Photos - Putting A Roof on The Kop

Hillsborough 2.jpg

Hillsborough 4.jpg

Hillsborough 5.jpg

Hillsborough 1.jpg

Thought I would share a few photos from the renovations that put a roof on the KOP..  Thanks to my friend Ian who took these for me...

I have 9 photos in total - I will post a few now and a few later...

I don't remember how Ian got into the stadium to take these... maybe someone on here knows?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I seem to recall reading that the 'bit extra' you refer to would have nigh on doubled the cost of the project.

Would've more than made up for it with the extra seats we could sell that aren't obstructed view! :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 19.20.05.jpg

I don't remember this shop at all

Was thinking the same but I didn't start going until a few years after the roof went on so must have changed shortly after?

48 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Hillsborough 2.jpg

Hillsborough 4.jpg

Hillsborough 5.jpg

Hillsborough 1.jpg

Thought I would share a few photos from the renovations that put a roof on the KOP..  Thanks to my friend Ian who took these for me...

I don't remember how Ian got into the stadium to take these... maybe someone on here knows?

It was easy. The Kop exit gates were left wide open during the week daytime as construction deliveries were frequently being made. I sat many times in the North stand during that summer watching the different stages of progress.

• Thanks 1

Think the roof cost a million,from memory

The club got the then largest grant from the levy on football pools so only has to raise half the money.

It was estimated another £500,000 for it to have been cantilevered. Think the first home game was Everton.

The capacity had gone from a big 16,800 to a MASSIVE, over 22,000.

The police seemed very nervy about this.

2 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

It was easy. The Kop exit gates were left wide open during the week daytime as construction deliveries were frequently being made. I sat many times in the North stand during that summer watching the different stages of progress.

Same here. Great place to have lunch!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Hillsborough 2.jpg

Hillsborough 4.jpg

Hillsborough 5.jpg

Hillsborough 1.jpg

Before my time but didn’t realise there was a ‘sports hall’ is it where the megastore now stands?