Premier League comment on parachute payments.

48 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

PL looking after their own.

Yes, as usual. 

Let them make it a closed shop. Will be a pretty boring league without relegation. The usual 'top 6' can battle it out for places and the rest remain in relative obscurity, providing fixture list cannon fodder. 

IMO the parachute payments should go into a central pot and relegated clubs apply for funds to secure such as non playing staff jobs, with a greater share remaining filtered through the lower leagues. They should not be allowed to generate sporting advantage, which in turn causes financial imbalance for the rest of the league trying to level the playing field, while also trying to comply with impossible FFP limits. 

I dont like the EPL, no great loss for me. I'd rather win a championship trophy with no promotion  or EFL only cup, than just exist in the EPL winning nothing. Seriously, what's the point of Burnley, Watford, Bournmouth etc.... their sole aim is to lose the least games and be the 4th worst team in the league. EPL is a con, Sky generated hype with little substance. Like pulling a girl in a nightclub and getting home to find a wee wee tail tease with hair extensions, fillers, botox and bolt on plastic boobies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

I agree.

When this discussion has come up with friends in the past I tend to mention the escrow idea. I’m surprised something similar has never (to my knowledge) been mentioned or floated. I think I’ve mentioned it on here once.

Football clubs are business but they feel slightly more unique than just another run of the mill business. It’s upsetting, unfortunate and felt by many when any business goes belly up. With football clubs however it seems to have a much wider financial, mental and community impact that.

Simple matter of 'reserves' any prudent company would have provisions for a market downturn....not football as it's.... special, or thinks it is

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

A quote from the Premier League on parachute payments. 

Sounds like Rick Parry will have a job on his hands convincing the powers that be to scrap parachute payments. 

Maintaining the living standards of players who can't cut the mustard by distorting the fairness of competition in the next league down !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoop said:

Morons. How can an extra £40m in the bank not give you an advantage in buying better players and attracting them with bigger wages 

I agree however Parachute Payments were/are designed to lessen the off the field impact and were never designed to be spent on the playing staff. 

If they actually enforced this rule then the playing field would indeed be level however they never have and never will

55 minutes ago, striker said:

Yes, as usual. 

Let them make it a closed shop. Will be a pretty boring league without relegation. The usual 'top 6' can battle it out for places and the rest remain in relative obscurity, providing fixture list cannon fodder. 

IMO the parachute payments should go into a central pot and relegated clubs apply for funds to secure such as non playing staff jobs, with a greater share remaining filtered through the lower leagues. They should not be allowed to generate sporting advantage, which in turn causes financial imbalance for the rest of the league trying to level the playing field, while also trying to comply with impossible FFP limits. 

I dont like the EPL, no great loss for me. I'd rather win a championship trophy with no promotion  or EFL only cup, than just exist in the EPL winning nothing. Seriously, what's the point of Burnley, Watford, Bournmouth etc.... their sole aim is to lose the least games and be the 4th worst team in the league. EPL is a con, Sky generated hype with little substance. Like pulling a girl in a nightclub and getting home to find a wee wee tail tease with hair extensions, fillers, botox and bolt on plastic boobies.

Actually it's only the top 2 who generate any interest from neutral fans...who gives a monkeys who gets 7th place and the Europa League....or comes 16th

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

A quote from the Premier League on parachute payments. 

Sounds like Rick Parry will have a job on his hands convincing the powers that be to scrap parachute payments. 

Presumably they're referring to the performance of teams that go down and get them. Parachute payments didn't stop Sunderland going down to League One or Stoke struggling for example. So existing Championship clubs are competing successfully against teams with parachute payments.

But what they are wilfully ignoring is the fact that in order to compete wage bills are soaring and that parachute payments long term are likely to either cripple finances or cripple competition.

And the EFL are far more qualified to talk about it than the PL is. It's bit like Lawrence Fox pontificating about racism. 

Edited by rickygoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

Bit of a bugger if you sign someone for 50 million get relegated and he walks away for nowt as he would if they cut 50% off his wages 

Relegation release clause is what I meant. 

Set it at 50% wage drop.

Relegation release clause set at 50% of the fee the club paid. 

If the club chooses not to have these clauses, they’re liable to pay the contract with no help in terms or parachute payments and, the same FFP rules to abide by.

When was the last time an £80m player was relegated?

I understand why people rail against the parachute payments and to say that the payments do not give clubs in the championship a competitive advantage is errant nonsense

However...

