Rick Parry has something sensible to say for once

From the BBC.

Parry also said they could not just rely on going from "one bailout to another bailout", suggesting a "complete reset" was now needed in terms of the redistribution of revenue within the game.

"Parachute payments are an evil that needs to be eradicated," he said.

"We have six clubs in the Championship receiving parachute payments giving them an average of £40m per club. The other 18 clubs get £4.5m each, so they're then struggling to keep up.

He added: "We need to know where we're heading in two and three years. We need hope, we need a plan and we need some clarity on the longer-term future."

I would welcome this, clubs being able to spend a % of income could be a way forward. It wouldn’t stop clubs trying to pay for their own exec boxes and sponsoring stands/themselves but it would prevent the scale of losses seen and reduce budgets. Clubs would then need their own wage structure. The likes of Leeds would benefit from this as would Derby and ourselves. You would have a bigger advantage from producing and selling players too as you would be able to pay more without having a gun to your head for wages. Smaller clubs would have to pay lower wages but I guess they do anyway. 

Parachute money is needed if big wages are still owed from premier league football. But I think clubs should be made to cut costs by an agreed amount to get in line with the league they are in and the money should just be paid to make sure they remain solvent as they get their house in order.

Edited by Bluesteel

For the first time every!!!!!  A member of the governing body raises the problem that has caused championship clubs to risk their existence for the riches of the premier league.

After 10 years have they finally got it - Parachute payments need to go - hopefully before Sheffield United get relegated next season after their one season wonder. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all know about the problems caused by parachute payments.

What we need are workable solutions.

Until such time as the EFL come up with some I would advise reserving judgement about using Rick Parry and sense in the same sentence.

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

We all know about the problems caused by parachute payments.

What we need are workable solutions.

Until such time as the EFL come up with some I would advise reserving judgement about using Rick Parry and sense in the same sentence.

Absolutely but as the OP says it is at least a surprising positive development to hear that the EFL big wigs are speaking out against the effect of parachute payments.

Good that he's acknowledged parachute payments are a problem. 

However, in allowing these for so long, the EFL have been complicit in creating an environment where clubs have to overspend, just to compete, then implemented FFP to stifle and punish most of the league from being competitive.