@owlstalk

No analysis of SWFC accounts until at least the end of July..

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I've come back 2 hours later and he's still arguing but he's the only one that has been in the room for the past hour! :ghoulguy:

Oh he's back look

Mister "Let me slag the pundits off" 2020

lol

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But our resident super accountant MKOwl said he worked in Liverpool and THAT is why he's a [email protected]

I can't keep up

lol

Ok, another reason he's a [email protected]

Edited by sherlyegg

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh he's back look

Mister "Let me slag the pundits off" 2020

lol

Still thought you weren't replying to me.

I apologise for offering a critical opinion of a 'pundit' rather than just lapping up what they feed us with.

Just came back to see how you were getting on, I'll leave you to rant off on your own again for a while.

Cheerio.

2 hours ago, mogbad said:

It was a simple question, if he's made similar comments regarding the other clubs that's fair enough.  

I'm not happy about how our finances have been run & as others have said if you were told that 4 clubs had not submitted their accounts there's a good chance we'd be one of them & I doubt they're going to be pleasant reading.

Regardless of the contents of the accounts if Maguire hasn't made similar statements regarding the other 3 clubs you can't blame people for thinking he has an agenda against us.

Before I make the point that I think is most relevant, it appears I first need to deal with my opinion of Kieran Maguire because that is much more important than our accounts, general financial position or future prospects. The fact is, I absolutely couldn't care less about him. I've no idea what his qualifications are, no knowledge of his previous columns and not much of an interest in whether he's a thrower or not.

Anyway, I suspect this latest comment is an allusion to what happened in 2018 when we delayed publishing our accounts from May to July and then missed even that second deadline. It transpires of course, that the EFL have taken issue with these accounts and they are now going through investigation. Not without merit, he believes that the financial running of our club is due criticism to the point where they might be outside the rules. Set against that context, I'd suggest his arched eyebrow is entirely reasonable.

Thanks for your attention. Now back to the food fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Still thought you weren't replying to me.

I apologise for offering a critical opinion of a 'pundit' rather than just lapping up what they feed us with.

Just came back to see how you were getting on, I'll leave you to rant off on your own again for a while.

Cheerio.

Bit odd mate

Thoughts are when table says we are minus points i will believe it. Until then i will try not to die or kill anyone 😷😷😷

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I have previously worked in dealing with annual accounts filed at Companies House. By and large companies, regardless of size, do not submit their accounts within weeks of the accounting year end.

Has your company submitted these accounts formally to companies house yet or are they not available for public viewing?

As an expert I would have thought you would have realised that the shareholders meeting at the end of June was for the board to present the accounts for the shareholders approval prior to filing. All done in 3 months. Wednesday have one site, one business, one director and one shareholder...the accounts should take days and weeks not months and years.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It was only a couple of pages back you were telling us to slag him off just because he works in Liverpool

lol

And I appreciate it was a bit subtle but that was a joke. 

But what you should appreciate for this site, is that the analysis that some of us do on this topic is quite widely appreciated because it is level headed and tries to inform the lay person using our professional insight on what are technical matters. 

Horse wakes up, opens up Owlstalk to see what's new.

Clicks on this thread...

20200505_070931.gif.79f81829c9fb5b8bb85578f14b820f42.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think what we're all learning here is that posting any articles, news or comments from anyone on Sheffield Wednesday is a pointless exercise now.

Instead what we should just do is post a new topic with just a name

So the thread title would be 'Dom Howson'

In the post you would just post 'Dom Howson' and then let everyone savage him in the thread

That's all this has turned into because the 'offended by the SWFC bashing' brigade will otherwise come along and ruin every single other thread you dare to post about Wednesday, but (and keep an eye out for this - it's very obvious in every thread)  won't EVER talk about what that person has actually said/written.

Instead they'll just savage the person/journo that said it.

That's what it's become

Got as far as this on page 5. Not much point reading the rest of the pages

This is EXACTLY the truth, and it has ruined debate on Owlstalk about the Chairman and the running of our club for a few years now

I'm glad you've finally noticed.

The Chairman's sycophants will shout down any and all criticism, constructive or not

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, kobayashi said:

The accounts should have been prepared and the audit completed months ago..it’s a simple one site one activity business. 

I can promise you we all have clients where the work is done last minute every year. I have twice in my career for the same client got accounts signed then got a tube across London to hand deliver to Companies House. So theory and practice are 2 different matters. The invention of e filing to Companies House was such a good thing. 

But is anyone surprised that a set of accounts that generate huge interest on the local area, give The Star grounds to publish a negative story about us (never shy about that) that the club and those other clubs decide to legitimately buy more time

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

I can promise you we all have clients where the work is done last minute every year. I have twice in my career for the same client got accounts signed then got a tube across London to hand deliver to Companies House. So theory and practice are 2 different matters. The invention of e filing to Companies House was such a good thing. 

But is anyone surprised that a set of accounts that generate huge interest on the local area, give The Star grounds to publish a negative story about us (never shy about that) that the club and those other clubs decide to legitimately buy more time

So in (I'm guessing) 30 years of a career with (I'm guessing) - 500 clients, you've had to hand deliver accounts to Companies House twice - you're suggesting that our activity in the last 2 years is perfectly normal and acceptable?

Or have I misinterpreted?

Lecturer in football finance! Thought that they had done away with such worthless courses (leisure and tourism, duvet filling and other tonk), ages ago?

41 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

As an expert I would have thought you would have realised that the shareholders meeting at the end of June was for the board to present the accounts for the shareholders approval prior to filing. All done in 3 months. Wednesday have one site, one business, one director and one shareholder...the accounts should take days and weeks not months and years.

I think you have to accept that your entity is super organised and gets it done.

In another world I can promise you it is totally different and frankly more chaotic. 

And that is just in the accountants offices. So whilst I am starting to put together some 31 March accounts, 5 days ago I filed at 18.54 the 31 July accounts for one client I started at 15.34 the same day

9 minutes ago, Grandad said:

So in (I'm guessing) 30 years of a career with (I'm guessing) - 500 clients, you've had to hand deliver accounts to Companies House twice - you're suggesting that our activity in the last 2 years is perfectly normal and acceptable?

Or have I misinterpreted?

No I have been fairly critical of that. The fact that some companies have taken advantage of the dispensation to delay submitting accounts is hardly a surprise. The fact we have was probably the least surprising news of all.

Just now, mkowl said:

No I have been fairly critical of that. The fact that some companies have taken advantage of the dispensation to delay submitting accounts is hardly a surprise. The fact we have was probably the least surprising news of all.

Agreed

I struggled to raise an eyebrow. 

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They're both better than Jay Bothroyd was?

That’s a bigger list, includes my late grandmother.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The personal charges against all directors have been dropped. 

Why do people assume we have done anything wrong.

The EFL rules allowed sale of assets. 

SWFC taking advantage of a poorly worded / construed regulation, isn’t illegal or immoral. 

Infact in motorsports it’s part of the sport generally with teams challenging rules and regulations. 

The fact the EFL changed the rules after the event, and the sort to punish SWFC for taking advantage of their own stupidity. 

This is all well known. Can someone explain to me how SWFC have done anything morally, legally and technically wrong ? Anywhere ? 

Edited by FroggattOwls
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1