Here's what David Prutton thinks of Sheffield Wednesday

David Prutton.jpg

Former Owl David Prutton has had his say on Sheffield Wednesday. Speaking to The Examiner he gave his views..

"Some days they've looked really good and other days they've not.

"Wednesday fans will let you know they're happy or not.

"Garry has said there's things in the squad that he wanted to address.

"They've had some very good players that have been there a very long time. So there probably is an element of needing to freshen up that squad. I think they are somewhere between needing freshening up and major surgery.

"You've got some genuinely talented players but any team has a life cycle.

"Look at the top end of stuff with a team like Tottenham. Everyone was waxing lyrical about what Pochettino had done, but things change.

"Whether Garry will have the luxury to go in and say we need X, Y and Z remains to be seen.

"If you look at what Carlos Carvalhal did, there was some serious cash being thrown around.

"It's a tough one for managers because you can say you want a squad in your own image and these type of players, but then when you do get the chance to recruit that's when the race really begins."

"Garry knows how to win matches at that level," Prutton added. "He's still a manager that wants to prove himself.

"I think chopping and changing doesn't necessarily help.

"I think giving him the right weapons in his arsenal will help, but whether that armoury looks significantly different going off the back of this (coronavirus crisis), it remains to be seen.

"When Carlos came in, did anyone think his first season would end with playing in the play-off final?

"Most people thought 'Who on Earth is he?' with the greatest of respect.

"He burned very brightly for a couple of seasons and then came away.

"Then there was the sliding doors moment with Bruce coming but then going to Newcastle.

"I think there's been an element of 'what if' with probably the last five or six years with Wednesday.

"But I think that with their best XI fit and on the pitch, they're more than a match for anyone in that league."

Owlstalk Shop

Seems a bit contradictory saying our best 11 are a match for anyone when fit but also saying we are somewhere between needing freshening up and major surgery. 

Seems like he would give Monk a chance but then again I wouldn't expect someone who interviews Championship managers for a living to come out and recommend that a Championship manager should get the boot.