Joey Pelupessy “To have had (contract) talks by now was the plan but it’s been a bit quiet since this crisis"

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Joey Pelupessy.jpeg

Joey Pelupessy has spoken to the Yorkshire Post about the current state of play at Wednesday and his own future..

Pelupessy said: “To have had (contract) talks by now was the plan but it’s been a bit quiet since this crisis.

"We had (initial) conversations but not much (was said at that stage) and before they could really get going, it (the pandemic) had started. They’ve stopped now because no one knows what’s going to happen.

"When we get back to training I think the conversations will start again. Maybe it’s too soon now.

"But I hope we can agree something because if the contract is finished and the season is back on, you cannot play.

"I would really like to stay because Sheffield Wednesday are a massive club. I could smell from the first day they really wanted promotion.

"We have a nice team, nice players and the manager (Garry Monk) is a nice guy. If I can stay I would be really happy about that. England is a beautiful country to play in. For a lot of players from outside it’s a dream to play in England.”

“I hope we’re going to finish the season and I want to finish it personally,” he told the Yorkshire Post. “I would be happy to extend my contract for four or six weeks or whatever so this can happen.

"For me it doesn’t matter how long it takes, but to be honest, the longer this goes on, the more doubt there is about whether we’re going to finish the season. We all hope we will but we just don’t know what’s going to happen.

“In Holland they’ve stopped the league already and the longer it takes in England (to reach a decision), the chances will be less because you’ve got other competitions to consider. From a football perspective the best thing is to finish it but if it’s not possible for health reasons, you cannot."

That's the problem, we are TOO nice for our own good.

Just once I would like to see the team turn nasty when we have to.

If the season restarts,I’d be more than happy and I think it would be correct for the club to extend his contract for that time period. After that? Well he wouldn’t be my first choice for a new deal, if we have any serious ambitions of promotion any time soon.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Joey Pelupessy.jpeg

Joey Pelupessy has spoken to the Yorkshire Post about the current state of play at Wednesday and his own future..

Pelupessy said: “To have had (contract) talks by now was the plan but it’s been a bit quiet since this crisis.

"We had (initial) conversations but not much (was said at that stage) and before they could really get going, it (the pandemic) had started. They’ve stopped now because no one knows what’s going to happen.

"When we get back to training I think the conversations will start again. Maybe it’s too soon now.

"But I hope we can agree something because if the contract is finished and the season is back on, you cannot play.

"I would really like to stay because Sheffield Wednesday are a massive club. I could smell from the first day they really wanted promotion.

"We have a nice team, nice players and the manager (Garry Monk) is a nice guy. If I can stay I would be really happy about that. England is a beautiful country to play in. For a lot of players from outside it’s a dream to play in England.”

“I hope we’re going to finish the season and I want to finish it personally,” he told the Yorkshire Post. “I would be happy to extend my contract for four or six weeks or whatever so this can happen.

"For me it doesn’t matter how long it takes, but to be honest, the longer this goes on, the more doubt there is about whether we’re going to finish the season. We all hope we will but we just don’t know what’s going to happen.

“In Holland they’ve stopped the league already and the longer it takes in England (to reach a decision), the chances will be less because you’ve got other competitions to consider. From a football perspective the best thing is to finish it but if it’s not possible for health reasons, you cannot."

Shocking reporting, terrible article, shame you haven't named the journalist as I want to slag him (or her) off! lol

Just kidding.

Understandable I suppose that talks have stopped but it is something that the authorities will have to take into consideration soon. If they are hell bent on finishing this season come what may decisions have to be made on players who will be out of contract on July 1st and how can a player commit to a contract or a team commit to paying a specific amount for next season when they don't know when the season will start or if paying fans will be allowed.

Joey comes across as a really likable person and seems to enjoy being part of the club, his effort has never been in doubt, which is more than can be said for some others, but the reality is he is not good enough to be involved regularly in a team looking to be anywhere above a relegation scrap at this level.

4 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

If Pelupessy signs I would be happy as it means he is valued by the club and I trust there judgement. If he doesn't sign I will also be happy as he has been deemed not good enough. so he must be let go.

As for Reach I agree that we cant let his contract run down and get nothing for him but he is a vital player for us so I would be reluctant to let him go unless offer was to good to refuse.

Have you considered they might be wide of the mark in their judgement if this is the case?

4 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

If Pelupessy signs I would be happy as it means he is valued by the club and I trust there judgement. If he doesn't sign I will also be happy as he has been deemed not good enough. so he must be let go.

Do you still trust the judgement of the club after its record of recruitment over the last 3-4 years?

• Thanks 1

Will say a lot as to our ambition whether or not he stays/goes.

Interesting that they have had discussions.

Can't help thinking it's another prime example of a club which is too sentimental with players.

he mentions its gone a bit quiet on contract talks , what club would seriously be negotiating  a contract with any player? when its unlikely there will be any football league games for 15 months plus? and what the football league will look like then is anybody guess. behind closed doors football to me is totally meaningless , you could probably watch golf or snooker and motor racing without anybody there but football no chance . 

40 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Have you considered they might be wide of the mark in their judgement if this is the case?

38 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Do you still trust the judgement of the club after its record of recruitment over the last 3-4 years?

I will only be worried if he is named club captain and guaranteed a starting spot.

Even if Pelupessy does go we will sign a player that everyone on here thinks is worse.

So as a cheap back up option in theses times football is now in. I would be ok with him getting a contract.

Edited by pazowl55

10 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I will only be worried if he is named club captain and guaranteed a starting spot.

Even if Pelupessy does go we will sign a player that everyone on here thinks is worse.

So as a cheap back up option in theses times football is now in. I would be ok with him getting a contract.

can’t imagine many players could possibly be worse than a player that offers nothing positive to the team. I’m sure he’s a nice bloke but on the pitch he is a passenger. 

• Like 1

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

can’t imagine many players could possibly be worse than a player that offers nothing positive to the team. I’m sure he’s a nice bloke but on the pitch he is a passenger. 

If we are seeing that then so would the people at the club and he would be let go. Especially now when the club wont have any money coming in.

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If we are seeing that then so would the people at the club and he would be let go. Especially now when the club wont have any money coming in.

Sometimes the club do get transfers wrong you know - they signed him in the first place! Or do you agree with every contract decision the club makes?

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sometimes the club do get transfers wrong you know - they signed him in the first place! Or do you agree with every contract decision the club makes?

Course not. but he was signed on the cheap as a cheap squad player. It's the multi million pound players that we sign on 30k a week that turn into Pelupessy we got to worry about. 

Us retaining Pelupessy is the least of our transfer worries.

we cant buy players , we more than likely cant pay top end championship wages ,we have little or no income coming in for the foreseeable , our sellable players are thin on the ground , we need to cut our wage bill …..I think joey is on the wrong side of average but maybe that's the standard  we are able to sign .as squad fillers go he'll probably be cheap so I wouldn't be surprised if they make him an offer . 

One of the young lads in the U23 should take his place if people are worried about us having to pay out for a player to replace him. When Hunt came on before the season was halted he offered more in that cameo than I have ever seen Pessy offer. You just know though the club will offer him a new contract. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

Didn’t he played quite a big part in 2 or 3 of the goals against Brentford? Some brass neck to come out in the press talking about a new contract! 

Can’t fault his effort, but you could pull someone out of the stands if all you need to succeed is commitment alone. He’s out of his depth unfortunately and offers us nothing. 

• Like 1