Sheffield United Tours

On 04/05/2020 at 10:31, rickygoo said:

That's all he has to do - think. No need to acquire any actual vehicles. If I were him I'd start an "airline" just for the kudos. 

It would be typical of his business thinking to start an airline when no fecker is flying! lol

• Haha 3

On 04/05/2020 at 15:48, torryowl said:

I did we went crystal palace together a couple of weeks later ,the  team were successful sadly I wasn't ….. 

SOB2 had probably got in by then!

Pompey was a nightmare to get to in those days. Remember one game setting off at 11pm ish Friday for a 3pm kick off next day would have been sometime around 1970 to 1972. Took around 7/8 hours to get there due to lack of motorways etc. Everyone got off the coach in Portsmouth absolutely famished and thirsty. Pints of milk and other goodies were fast disappearing off doorsteps until the pubs opened. Pompey fans ran across the pitch to get at us and a brave few stood at the front wall repelling boarders. Couple of coach windows put through coming away from the ground and another long journey back. It was all worthwhile as we won 2-1. 

Not the team coach which was a H reg, but this was AWA 355 B and was used by supporters when available.

According to someone who worked at SUT, National  Bus Company absorbed them in 1969 but wasn't till new stock was purchased in 1973 that the livery was changed to the all white and then 1974 for the old stock.

1316703680_teambus(1).jpg.2ef4213f6c9cccd3b4c23ec30a1da45c.jpg

Well they did travel to exotic places. I remember seeing a coach parked outside the Talbot Hotel Wexford on many occasions . early /mid sixties?

But the passengers were all ould wans  and I couldn't understand a word they said. I Was hoping against hope that I would see some of the players of course. Never did . Was WB a Sheffield motor reg back then?.have a vague memory of that being a constant .lol

8 minutes ago, wexowl said:

Well they did travel to exotic places. I remember seeing a coach parked outside the Talbot Hotel Wexford on many occasions . early /mid sixties?

But the passengers were all ould wans  and I couldn't understand a word they said. I Was hoping against hope that I would see some of the players of course. Never did . Was WB a Sheffield motor reg back then?.have a vague memory of that being a constant .lol

Yes I believe the middle letter of the three was W for Sheffield registrations.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wexowl said:

yes.

If the last 2 letters of the 3 (in OLD registrations) were WA, WB, WE, WJ then it was Sheffield. ET I think was Barnsley, I've forgotten R'ham's.

In case you wanted an OWL registration, WL was Oxford, whether the vehicles are still roadworthy is another thing.

• Thanks 1

On 05/05/2020 at 03:22, sheffix said:

Remember coming back from late away games with S.U.T. asking the driver if he'd let us stay on with him to the depot which was on Charlotte Road. Always a bonus if he let us. 

Deep into enemy territory.

16 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

yes.

If the last 2 letters of the 3 (in OLD registrations) were WA, WB, WE, WJ then it was Sheffield. ET I think was Barnsley, I've forgotten R'ham's.

In case you wanted an OWL registration, WL was Oxford, whether the vehicles are still roadworthy is another thing.

Barnsley was HE-=- They refused to sell the SHE1- HD was I believe Dewsbury, HL ,Leeds, may pf laces inbthe WestvRiding started with H.

That must have been mid 90's  - colours of Mainline, - replacing the coffee and cream of SYT. (came in early 70's !)

We should go back to the Sheffield corporation colours of cream and blue (think some 51 buses are in this livery)

9 minutes ago, pahowl said:

That must have been mid 90's  - colours of Mainline, - replacing the coffee and cream of SYT. (came in early 70's !)

We should go back to the Sheffield corporation colours of cream and blue (think some 51 buses are in this livery)

Apologies it was the yellow and red of Mainline from late 90's these are "new colours" of SYT from mid 80's until Mainline colours came in