Premier League comment on parachute payments.

6 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Care to share the not hard to find evidence?

It’s not hard to work it out - theres several thread  comparing the income of clubs, look at the amount of debt EFL clubs are in chasing the prem payday.

Go find an argument somewhere else you

div

18 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Incredible isn’t it. The PL with no interest what goes on below them.  

French Revolution

"Sir the peasants are revolting"

"why are they revolting"

"they have no bread"

"Let them eat cake"

could be the start of the revolution!

• Like 1

Parachute payments are a nightmare for us right now but we will be a recipient of them soon enough. What they actually do is make the premier league and our league less pony as the sustained investment in the fodder has created a better pipeline of upstarts than any other country's leagues. Without that platform clubs would not be able to bridge the financial gulf between the two leagues.  A salary cap would see the gap in quality between the championship and premier league take off like a rocket and turning off the tap to clubs like us make the chances of a club like us making that  transition from our position to competitive premier league side over time with our resources next  to impossible.

Edited by TrueOwl

21 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Get rid of parachute payments, all players to have mandatory relegation wage drops of let’s say 50% with a release clause to allow them to leave.

An obvious solution you would have thought!

22 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

Why can't the premier league subsidise the relegated players wages rather than just throw a huge wad of cash the clubs way?

Parachute payments are not so much about protecting clubs and players from the immediate fallout of relegation (the stated goal) than they are about protecting investors and providing a platform to drive borrowing in the championship. The goal is not to create an even playing field, the goal is to make money and you can't do that by forcing these clubs to hand over their cheques to the staff.

Edited by TrueOwl

Parachute payments were originally designed to fund the massive wages of relegated players until their contracts expired. The issue is that many relegated clubs sell these players anyway and then use these funds and the parachute payments to attract the best championship players.

For me the solution is to scrap parachute payments but the PL act as a safety net for any clubs who think they can’t afford to carry on paying wages......almost like a 21st club with no playing rights, just acting as a transfer broker.

So If Villa get relegated and realise that they’ve got a player on their books who is on £5 million a week, his contract can be transferred to the PL who then pay his wages until they find another club for him

32 minutes ago, Ian said:

Parachute payments were originally designed to fund the massive wages of relegated players until their contracts expired. The issue is that many relegated clubs sell these players anyway and then use these funds and the parachute payments to attract the best championship players.

For me the solution is to scrap parachute payments but the PL act as a safety net for any clubs who think they can’t afford to carry on paying wages......almost like a 21st club with no playing rights, just acting as a transfer broker.

So If Villa get relegated and realise that they’ve got a player on their books who is on £5 million a week, his contract can be transferred to the PL who then pay his wages until they find another club for him

So the clubs can spend what they want and, the premier league has to pick up the pieces when it goes boobies up?

Football clubs are major businesses. It’s their responsibility to ensure they can continue to trade in the future.

23 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Incredible isn’t it. The PL with no interest what goes on below them.  

TBH, why should they. They have their brand which in normal times generates great wealth for them and it's member's. The PL was not set up for any altruistic purposes it is a commercial business run for the benefit of its share holders ie clubs.

Just scrap ffp.

If the football authorities don't care about clubs spending their 40 million parachute payments on new players, they shouldn't care about rich owners spending their own money on buying players.

As long as the clubs themselves are not getting in debt....I don't see how it harms anyone???

That's the only way to create a level playing field.

Plus sky get to cream themselves over all the monkey getting splashed in the transfer windows. Yay.

3 minutes ago, trev said:

Just scrap ffp.

If the football authorities don't care about clubs spending their 40 million parachute payments on new players, they shouldn't care about rich owners spending their own money on buying players.

As long as the clubs themselves are not getting in debt....I don't see how it harms anyone???

FFP was introduced to stop clubs getting owners spaffing millions and millions of pounds, not getting promoted, and their clubs going bust or the owner walking away and leaving the club with impossible debts.

Owlstalk Shop

I don't have a problem with parachute payments just the way they are used,if they where specifically allocated to buying our contracts the disadvantage would disappear overnight.

it's understandable that being relegated from the Premier League carries it's costs with player wages far to high for championship football.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FFP was introduced to stop clubs getting owners spaffing millions and millions of pounds, not getting promoted, and their clubs going bust or the owner walking away and leaving the club with impossible debts.

I know. But if the owners don't get the club into debt. So for example the cash to pay the bills are ring fenced and secured in advance so an owner can't just pull the plug, there is no risk.

Just think ffp is a good idea in theory but in reality it is unworkable whilst parachute payments exist.

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There’s a really easy way around that and it’s that all clubs should have to submit revenue and cost forecasts, should be quite easy to do as most them are predictable. And I’m pretty sure they already do this for FFP anyway. Then the owners should have to put the forecasted shortfall into an escrow account. That way there’s no risk that the club goes bust as funding is provided up front 

4 minutes ago, trev said:

But if the owners don't get the club into debt. So for example the cash to pay the bills are ring fenced and secured in advance so an owner can't just pull the plug, there is no risk.

Wouldn't that be a form of FFP?

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Wouldn't that be a form of FFP?

No?

I mean the owner has to put forward the money to pay the existing contracts for players. The full amount. Into a holding account.

Any extra money generated by the club etc can replace those funds so the owner gets some money back. But essentially the club and the league know the money to pay the bills is available. 

So no risk of the club going bust or being left with unbeatable debt.

It's hard to explain what I mean but I know what I'm trying to get at lol.

35 minutes ago, trev said:

No?

I mean the owner has to put forward the money to pay the existing contracts for players. The full amount. Into a holding account.

Any extra money generated by the club etc can replace those funds so the owner gets some money back. But essentially the club and the league know the money to pay the bills is available. 

So no risk of the club going bust or being left with unbeatable debt.

It's hard to explain what I mean but I know what I'm trying to get at lol.

That would be a sugar load of money.