Our Lowest Ebb?

3 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Somehow I missed this thread previously... I've just bought/ordered one for my dad . I was born in 73 so too young to recall personally but dad's talked about this time previously. Will read it after he's finished !

Great stuff - thank you. Hope you both enjoy it 🙂

The book is now available in Waterstones in Orchard Square, Sheffield and at WH Smith's in Meadowhall. Amazon have also dropped the price by a few pence, and put up a few pages as a preview. Plenty of opportunities to have a look through therefore if anyone likes to try before they buy 🙂

On 07/05/2020 at 05:06, DJMortimer said:

This is all of our league games between the turn of 1975 and the end of that season...

1974-5.png.b81b40efd079decea79ae21ca9f1ba29.png

Now THAT'S how you do 'misery'.

Looks like this season, but with different teams. 

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

I’m sure it’s purely coincidence but a couple of books down there’s one on dealing with suicide. Glad to see I can get it on kindle as I’m NFA, so will give it a go.

Coincidence I think/hope . And yes, available on Kindle now as well, hope you enjoy it if and when you pick it up. It's not a (completely) depressing book, plenty of good humour and nostalgia  in there I think 🙂

, I This one slipped by me, but I've picked it up and started to read the Kindle version.It immediately brought back memories for me.

The '70's were a rather tempestuous time for me. I'd moved late in the '60's into Derbyshire from my home in Hoyland.a promotion to Colliery Undermanager saw me working in 3 different pits, undergoing a complete change of friends, and two strikes, as well as missing my beloved Wednesday, often because of work commitments. Whilst often not being able to be present in person, I was always there in heart.It's the only decade where I could not say 'I was  from High Green, and went to every  game', a situation so unusual for me! And I've heard of but never heard The Arctic Monkeys', but believe me, I suffered.

This season seems so like that era, but take note of many of the names of clubs we played and how they've all been through the wringer - even the top of the list -Manchester UNITED. It happens to the best. Do not give up hope. 

• Thanks 1

TBH there was a time in the 70s when i had to stop going to matches' because the disappointment used to send me on a 'downer' afterwards,& i couldn't shake it off.That with the challenge of United on the other side of the City,always being there to very often highlight(and rip the pi** out of,any short comings que: JOKEs)

Decades of love,& support for our Club,has in truth yielded little return.....YES we had some great times with 'Big Jack''Howard'(my favorite time) BIG Ron....& Finally Trev....(IF ONLY he had signed Cantona...IF...when he allegedly had the chance..might have been so different..) 

The expected 'Premiership return' (Remember that anyone?...season ticket marketed as such'? great marketing,but sadly again flattered to deceive)

I want to see a Wednesday side emerge under Monk now that plays attacking,entertaining football,with the emphasis on (if it comes) AVOIDING any points deduction relegation battle,and nailing down thereafter either of the 2 automatic promotion places.

I do not(Swans anyone?) want to go through the Play off lottery myself EVER again...And i NEVER want to see the likes of the alleged Players behavior,& alleged bad attitude we have had to put with in recent seasons.

A younger,hungrier,squad,with the potential to achieve Wednesdays potential,and do it IN STYLE!! The 'Fans' the true hero's of Hillsborough deserve NOTHING LESS       WAWAW

2 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Coincidence I think/hope . And yes, available on Kindle now as well, hope you enjoy it if and when you pick it up. It's not a (completely) depressing book, plenty of good humour and nostalgia  in there I think 🙂

Cheers pal. Looking forward to reading it. This was when I first started going so I’m sure it will bring back lots of memories. Funny that I never wanted a kindle, always liked to posses the book but it’s been a godsend on my trip and brilliant that I can get local stuff too. UTO

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

, I This one slipped by me, but I've picked it up and started to read the Kindle version.It immediately brought back memories for me.

The '70's were a rather tempestuous time for me. I'd moved late in the '60's into Derbyshire from my home in Hoyland.a promotion to Colliery Undermanager saw me working in 3 different pits, undergoing a complete change of friends, and two strikes, as well as missing my beloved Wednesday, often because of work commitments. Whilst often not being able to be present in person, I was always there in heart.It's the only decade where I could not say 'I was  from High Green, and went to every  game', a situation so unusual for me! And I've heard of but never heard The Arctic Monkeys', but believe me, I suffered.

This season seems so like that era, but take note of many of the names of clubs we played and how they've all been through the wringer - even the top of the list -Manchester UNITED. It happens to the best. Do not give up hope. 

I've been reading recently about Aston Villa's 'lowest Ebb' of the early 70s and Manchester United's. I think one of the things that struck me about the 70s was a feeling that the struggles were temporary and that we would (eventually) be back. One of the ex-players in the book told me that he signed as the stadium 'stank of success' and that such a club couldn't be in the doldrums for long. 

On 30/07/2020 at 15:31, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Hi mate. Just finished reading it, and wanted to let you just how much I enjoyed it. Brought back some great memories. Just wish I had been old enough to see the strippers in the Ozzy owl club. The Millwall game you talked about. I was a young un on the lop that day and the Millwall fans were big horrible b@stards. I was terrified until the Ozzy owl club emptied ! Great memories but scared how much I’ve forgot. Done an amazon review and sent recommendations to all my fellow owls. Cheers

• Love 3

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

Hi mate. Just finished reading it, and wanted to let you just how much I enjoyed it. Brought back some great memories. Just wish I had been old enough to see the strippers in the Ozzy owl club. The Millwall game you talked about. I was a young un on the lop that day and the Millwall fans were big horrible b@stards. I was terrified until the Ozzy owl club emptied ! Great memories but scared how much I’ve forgot. Done an amazon review and sent recommendations to all my fellow owls. Cheers

Brilliant. Thank you 😊😊🙂

The Ozzie Owl Club was some place I reckon. The description of Millwall fans trying to take the Kop makes it sound a bit like Keystone Cops. In reality, it was a bit scarier I think. 

On 29/07/2020 at 23:52, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The book is now available in Waterstones in Orchard Square, Sheffield and at WH Smith's in Meadowhall. Amazon have also dropped the price by a few pence, and put up a few pages as a preview. Plenty of opportunities to have a look through therefore if anyone likes to try before they buy 🙂

Ordered it today mate and will be delivered tomorrow.Looking forward to reading it as,like others,I'm old enough to have been through those years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

https://www.medocmall.co.uk/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=theclubshop_sheffieldwednesday&state=item&sub_dept_id=55&product_id=VER2001&dept_id=62

The book's now available in the SWFC Megastore, and online from the website. So, if anyone's got a few points burning a hole in their pocket, I know just the thing to spend them on 🙂

1A44650F-886C-45DE-97B1-32801EE57CF7.gif

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop