Dominic Iorfa 'I don't think the EFL charge has affected us as players"

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 00.16.54.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's Dominic Iorfa talks about the EFL charge, the most recent performances and the future of this season

On the impact of the EFL charge, Iorfa said: "I don't think it has affected us as players.

"It is not something that we have really thought about as a group. We don't really deal with that side of things.

"We focus on ourselves on the pitch. It is for the people above us to handle that.

"It has obviously been there over the course of the season. There has been that uncertainty but that is nothing to do with us. We have to focus on what happens on the pitch. Whatever happens.

So what about recent form?

"It has been a case of our performances have not been good enough."

"We had a good first half to the season and since then we have gone backwards," said Iorfa. "I don't really know why to be fair.

"Perhaps it is a confidence issue but I don't really know.

"It has been a bizarre run of results"

"I think we were a lot more solid in the first half of the season. We know that if we are not conceding goals that we will always create chances at the other end.

"It has been easy to score against us of late. For me personally, I know that I have made a few mistakes.

"If the season does continue, hopefully we can get back to being solid and hard to play against and turn things around."

"I think, in a way, the suspension did come at a good time for us with the run that we were on," he said. "Our form wasn't great and we know we can play a lot better.

"This break has given us a lot of time to reflect on certain things. I know I have personally.

"Hopefully we will finish the season when it is safe to do so. We want to finish the season on a high."

On potentially playing the remaining games behind closed doors with no fans present Iorfa said 

"It will be a bit weird but it will be something that we will all have to get used to."

Owlstalk Shop

Why they bother with these interviews I’ll never know 

“Explain the recent performances Dom”

”erm they haven’t been good enough”

“Why haven’t they been good enough”

”Erm I don’t know, we don’t know”

Superb insight 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Why they bother with these interviews I’ll never know 

“Explain the recent performances Dom”

”erm they haven’t been good enough”

“Why haven’t they been good enough”

”Erm I don’t know, we don’t know”

Superb insight 

You missed out this bit "Perhaps it is a confidence issue"

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You missed out this bit "Perhaps it is a confidence issue"

They just throw out the usual rubbish “Confidence” “we know what we’re capable of” blah blah 

Listening to Megsons interview that SWFC just posted, and Martin Hodges from the 86/87 video, players used to be so much more open, it’s like they’re chatting to a mate. Now they’re just robots 

Edited by FreshOwl

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

They just throw out the usual rubbish “Confidence” “we know what we’re capable of” blah blah 

Listening to Megsons interview that SWFC just posted, and Martin Hodges from the 86/87 video, players used to be so much more open, it’s like they’re chatting to a mate. Now they’re just robots 

Maybe interviews aren't for you then mate

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Guest wilyfox

I agree with the headline. I doubt the EFL thing caused our collapse. More likely to be a rift or divide in the dressing room, be it players locking horns with Monk or each other. Or could be contractual, for those possibly told or realising their futures lie elsewhere. 

There’s a huge correlation with Luongo being injured and both Hutchinson and Westwood left out. Those three are part of the spine of the team. At least from a defensive point of view. Our midfield is attack minded and the defence is calmer with the experienced keeper.

Edited by Bluesteel

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Maybe not, maybe we have just been a sh1tting disgrace since Christmas because they players can’t be bothered. 

Looks that way to me....a lot of them knew they where off and couldn't be aršed

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Maybe not, maybe we have just been a sh1tting disgrace since Christmas because they players can’t be bothered. 

I never ever think players suddenly can't be bothered

There has to be way more to it than that

Owlstalk Shop

I think the players started believing they were better than they are.

Stopped putting in the same effort and just expecting the results to happen.

The fact of the matter is we were lucky to be 3rd at Xmas. We rarely outplayed anyone. Our performances were not convincing.

The luck bubble burst, realisation hit, but the players just downed tools instead of digging in deeper.

Btw I think Iorfa is one of the few players to come out of this season well. Had his moments but generally been impressed with him.