Our Lowest Ebb?

On 04/08/2020 at 19:27, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Brilliant. Thank you 😊😊🙂

The Ozzie Owl Club was some place I reckon. The description of Millwall fans trying to take the Kop makes it sound a bit like Keystone Cops. In reality, it was a bit scarier I think. 

I never saw the place empty quicker...there was a fire escape on one side of the club which overlooked the Kop...quite a few times someone would go out and have a look and come back saying Chelsea or Millwall on the Kop. To be fair there wasn't many clubs who tried it

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I never saw the place empty quicker...there was a fire escape on one side of the club which overlooked the Kop...quite a few times someone would go out and have a look and come back saying Chelsea or Millwall on the Kop. To be fair there wasn't many clubs who tried it

Certainly when we dropped to D3 - I think away fans basically stopped coming. D2 saw Aston Villa, Manchester United and one or two others bring big numbers though. 

On 12/08/2020 at 05:27, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Certainly when we dropped to D3 - I think away fans basically stopped coming. D2 saw Aston Villa, Manchester United and one or two others bring big numbers though. 

There were plenty who tried. Specifically remember seeing Grimsby, Boro' and Millwall being forcibly ejected from the Kop. Forest and Sunderland brought large enough numbers to stay on although it was uncomfortable for them. Obviously Villa, Manure & a few seasons earlier Birmingham and Chelsea.

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

There were plenty who tried. Specifically remember seeing Grimsby, Boro' and Millwall being forcibly ejected from the Kop. Forest and Sunderland brought large enough numbers to stay on although it was uncomfortable for them. Obviously Villa, Manure & a few seasons earlier Birmingham and Chelsea.

I've heard plenty of examples from D2, and to knock my own argument back - Millwall would be D3, and I guess Grimsby also. 

So, common enough in D2 and rarely in D3?

Millwall and Grimsby were D3 and also in our first few months there.

In fairness they are the only ones I recall from D3 although we tried it pretty much everywhere we went or at least our hoolie element did.

Edited by Utah Owl

16 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Millwall and Grimsby were D3 and also in our first few months there.

In fairness they are the only ones I recall from D3 although we tried it pretty much everywhere we went or at least our hoolie element did.

Yeah, certainly plenty of examples of Wednesday trying it elsewhere 🙂

Hi all, I was lucky enough recently to be put in contact with Allan Thompson - Owls captain for some of the Lowest Ebb period. My interview with him is available here for a short while:

https://ourlowestebb.blogspot.com/2020/11/aninterview-with-allan-thompson.html?m=1

If anyone still fancies a copy of the book. Until next Sunday it's reduced to £9.99 including P&P from me at:

https://ourlowestebb.bigcartel.com/product/our-lowest-ebb-a-new-history-of-sheffield-wednesday-s-darkest-times-1973-76

Use the code BLACKFRIDAY at checkout.

Cheers, and UTO

John