To Owlstalk, From The Star’s Wednesday Team…

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I've just spent a while on his Twitter feed, going through the last several hundred items he's pinned there, dating back well over a month. In all of that, we were singled out specifically 4 times. There was considerably more about his book (mentioned a lot), social distancing, podcasts, wage deferrals, staff furloughing, plenty of statistics relating to the Premier League and Championship, the finances of the FA, Newcastle, Burnley, Leeds, West Brom, Blackburn, Reading, Wigan, Charlton and Hibernian, and just as much about those of Manchester United, Hartlepool, Ipswich, Brentford and Arbroath. The death of Michael Robinson got as much attention as we did in that time.

He may be a bit of a tool at times, but I simply do not see this supposed vendetta against us, or indeed anyone else.

Anyway, this thread has been seriously derailed.

OK. I’ll back off. I’m not that bothered about proving myself right or wrong. His name crops up quite regularly in the Local Media and of course on here so I made the assumption that he’s constantly having a go at our club as I’ve never seen him say anything positive about us.

Some of his remarks about us usually come across as sly and cack handed as he seemed to want to make a big deal about I think it was Sunderland choosing to delay submitting their accounts 3 months later alongside us, Derby and one other club that I can’t remember? Even though during the current crisis this process is perfectly above aboard.

I think he’s an attention seeking t!t but I’m sure his opinion of me wouldn’t be any different if he read some of my posts on here? lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Had been looking forward to analysing Sheffield Wednesday’s accounts but sadly they’ve hidden behind the rules introduced by the chancellor extending publishing the accounts for three months so nothing out until end of July...at least.

This is what has resulted in Maguire getting hammered, not the rest of it

Whilst it didn't help him avoid a mauling, Maguire's been getting absolutely hammered on here before that quote was even posted.

Mostly by MKOwl but others too jumped on the bandwagon

That quote just poured petrol on the fire

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

OK. I’ll back off. I’m not that bothered about proving myself right or wrong. His name crops up quite regularly in the Local Media and of course on here so I made the assumption that he’s constantly having a go at our club as I’ve never seen him say anything positive about us.

Yet he has.

Many MANY times.

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'll let Joe answer that but here's what I'm thinking..

1) Greater fan engagement and more of a two way relationship leads to more positive outlook towards them and their articles, leading to more people having confidence in perhaps going back to reading The Star.

2) Being a true Wednesdayite (and Owlstalk member) means Joe will undoubtedbly understand what fans really actually want to learn, know, understand, and experience. Basically it means he's already an expert on our club. (I use the term expert with some caution given the mauling everyone gave Kieran Maguire this week after being called one)

He clearly starts from a better place than poor old Doom and I genuinely wish him well in his new job. It will not be simple or straightforward on either count.

Reading the printed version now seems so outdated and their insistence on subscriptions to read more than the odd on line article has killed my interest.

Glad you used caution about another expert on Owlstalk. It’s clear most of us like to think we are when it comes to our club. Getting the sort of information we all clamour for about decision making at Hillsborough will need a bit more than goodwill I fear.

22 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Some of his remarks about us usually come across as sly and cack handed as he seemed to want to make a big deal about I think it was Sunderland choosing to delay submitting their accounts 3 months later alongside us, Derby and one other club that I can’t remember? Even though during the current crisis this process is perfectly above aboard.

I think he’s an attention seeking t!t but I’m sure his opinion of me wouldn’t be any different if he read some of my posts on here? lol

After that 'Chansiri interferes with goats' (or whatever it was) acrostic was pointed out to me in a long analysis about us that he did, I think we can safely say he's a bit of a knobber. But as much as that kind of thing irritates me, I suppose attention-seeking and trolling goes with the territory of social media today.

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

After that 'Chansiri interferes with goats' (or whatever it was) acrostic was pointed out to me in a long analysis about us that he did, I think we can safely say he's a bit of a knobber.

I've never seen that 

Did he actually say that?

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Serious question. 

How much is a subscription to The Star?

£8.68 per month

*For monthly subscribers, the first 3 payments will be £1 per month, thereafter increasing to recurring payments of £8.68 every month.

**For annual subscribers, the subscription will automatically renew every 12 months with a recurring payment of £78.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad
5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's an absolutely guaranteed way to immediately self sabotage your new job at the Star, get the fans hating you, and ruin your chances of ever being read again.

Our fans can't handle reporting on the finances.

Can I suggest - if you do decide to report on the finances - that you put Dom Howsons name to it

And address

Our fans would have the opposition out of business in minutes

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

£8.68 per month

*For monthly subscribers, the first 3 payments will be £1 per month, thereafter increasing to recurring payments of £8.68 every month.

**For annual subscribers, the subscription will automatically renew every 12 months with a recurring payment of £78.

Ok

£2 a week. 

If there was a decent Owls story in the paper every week, some blast from the past maybe or anything that’s researched and well written - I for one would subscribe, to keep these lads in a job

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Whilst it didn't help him avoid a mauling, Maguire's been getting absolutely hammered on here before that quote was even posted.

Mostly by MKOwl but others too jumped on the bandwagon

That quote just poured petrol on the fire

It's called a difference of opinion why do you vilify posters if the matters not up for debate lock it and then only your opinion counts 

The way I see it, there are 2 big challenges that The Star now face

Firstly, how do you appeal to your audience and what can you offer that’s different? Historically, people would buy the newspaper because it offered inside information and a source of breaking news when information was limited. People relied on it. When the dawn of the internet came, it was one of the first websites that I would visit when browsing for information on Wednesday. 
Now the breaking news is available from many other sources and I very rarely use their site. The introduction of the paywall added another nail in the coffin. And when I do read an article it’s often a re-hash if information we already know usually wrapped up in the opinion of the journalist who wrote the article. I can get all of that on here. 

Fans want something different. There are plenty of places to get gossip, opinion, etc... what USP can the Star offer that’s not available elsewhere? For me they need to build a relationship with the club, his press officers, staff and players, which brings me to the second challenge...

I think (could be wrong) that a problem exists between the club and local media, particularly in the way our club gets reported on. (IMO, Radio Sheffield love a negative story about Wednesday as it’s guaranteed to generate calls to their phone ins )

One example was the fans forum when Chansiri said he would put the club up for sale IF enough fans wanted. He was immediately mis-quoted and local journos ran and ran and ran with the story that the club was up for sale. He didn’t put the club up for sale but the continued spread of misinformation lead to some fans believing that the club was up for sale, some still believe it to this day based on reading the reports. 

English isn’t Chansiri’s first language and he probably struggles to convey what he means. But there should be a duty on journalists to report on facts and misinformation can be damaging to the club. 

I genuinely wish the new guys good luck and hope they can deliver in bringing something fresh and different. 

• Like 1

Problem is, as soon as the reporters start asking questions they don’t want answering, the club will stop giving them stories or information. That’s why you end up with a local media on the end of a dog lead.