Monks contract

6 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Given the respective resources they had to work with, it seems to me that Laws and Gray both did a better job than Carvalhal, especially when you consider the latter's legacy.

As far as I am aware our wage bill was around mid-table in Carlos first season and 8th or 9th in his second so we performed around 5 places above our resource in that respect.

It was similar for Gray in 2014-15 as our budget was said to be around 18th or 19th and we finished 13th.

Nothing to suggest Gray would have been able to perform as well with greater resources - the pressure of being in charge with more expectation and managing bigger egos. 

Little to indicate he wouldn't have been capable either but if he is such a good prospect to be a successful manager at this level you would have thought he would have been offered and taken an opportunity in the 5 years since he left us if he wanted to be a number 1.

As for Carlos, legacy, it is difficult to see how he can be blamed for us not selling players and keeping high earners on big wages when the consensus is our managers don't have a significant say in this. 

Guest The Horse

I do feel bad for Monk somewhat as he's come into a really awful situation.

All the legal stuff going on behind the scenes, no real money for decent players and a disjointed playing squad.

He's got a team that can't play the flowing football of the Carlos era due to most of the quality players having left.

Hooper, Pudil, Wallace, Joao, Lopez, Hector, Sasso, Loovens, Lee (not the same since injury) and I'll even place Hunt in there, who have all gone and been replaced with inferior ability or not at all.

That leaves Bannan, Fletcher and FF frustrated at team mates not on the same technical level as them where before they played almost telepathically at times.

So Monk can't play the nice stuff anymore as we don't have the ability but we're not physical enough to play the direct game either.

So we get dicked either way.

As we were seeing.

Yes, we got to third at Xmas but the performances were not convincing and it always felt like we were skating on thin ice.

It just took a little while for the rest of the league to cotton on that we were now weak and no longer the threat we once were.

From then on it was like firing torpedoes at a stranded ship.

Having said that, I think Monk has the backing of most of the team.

The reactions from players and staff at Leeds and the last minute winner against Charlton says to me that the spirit is there in spades.

We just don't have the players to play any particular style effectively at this level and win games consistently.

I've cursed him to hell after some of the games this season but with a calm head on, Monk gets another season from me with his own players.

1 hour ago, The Horse said:

I do feel bad for Monk somewhat as he's come into a really awful situation.

All the legal stuff going on behind the scenes, no real money for decent players and a disjointed playing squad.

He's got a team that can't play the flowing football of the Carlos era due to most of the quality players having left.

Hooper, Pudil, Wallace, Joao, Lopez, Hector, Sasso, Loovens, Lee (not the same since injury) and I'll even place Hunt in there, who have all gone and been replaced with inferior ability or not at all.

That leaves Bannan, Fletcher and FF frustrated at team mates not on the same technical level as them where before they played almost telepathically at times.

So Monk can't play the nice stuff anymore as we don't have the ability but we're not physical enough to play the direct game either.

So we get dicked either way.

As we were seeing.

Yes, we got to third at Xmas but the performances were not convincing and it always felt like we were skating on thin ice.

It just took a little while for the rest of the league to cotton on that we were now weak and no longer the threat we once were.

From then on it was like firing torpedoes at a stranded ship.

Having said that, I think Monk has the backing of most of the team.

The reactions from players and staff at Leeds and the last minute winner against Charlton says to me that the spirit is there in spades.

We just don't have the players to play any particular style effectively at this level and win games consistently.

I've cursed him to hell after some of the games this season but with a calm head on, Monk gets another season from me with his own players.

Very fair appraisal. There’s a lot in this post that I do agree with however I don’t agree with Monk getting more time. I think he’s done here not too dissimilarly to how Lukuhay was.

The only thing that has saved Monk’s job has been the current suspension of the game. One or two more defeats in succession, Monk would more than likely have unraveled like Jos did due to the pressure and the fans’ ire would’ve been horrendous and then he would more than likely have been sacked or left by his own accord?

I just don’t see a way back for him here and also I only think it’s a matter of time before DC leaves as I just don’t think regardless of his recent interview, his heart is in it anymore and all the off field stuff as well as the on, has left him tired and weary and maybe privately desperate to sell? If Ashley or anyone comes in with a bid soon, I think it’s adios DC?

14 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Very fair appraisal. There’s a lot in this post that I do agree with however I don’t agree with Monk getting more time. I think he’s done here not too dissimilarly to how Lukuhay was.

The only thing that has saved Monk’s job has been the current suspension of the game. One or two more defeats in succession, Monk would more than likely have unraveled like Jos did due to the pressure and the fans’ ire would’ve been horrendous and then he would more than likely have been sacked or left by his own accord?

I just don’t see a way back for him here and also I only think it’s a matter of time before DC leaves as I just don’t think regardless of his recent interview, his heart is in it anymore and all the off field stuff as well as the on, has left him tired and weary and maybe privately desperate to sell? If Ashley or anyone comes in with a bid soon, I think it’s adios DC?

DC wont sell,his old fellas worth a mint and hes one of the heirs to an absolute fortune.

Monk was never the right man he was just available at the time and obviously filled in the online form and slushed it in interview,bet his agents gutted,he normally sends Monk the players!