On this day in 2012

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't forget Wednesday fans filled all four sides of the stadium too and sold out the West Stand upper and Lower, meaning the Wycombe fans were shoved into the triangle between North and West stands..

This is one of the first thing that springs to

mind when thinking of that day. When Antonio scored, after a few seconds of going mental I remember going silent for a few seconds taking in 4 sides of the ground erupting realising I had never seen that before. That summer, I watched the replay of that goal over and over when the commentator said “just listen!” 

The celebration after the Ranger goal was different, it was like a celebration and a sigh of relief at the same time.

Fantastic day, I went to Benidorm following day and proudly walking along Levante beach in my Wednesday shirt walking towards me is 2 kids wearing United shirts. 

They seemed a little embarrassed.:tango:

• Like 1

I was on holiday in Spain (a week off in between redundancy from my old job and starting a new one). It was pi55ing down so Mrs Bonvin and I stayed in the hotel where they had Soccer Saturday on.

There was also a big stag party from Ireland in there too and by the end of the game we were all singing Wednesday songs. And all absolutely hammered. They were a brilliant bunch and needless to say it was a great day although not as good as being at the game but never mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield+Wednesday+v+Wycombe+Wanderers+Npower+_XREANm5AD6x.jpg

On this day in 2012 - Sheffield Wednesday secured promotion at Hillsborough against Wycombe Wanderers

Crowd was over over 38,000 and (of course) was a top top day!

Let's see what pictures, videos and memories we can share of this brilliant afternoon back in 2012

(Not) interesting fact from the day.....the attendance was 2 below what it was as we and some others had duplicate tickets, and I almost choked on someone's fart....but that's football for you lol

On 05/05/2020 at 23:00, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 11.59.58.jpg

I've still to this day got no idea why this fella held this up to me on that day..

Wonder what it was/meant?

Mystery solved....His son (me), a lifelong Wednesday fan, had recently moved to New Zealand, so he took him along as a cardboard cutout so he was there in spirit😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Loved the shhhhh’s from the crowd, the scoreboard showing the “T” and then the United score coming through showing them losing and then the roar from us fans. 

It gives me goosebumps thinking about that when we finally knew it was going to happen. 

That will always stick with me, but the day was just brilliant.

You couldn’t have written a better season. 

28 minutes ago, NZOwl2011 said:

Mystery solved....His son (me), a lifelong Wednesday fan, had recently moved to New Zealand, so he took him along as a cardboard cutout so he was there in spirit😂

That's amazing!

Thank you for letting us know and welcome to the site!

Owlstalk Shop

lol

'RE: Sheffield Wednesday V Wycombe Wanderers

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a Blade, a Sheffield United fan. This season has been one of the most enjoyable I have so far in the 27 years of supporting The Blades home and away. Last weekend also spoilt it quite a bit for me as we didn’t quite get the result we wanted and so The Owls nicked 2nd spot with one game remaining meaning we need to beat Exeter City on Saturday and hope your football club pull off an amazing feat and spoil their ALREADY PLANNED promotion party.

I understand, despite your relegation, you are a good team on your day as you showed us when we came down to your ground earlier on in the season and beat us fair and square. I am just praying you can overcome the understandable sadness and being relegated and really rallyyourselves to beat the overly arrogant Owls on their own patch.

Their fans already believe they’re up, they’ve already beaten you apparently and that your ‘Tin-Pot’ club has not even a chance on Saturday.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU THIS WYCOMBE WANDERERS F.C – YOU DO HAVE A CHANCE, PLENTY OF CLUBS INCLUDING EXETER HAVE BEATEN THEM THIS SEASON AND THERE IS NO REASON YOU CANNOT DO THE SAME.

PLEASE, play with your heads held high, chests out bursting with pride as you are a professional club and good one at that. You will all be in Blades’ hearts forever should you win at Hillsborough and how nice would it be to silence 35,000 arrogant fans in the stands who just see you as a given.

I will be praying you win and pull this off.

Yours in hope.

JUST SENT THIS TO THEIR CHAIRMAN! '

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

lol

'RE: Sheffield Wednesday V Wycombe Wanderers

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a Blade, a Sheffield United fan. This season has been one of the most enjoyable I have so far in the 27 years of supporting The Blades home and away. Last weekend also spoilt it quite a bit for me as we didn’t quite get the result we wanted and so The Owls nicked 2nd spot with one game remaining meaning we need to beat Exeter City on Saturday and hope your football club pull off an amazing feat and spoil their ALREADY PLANNED promotion party.

I understand, despite your relegation, you are a good team on your day as you showed us when we came down to your ground earlier on in the season and beat us fair and square. I am just praying you can overcome the understandable sadness and being relegated and really rallyyourselves to beat the overly arrogant Owls on their own patch.

Their fans already believe they’re up, they’ve already beaten you apparently and that your ‘Tin-Pot’ club has not even a chance on Saturday.

WELL LET ME TELL YOU THIS WYCOMBE WANDERERS F.C – YOU DO HAVE A CHANCE, PLENTY OF CLUBS INCLUDING EXETER HAVE BEATEN THEM THIS SEASON AND THERE IS NO REASON YOU CANNOT DO THE SAME.

PLEASE, play with your heads held high, chests out bursting with pride as you are a professional club and good one at that. You will all be in Blades’ hearts forever should you win at Hillsborough and how nice would it be to silence 35,000 arrogant fans in the stands who just see you as a given.

I will be praying you win and pull this off.

Yours in hope.

JUST SENT THIS TO THEIR CHAIRMAN! '

I remember this well, it was even funnier considering they themselves had planned not 1 but 2 Promotion Parties against both MK and Stevenage.

Only for their plans to be scuppered by not just our magnificent victories but also their own ineptitude/ability to gain the 5 points required to gain Promotion from  their final 3 games.

As always they gob off early only for it to rebound on them and then claim we are arrogant.

Anyone recall the anticipated "Boxing Day Massacre" the "Derby that doesn't matter" the "Mind the Gap" all instigated by that lot but they then claim it's us who are arrogant when we turn their boasts against them.

As an aside what a Fantastic day this was!!

On 05/05/2020 at 21:00, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 11.59.58.jpg

I've still to this day got no idea why this fella held this up to me on that day..

Wonder what it was/meant?

Great story - hope you enjoying NZ

Edited by Rogers