Kodak Instamatic photos of Hillsborough 1971

2 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Everyone has a camera at games now but it was unusual in those days and film was expensive!

Surprisingly though hardly anyone bothers to take photos at matches to create memories.

In years to come we will all want to remember what this ground was like, the concourses, the seats, the walk up to the ground etc

Owlstalk Shop

Great photos. One of the earliest games I can remember (very vaguely) going to. All I can remember is their keeper with the blond hair (Mellor?) and the scoreboard saying 4  0.

4 hours ago, brian joicey said:

silk scarves ,wow that takes me back ! and the leppings lane would  be full of owls (not away fans) too ( it was cheaper on that end)   

Away fans were to the right of the kop in my very earliest days around 1970, if memory serves me correctly (?)

55 minutes ago, WMJ4ever said:

Away fans were to the right of the kop in my very earliest days around 1970, if memory serves me correctly (?)

Away fans stood where they wanted.  No segregation.   But most chose Lepp lower which became an unofficial away end.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I love these. It's interesting to see the section under where the score board is now with fans in it. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

The football special bus drivers used to stand there. My Grandad was one and used to take me with him. He showed his badge to the turnstile operator and I got lifted over the turnstile so it cost nowt to get in. Only downside was having to leave around 20 minutes from the end so the buses were ready at the final whistle.

• Like 1

Guest freerole

Seems funny seeing natural light on someone's head on the kop. 

Excellent photos, thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

North stand looks a bit under populated.

I had to check the game had already started!

14,955 turned up.

9 hours ago, modboy said:

proving a point that attendances at the moment are rather quite good

Looks more there than at recent matches at Hillsborough :ph34r:

I was there at that match, used to stand where the photos were taken from, high up to left side of the scoreboard. Can't remember much about the game apart from some lad kept blocking my view taking photos.

lol

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Away fans stood where they wanted.  No segregation.   But most chose Lepp lower which became an unofficial away end.  

Ah interesting, and thanks for clarifying. I do vaguely remember playing a few sides and seeing their fans grouped to the right of us on the extreme right hand edge of the kop for some reason.. Not many,  but enough to grab some attention.. 

Edited by WMJ4ever

11 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Why was the north stand so sparsely populated back then (even see it in some 90’s videos) compared to today? 

Price ....standing on the terraces was far cheaper  

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Price ....standing on the terraces was far cheaper  

So true, we always stood on the Kop when we were young because we couldn’t afford to go in the Stands. Remember many a game when soaking wet and freezing looking across at the Toffs in the sparsely populated North and South Stands.

18 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

That lad spanner, he looks a bit of a nut job.

No.....

15 hours ago, Nut said:

Great photos. One of the earliest games I can remember 

...but this one is

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

So true, we always stood on the Kop when we were young because we couldn’t afford to go in the Stands. Remember many a game when soaking wet and freezing looking across at the Toffs in the sparsely populated North and South Stands.

I remember a couple of night matches against Sunderland and Carlisle where it snowed and rained heavy. Stewards turned a blind eye as many climbed from the LL triangle into the West Stand.

Felt like sanctuary to be out of the wet and into the warm stand.

Didn't  happen very often though, and there was nowt worse than the first cold wet feeling on your shoulder from a leaking Parka. 

Wish they’d invented waterproof kaggies back then.