SHEFFIELD - City Centre Redevelopment Thread

On 08/03/2021 at 17:54, modboy said:

Should knock down Debenhams and make it into an outdoor space to hold events such as millennium square in Leeds with live in Leeds etc

Think the plan is for Fargate to become that as far as I know

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

11 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Two Thursdays in a row now I have drove from Penistone Road over the universitys on the ring road and the matrix signs on Hanover Way giving STAY HOME orders.

No wonder nobody goes.

lol

Yeah I've noticed that - all the signs just saying STAY HOME

lol

Owlstalk Shop

On 13/04/2021 at 08:48, @owlstalk said:

Here's a great overview

Absolutely love this mate - as someone born and bred in Sheffield who moved away 20 years ago it’s so good to see what’s happening now.

So many great memories stirred for me as well. 
thanks for doing this mate, it’s massively appreciated 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Owl247 said:

Absolutely love this mate - as someone born and bred in Sheffield who moved away 20 years ago it’s so good to see what’s happening now.

So many great memories stirred for me as well. 
thanks for doing this mate, it’s massively appreciated 

Thank you! 
really appreciate that

usually I just get comments that Sheffield City council have ruined the city blah blah blah 🤣🤣

Owlstalk Shop

On one of the Facebook pages the other day there was a picture taken from the bottom of The Moor in the 60's followed by all the 'oh the council have ruined Sheffield' 'great days' etc.

It looked horrific and I commented that it looked as if it had been taken the day after the end of WWII

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Thank you! 
really appreciate that

usually I just get comments that Sheffield City council have ruined the city blah blah blah 🤣🤣

No worries 

mate you should see what Suffolk County Council are like where I’m living now, I’ll never criticise SCC again 🤣

5 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Just what a struggling, medium sized city needs after a global pandemic and deep into the digital age.

More offices.

this was my 1st thought, a lot of the people who I know that used to work in offices are now working from home, I do wonder if going forward we are going to end up with a city center full of empty office buildings.

PS I don't know what the alternative is.

Sheffield has always needed more Grade A office space. This is what that will contribute to. 

People will not work from home all the time. Companies will still to attract workers with good offices and facilities.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2021 at 09:36, Arthur Bach said:

Just what a struggling, medium sized city needs after a global pandemic and deep into the digital age.

More offices.

It’s a privately funded development and looks a whole lot better than it’s current land use. 

Despite the whole WFH trend due to COVID, Sheffield still lacks high-quality grade A office space and this (encouragingly) shows there is demand which is good for the city.

As you don’t like it, how should we use that space then? Because your previous post doesn’t seem to address that.

It currently looks like this:

A7A6492D-4169-489F-8F7B-DA74092C8EEC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, tom said:

It’s a privately funded development and looks a whole lot better than it’s current land use. 

Despite the whole WFH trend due to COVID, Sheffield still lacks high-quality grade A office space and this (encouragingly) shows there is demand which is good for the city.

As you don’t like it, how should we use that space then? Because your previous post doesn’t seem to address that.

It currently looks like this:

A7A6492D-4169-489F-8F7B-DA74092C8EEC.jpeg

bang on

Owlstalk Shop

All I seem to see when I drive about is amount of office space for lease signs.

It must just not be the grade A stuff.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

There’s some pretty grotty offices in town for sure 

Owlstalk Shop

38 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Generally not, no.

Sheffield has a lot of outdated and in some cases, poorly built office spaces. Businesses generally want flexible spaces that can accommodate different methods and styles of working. A lot of the stuff built in they 70/80s is now becoming obsolete because it was built to reflect the trends at the time - traditional space partitioned into smaller rooms, often with poor lighting. Businesses these days don’t want this kind of environment - for a whole variety of reasons (working/employee culture e.g). A good example was the office space built on the old Limit nightclub - little/no windows and a very outdated architectural style that isn’t aesthetically pleasing or attractive to prospective businesses. It was knocked down in 2015/6 (yet had only been built twenty-ish years prior) for student flats, as the layout was basically unusable for anything else.

This isn’t anybody’s fault per se, but was more reflective of how we perceived office space to look/feel at the time. 

Also office space is a little bit different to housing, in that there is normally a much greater availability - each business has different needs and most of the time, a big business will not occupy one building alone and could be home to different tenants.

In CN tower (lol) - they’re advocating what business users want: big windows, open-planned spaces and a zero carbon footprint. By building these kind of developments, we can try to attract businesses from elsewhere in the U.K. or from around the world (idealistic, but that’s the basic idea).