News Owls Journo For The Star

20 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Joe Crann. Big Owls fans, been working in South Africa covering football. Very knowledgable and seems a good sort. 

I know his mum and dad very well. 

on twitter also

Good luck Joe

been following him on twitter for a while. Seems a good bloke. Look forward to reading his stuff. 

1 minute ago, sage owl said:

The star used to be a part of every day life. 

I'd almost forgotten it still existed. 

Will newspapers ever make a comeback  ?.

Things changed when Johnstone Press took over - The Wednesday side has never been the same since Paul Thompson left he was an Owl through and through. The dark side of the city have James Shield who is porcine to the core and it shows in his articles.

12 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Things changed when Johnstone Press took over - The Wednesday side has never been the same since Paul Thompson left he was an Owl through and through. The dark side of the city have James Shield who is porcine to the core and it shows in his articles.

It certainly does; he talks a load of balls, and his views are ‘balanced’ only by having a large chip on each shoulder! In other words he’s a typical Blunt.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Key said:

It certainly does; he talks a load of balls, and his views are ‘balanced’ only by having a large chip on each shoulder! In other words he’s a typical Blunt.

Is he actually one of them though, he's a cockney isn't he? Maybe this is just the approach he has adopted to keep sweet with the club and ensure access, doubt he's ever reported anything negative.

54 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Joe Crann. Big Owls fans, been working in South Africa covering football. Very knowledgable and seems a good sort. 

I know his mum and dad very well

on twitter also

Good luck Joe

Close personal friends? 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Aye

Can see The Examiner (where Dom is now) overtaking The Star big time as it's free for everyone to read as much as they like

Agreed.  Although this is a good move by the Star, I like Joe's articles and think he'll do really well.

A subscription to the Star effectively costs £104 a year.

However much I can sympathize with their reasons for going down this route, getting people to pay for something that they didn't have to before is going to be very hard going for them.

I wish them the best of luck, but I suspect they'll fail and it'll go to the wall in a year or so.

Edited by cowl

6 minutes ago, cowl said:

A subscription to the Star effectively costs £104 a year.

Aye 

And it's just not worth it. (not a criticism of any of the Star's journalist's stories although I've not seen them because of the paywall)

Dom's stuff on The Examiner is free, and pretty darn good.

There's other SWFC news outlets too.

Being behind a paywall will kill The Star off

Owlstalk Shop

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Aye 

And it's just not worth it. (not a criticism of any of the Star's journalist's stories although I've not seen them because of the paywall)

Dom's stuff on The Examiner is free, and pretty darn good.

There's other SWFC news outlets too.

Being behind a paywall will kill The Star off

I don’t know how these local newspapers and online journalists survive to be honest. 

I appreciate the journos work hard and they’ve worked doubly hard to try and find content during coronavirus, but does anybody actually really read them? I’d be interested to know readership and viewing figures. 

Personally I’d much rather read someone’s opinion on here than a journalists. The only reason I follow local media is for potential transfer news. In a world where everyone can have a say or an opinion I really do wonder how the Star, Examiner etc is still going.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t know how these local newspapers and online journalists survive to be honest. 

I appreciate the journos work hard and they’ve worked doubly hard to try and find content during coronavirus, but does anybody actually really read them? I’d be interested to know readership and viewing figures. 

Personally I’d much rather read someone’s opinion on here than a journalists. The only reason I follow local media is for potential transfer news. In a world where everyone can have a say or an opinion I really do wonder how the Star, Examiner etc is still going.

I read everything Dom writes on The Examiner. That's free to read. Funded by the parent company and adverts

I don't read The Star or The Athletic because I'm immediately put off permanently from them having paywalls.

I know Nancy Frostick writes some of the best Sheffield Wednesday articles having seen them in the past, but I just can't/won't pay to read The Athletic despite that being the one publication I do actually have some interest in reading.

The Star has ruined itself through clickbaity nonsense over the years, and then dropping a paywall in front of Owls fans means they just won't survive long term. Their readership numbers must be terrible. 

Owlstalk Shop