Monks contract

I've never really understood the fuss about win percentage. According to that, Alan Irvine was better than Steve Bruce and Ron Atkinson (in total) and only slightly worse than Trevor Francis, which is just arse water.

As much as statistics can paint a full picture in and of themselves (and they can't), points per game is surely a better indicator? The league tables, and thereby success, are not measured by how many wins you have are they? Winning a third of your games isn't much use in the standings if you lose most of the other two thirds.

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I've never really understood the fuss about win percentage. According to that, Alan Irvine was better than Steve Bruce and Ron Atkinson (in total) and only slightly worse than Trevor Francis, which is just arse water.

As much as statistics can paint a full picture in and of themselves (and they can't), points per game is surely a better indicator? The league tables, and thereby success, are not measured by how many wins you have are they? Winning a third of your games isn't much use in the standings if you lose most of the other two thirds.

True you could go unbeaten all season and still have a worse win percentage than a team that finishes bottom.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

https://sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/short-term-rolling-contract-decision-made-by-chansiri-garry-monks-sheff-wed-future-explained/

According to the Athletic  he's only on a rolling contract which is due to expire in the summer. Source - Vital Wednesday/Athletic

If that's ture It's like it's all coming to ahead this summer, I wonder if Chansiri gave him a contract to match the out of contract players so if it doesn't work for him then a complete fresh start with a new manager and players. 

If its true, its will go two ways, blown up in his face having to appoint a new manger and get players signed in time for whenever it kicks off again, we ain't the quickest at signing players. 

Or its a complete master stroke. New manager, new players, new optimism. (Carlos year one) 

Good. We can get rid without having to pay him off! Lucky escape.

8 hours ago, Thurcroft owl 72 said:

What we as a club/fans need is a manager who exudes confidence and doesn't treat going to brentford as playing barca. We as a club need to start expecting not hoping to win. Megson had it right if not the football.

That's a good point, we often talk about players coping with playing for a massive club, managers need to have similar attributes. 

I think that fans took to Bruce (before he left) because he was so confident and knew what he was doing.

9 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol. The last 6 months was August 2011 to February 2012... so form was whatever got us to third in the league. Think changing managers at the time came down to a personality clash with Manderic rather than the results although the last few games before the derby were poor. Turned out to be a master stroke as I doubt we’d have got 2nd

I suppose going into the dressing room after a match and verbally abusing the chairman in front of all the staff counts as personality clash  🤣🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 00.08.04.jpg

How has Monk done so far stats wise?

He's only managed us in 35 matches I think

1.29 points per game on average, although the above stats from Wikipedia says he's managed us 31 games?

The columns are played, won, lost, drawn and then win%

So Stuart Gray managed roughly the same results as Steve Bruce but with smallest budget in the division ?

Awful performances admittedly but shows a good coach and a committed team can achieve in this league.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Depends how DC views this season. He has backed his players and managers to the hilt in the past, but even he must acknowledge our mid-season collapse is unacceptable. Does he see it as a good squad poorly managed, or a good manager with a basket of rotten apples?

I think the new financial landscape will sway him towards defending Monk anyway, seeking younger cheaper solutions. We'll soon see whether Fletcher's bumper contract is extended or not. 

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Depends how DC views this season. He has backed his players and managers to the hilt in the past, but even he must acknowledge our mid-season collapse is unacceptable. Does he see it as a good squad poorly managed, or a good manager with a basket of rotten apples?

I think the new financial landscape will sway him towards defending Monk anyway, seeking younger cheaper solutions. We'll soon see whether Fletcher's bumper contract is extended or not. 

I don’t want to see Monk in charge for another match but I fear you’re right and it’s going to be disastrous

Edited by beswetherick

As bad a record as the hopeless Jos Luhukay and a team in free fall. 

Is the answer to back him with a full clear out or bring someone in who the players respect and will play for through bad runs and good?

Either choice will require some squad rebuilding as the squad is ageing now and he gone stale. If the choice was mine I would sack Monk as the team chemistry is poor, the game management is appalling and the general football is turgid. 

Perhaps the pandemic has saved Monk’s job but I hope Mr Chansiri is keeping all options open. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FARGATEOWL said:

So Stuart Gray managed roughly the same results as Steve Bruce but with smallest budget in the division ?

Awful performances admittedly but shows a good coach and a committed team can achieve in this league.

Going off on a tangent somewhat, but what we did with Stuart Gray, we should have done many years before when Trevor Francis was sacked.

Ritchie Barker was the brains behind setting up the side, the nouse - arguably i'd have had him as manager in front of Francis, but Francis was a big name.

Atkinson had charisma, Francis had pulling power - Barker was the brains - same as Stuart Gray.    

If only we'd not have gone with Carlos and kept Gray for a year, you have to wonder what would have happened  - but similarly not respecting Ritchie Barker back in the 90's as anything more than an assistant was a mistake too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

So carlos basically the best manager we have had then in the last 20 years then.

lol

I am not included Megson's % as that was done in the Micky mouse league.

Two Top 6 finishes in the championship, comfortably has him as our most successful manager in the last 20 years.

19 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Given the respective resources they had to work with, it seems to me that Laws and Gray both did a better job than Carvalhal, especially when you consider the latter's legacy.

Suppose the counter argument could be that they didnt have the to big for there boots players and if we believe what we read the interference from above and people buying players for them.

Edited by pazowl55

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Suppose the counter argument could be that they didnt have the to big for there boots players and if we believe what we read the interference from above and people buying players for them.

Makes the job Carlos did sound even better. I still think he’ll end up back here at some stage should Chansiri stay as owner? That said I think it’s only a matter of time before Ashley or someone else makes a bid for us?