate playing against. He’s not the most technically gifted footballer in the squad but, his work rate and application are up there with Fletcher.

Considering the so called dressing room issues, players like Windass are the ones who help set the tone. Exactly the sort of player we should be looking at.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Keep. Our problems have been attitude and application not a lack of talent. I think he's shown enough to appear to not have issues in those departments

Yes we do need to bring in some younger energetic players, but we also need to make sure we are not replacing those leaving, with players of inferior quality. This window is a big moment for us, and what we do will determine the direction of travel. The signs are not good, it’s unlikely that we will have any money to invest in quality. We will need to unearth a few gems, and whether it be Monk, or the an unnamed panel, doing the recruiting, neither really fill me with much confidence. 

16 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He’s probably the kind of player we will be going for. A bit raw but potential to improve at this level 

Can remember that was Chris Turner’s approach, and indeed we brought in some players who turned out to be pretty good No good though if the manager can’t get the best out of them though

Edited by gurujuan

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He’s probably the kind of player we will be going for. A bit raw but potential to improve at this level 

I hope we have this policy going forward. We need to take a chance on players like this. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can remember that was Chris Turner’s approach, and indeed we brought in some players who turned out to be pretty good No good though if the manager can’t get the best out of them though

I think we will need a mix of experience too. Hard to judge Monk in my view as he had us up there and then when the usual suspects were sidelined we plummeted just like under JL

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we will need a mix of experience too. Hard to judge Monk in my view as he had us up there and then when the usual suspects were sidelined we plummeted just like under JL

I guess you can only go on what you see, and I’ve not been impressed with any of the January signings, although probably Windass has been the least worst

26 years old.

56 games at Championship level. 9 goals and 4 assists mainly as an AM. In a poor Wigan side that’s a decent record.

I thought he was so-so for us. Nowhere near Lee in his prime, but maybe a decent alternative now Kieran has lost a bit. A CM group of Bannan, Lee, Windass and Luongo, with Reach playing CM if we hit an injury spate, seems good to me. I really like Luongo especially.

I think he suits playing as the most advanced of a 3 though, and I prefer us in 442. 

Overall - strong keep 

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

26 years old.

56 games at Championship level. 9 goals and 4 assists mainly as an AM. In a poor Wigan side that’s a decent record.

I thought he was so-so for us. Nowhere near Lee in his prime, but maybe a decent alternative now Kieran has lost a bit. A CM group of Bannan, Lee, Windass and Luongo, with Reach playing CM if we hit an injury spate, seems good to me. I really like Luongo especially.

I think he suits playing as the most advanced of a 3 though, and I prefer us in 442. 

Overall - strong keep 

I think Luongo was what we needed for years, typical hes now injured but had we got someone like him earlier we wouldn’t have relied on Hutchinson so much for tackling ability. He always sticks out now when he plays.

Windass reminds me of Chris Maguire in that he has some good ability but then flaws in other parts of his game. We were able to get more consistent players in when we had a clean slate but now I think we are back to where we were under Grey albeit with better backing. But in short we need someone to get that extra bit from players and Monk has generally done that a most post places he’s been.

Edited by Bluesteel

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

26 years old.

Overall - strong keep 

None of those could tackle their way out of a paper bag They would not be able to impose themselves on most teams in the championship, and quite frankly, since we left Hutchinson out, that’s been our biggest problem

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

None of those could tackle their way out of a paper bag They would not be able to impose themselves on most teams in the championship, and quite frankly, since we left Hutchinson out, that’s been our biggest problem

Luongo completed the most tackles in the league before we signed him and he added something to us. If Hutchinson leaves I’d look at Sam Morsy to do a similar job so we have 2 options. 

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Despite my playing days being in the 70s and 80s I don’t see tackling as a big deal these days. Players block and harry more than tackle now. And when needed Luongo can tackle, and our CBs are tough.

Our best days (results not opinion) had a midfield of FF-Bannan-Lee-Wallace. Couldnt tackle. But what a team it made us. Would it cope with every opposing team - no. Would it win the league - yep.

Edited by Holmowl

11 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Luongo completed the most tackles in the league before we signed him and he added something to us. If Hutchinson leaves I’d look at Sam Morsy to do a similar job so we have 2 options. 

Again, can only go on what I see, and to date, I’ve not seen much evidence of Longo’s tackling ability. 
No doubt he can tackle, in fact he’s a pretty decent all round midfield player, but whether due to injury, I don’t know, but I haven’t seen him yet impose himself on games

Edited by gurujuan

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Despite my playing days being in the 70s and 80s I don’t see tackling as a big deal these days. Players block and harry more than tackle now. And when needed Luongo can tackle, and our CBs are tough.

Our best days (results not opinion) had a midfield of FF-Bannan-Lee-Wallace. Couldnt tackle. But what a team it made us. Would it cope with every opposing team - no. Would it win the league - yep.

I think that under CC the plan was dominate possession and control the tempo of the game and then turn up the heat when suited. We got ourselves out of jail with some great attacking spells.

Lees Loovens and Hutchinson were the trio defensively that the rest of the side relied on. There was no real back up for them and it was neglected for ages ultimately I think it cost us. A team with pace and strength would cut right through us at times.

Now that we still rely on much of that side for the attack we have lost our potency given injuries and age catching up. We won’t have the money to replace that part of the side so I think we are going to need to toughen up and get a bit of sh17housery back in the side 

22 hours ago, DMX said:

Keep. Need to form a core of players the right side of 30 that want to be here. We're not in a position to compete with other clubs in the division for top talent unfortunately.

Why not?

22 hours ago, gurujuan said:

All about opinions I suppose, but playing games for a side that can’t win a championship game is hardly a ringing endorsement None of the January signings have improved us at all, and I wouldn’t touch any of them

We weren't winning games before he came so thats not his fault. Of the 3 january loans he has looked the most likely and at least he drives forward and scores a goal or two.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Again, can only go on what I see, and to date, I’ve not seen much evidence of Longo’s tackling ability. 
No doubt he can tackle, in fact he’s a pretty decent all round midfield player, but whether due to injury, I don’t know, but I haven’t seen him yet impose himself on games

Has made Hutchinson's injury record look trivial in comparison. May well be we have signed another injury prone player. He is not a ball winning centre midfield player in the Hutchison mould from the little I have seen of him , looks more mobile and attacking . One thing that is definite is he needs to get fit and figure much more next season as we may be losing at least 3 midfielders this summer.