The payments were introduced in order to allow clubs to compete in the PL - by being able to speculate to sign players who otherwise would not have signed

The problem (as ever!) is the wages paid to players and the huge disparity between the clubs in the PL - and everybody else

It's not that the EFL clubs should get more money - because that just goes in the pockets of players and agents to perpetuate the cycle of misery

The real truth is that player wages in the PL are obscene and largely unsustainable

Unless/until that is addressed then the EFL clubs have little chance of being a top flight competitive club 

We may need to go back to basics and each club can only spend up to the limits of its income

5 hours ago, JC_owl66 said:

I would have thought it’s not that hard to find evidence that parachute payments are part of the problem,

Combined with the huge premier league payday - Plus parachute payments safety net are the reasons that majority of teams are over spending and getting into huge debt,

I would like to See Scrapping of parachute payments, scrap FFP as it exists and introduce salary caps. This should allow investment in team infrastructure, facilities , academies and put the brakes on overcommitment on unsustainable player wages.

Care to share the not hard to find evidence?

Football according to the Pl is a need you have got to have ,Without it how could you exist ,It is all about money ,I wish SKY Would go bust Div  1,2,3,4 like it used to be ,Money was filtered through the divisions ,Anyone see that Panarama  episode Players having wages paid into accounts on the Cayman islands to avoid tax ,Rooney was mentioned ,But you are told giving players a wage cut ,Means less money going to the NHS ,How much money do agents take out of the game ? PL do not care about anyone but themselves ,How many EFL clubs will go to the Wall ,Sad state of affairs .

As has been said I can’t imagine they will ever get rid of it. To be honest if we went up and ended up going down I would be all for us getting the parachute payment. it massively gives team an advantage in the Championship 

Edited by WalthamOwl

17 minutes ago, scram said:

I understand why people rail against the parachute payments and to say that the payments do not give clubs in the championship a competitive advantage is errant nonsense

However...

The payments were introduced in order to allow clubs to compete in the PL - by being able to speculate to sign players who otherwise would not have signed

The problem (as ever!) is the wages paid to players and the huge disparity between the clubs in the PL - and everybody else

It's not that the EFL clubs should get more money - because that just goes in the pockets of players and agents to perpetuate the cycle of misery

The real truth is that player wages in the PL are obscene and largely unsustainable

Unless/until that is addressed then the EFL clubs have little chance of being a top flight competitive club 

We may need to go back to basics and each club can only spend up to the limits of its income

I agree with this totally and the irony is they were brought in after the first few years of The Premier League after teams relegated were bankrupted by their commitments to unsustainable playing staff contracts. Some clubs were liquidated and restarted, others like us struggled to keep afloat. The procedure put in place to protect other clubs from what happened to us, is now a significant disadvantage to our ability to compete for promotion back.

4 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Presumably they're referring to the performance of teams that go down and get them. Parachute payments didn't stop Sunderland going down to League One or Stoke struggling for example. So existing Championship clubs are competing successfully against teams with parachute payments.

But what they are wilfully ignoring is the fact that in order to compete wage bills are soaring and that parachute payments long term are likely to either cripple finances or cripple competition.

And the EFL are far more qualified to talk about it than the PL is. It's bit like Lawrence Fox pontificating about racism. 

This is exactly what they are referring to and Jamie Carragher implied a similar thing this morning, saying that the 3 relegated clubs don't always come straight back up, as if it were that simple.

As you say, some clubs have struggled with relegation, others have gone straight back up but the point is these clubs are able to pay wages far beyond what those without parachute payments at this level can afford. 

The clubs with payments come down with players they bought to play at PL level or they sell these players giving them even more money.

Clubs without payments then have to offer bigger wages than they can afford to other players in order to try and compete. If they don't offer such wages then the clubs with parachute payments can hoover up the best players at this level, akin to what the likes of Chelsea did at the top level for years, buying more than they needed and keeping them in reserve or farming them out to other leagues. 

If parachute payments didn't exist then many owners may still chase the dream more than can be afforded but player salaries at this level would be significantly lower as a result and it is insulting for the Premier League to say they have no impact in this way as they are well aware of this.

Even better solution. Keep parachute payments but, change the EFL rules to state that parachute payment income doesn’t count towards income with regards to FFP accounts.

Puts the onus on the clubs to do the right thing and manage the finances correctly or face potential points deductions.

Edited by 0wl18