Sheffield United Tours

3 hours ago, WAWAW said:

Is it them where you bought your ticket from a building in the old Pond Street and where they were lined up on match days with the Coach number on the front.

I remember booking at Pond Street booking office close to Queens public house.

We boarded coaches in same vicinity. 

National travel took over company during 1970s. 

Those old coaches. Went with the supporters club to Orient 72-73 ish

They went on to Central London after the match.

Got pounced upon by Arsenal fans as we got off, and chased through the streets near Kings Cross.

Had to hang about with the Wednesday hoolies all night for protection. They smashed up pub after pub in their wake.

Anyway got back to coach at midnight, and front windows had been smashed in by the Arsenal supporters.

It was snowing all the way back up the M1, and driver had his sheepskin coat on to  try and keep warm, while we had to shelter behind the seats.

I likened it to returning home on a shot up Lancaster after a bombing raid!

• Haha 5

Always found it incongruous when we turned up in our hordes and got off the buses that had Sheffield United written (in small letters) on the side. 

I always seemed to end up on a coach that was the first into a service station where there would inevitably be other teams fans already there.

Once got there first to be met by 2 coaches of Man Utd fans, who were everywhere in those days, Wakefield Reds was one of them. They surrounded our coach and started to give it the Big I Am.

Their faces when one, then another, then another and then many more SUT coaches full of Wednesdayites arrived in a convoy!

They soon legged it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, marconi said:

Those old coaches. Went with the supporters club to Orient 72-73 ish

They went on to Central London after the match.

Got pounced upon by Arsenal fans as we got off, and chased through the streets near Kings Cross.

Had to hang about with the Wednesday hoolies all night for protection. They smashed up pub after pub in their wake.

Anyway got back to coach at midnight, and front windows had been smashed in by the Arsenal supporters.

It was snowing all the way back up the M1, and driver had his sheepskin coat on to  try and keep warm, while we had to shelter behind the seats.

I likened it to returning home on a shot up Lancaster after a bombing raid!

I was on that coach😯😯

1 minute ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I was on that coach😯😯

Wow other than my three mates I've not talked to anyone off that coach!

What were your memories?

I remember all the glass advertising board glasses getting smashed all the way down the escalator in the underground at Piccadilly, like Christal Nacht.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

1400677070_Screenshot2020-03-29at22_57_12.jpg.c00d2b980e8aa37f6dac6d642cc704d2.jpg

I think it's the colours of this but I absolutely LOVE this photo

There used to be a cafe across the road from there in the '70s

One Friday afternoon as we were waiting to go to Tranmere (horrible away day) we were in there.

A lad tried to sell the Sheepskin coat off his back to fund a ticket to go to the game.

Dark era, great fans.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield United Tours.jpg

For those old enough to remember, Sheffield Wednesday fans used to travel on Sheffield United Tours Buses to games.

No links to the piggies though, it was just an unfortunately named travel company!

lol

Usually returned with no side windows.

1 hour ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Always found it incongruous when we turned up in our hordes and got off the buses that had Sheffield United written (in small letters) on the side. 

I always seemed to end up on a coach that was the first into a service station where there would inevitably be other teams fans already there.

Once got there first to be met by 2 coaches of Man Utd fans, who were everywhere in those days, Wakefield Reds was one of them. They surrounded our coach and started to give it the Big I Am.

Their faces when one, then another, then another and then many more SUT coaches full of Wednesdayites arrived in a convoy!

They soon legged it.

If this was Birch Services on the M62 i was on one of the other coaches, they didnt like it when the odds were reversed😎

1 hour ago, marconi said:

Wow other than my three mates I've not talked to anyone off that coach!

What were your memories?

I remember all the glass advertising board glasses getting smashed all the way down the escalator in the underground at Piccadilly, like Christal Nacht.

I went with a mate. We were only 14/15 and didn’t know the bus was staying till midnight. After the game, the coach parked up at St Pancras. We didn’t have much money and stayed local to St Pancras/Kings Cross. We lived in Barnsley and hadn’t  a clue how we were going to get home when the bus arrived back at Pond St at 4.00 am Sunday morning. Luckily a guy on the bus lived in Barnsley and gave us a lift. Happy days, or were they?

• Like 1

On the team coach in those days, I remember the side panels running the length of the bus, had an illuminated sign “ Sheffield Wednesday FC”. Made our day when we saw it on the way home from away games. Don’t remember how long it lasted for, but I saw it after the game at Coventry, when Roy Barry broke his leg. 1969?

feb 1970  a sutty day out ….we left pond st at midnight bound for a 3pm kick off at Southampton . I got to know a girl who i'd not met before on the way down and we got on well . arrived Southampton at 7am  it was hammering it down and didn't relent all day ….some bright spark in our group had a tin of blue spray paint and thought it a good idea to decorate parked cars with up the owls on there bonnets ….spent the next few hours being harassed by plod but still was with the girl so not a total disaster .at the ground stood in the pouring rain on the open end and 45 minutes later we are 4-0 down and the girl is carted off to hospital suffering from acute cold and wetness (the wetness not brought by me unfortunately ) ...a long and lonely trip back and sutty just got back to pond st as  the last bus to mexboro was pulling out …….one very irate father had to come and pick me up …..great days on sutty ….

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I went with a mate. We were only 14/15 and didn’t know the bus was staying till midnight. After the game, the coach parked up at St Pancras. We didn’t have much money and stayed local to St Pancras/Kings Cross. We lived in Barnsley and hadn’t  a clue how we were going to get home when the bus arrived back at Pond St at 4.00 am Sunday morning. Luckily a guy on the bus lived in Barnsley and gave us a lift. Happy days, or were they?

Were you set upon by the Arsenal mob, or did you arrive on the second coach which arrived later? 

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

feb 1970  a sutty day out ….we left pond st at midnight bound for a 3pm kick off at Southampton . I got to know a girl who i'd not met before on the way down and we got on well . arrived Southampton at 7am  it was hammering it down and didn't relent all day ….some bright spark in our group had a tin of blue spray paint and thought it a good idea to decorate parked cars with up the owls on there bonnets ….spent the next few hours being harassed by plod but still was with the girl so not a total disaster .at the ground stood in the pouring rain on the open end and 45 minutes later we are 4-0 down and the girl is carted off to hospital suffering from acute cold and wetness (the wetness not brought by me unfortunately ) ...a long and lonely trip back and sutty just got back to pond st as  the last bus to mexboro was pulling out …….one very irate father had to come and pick me up …..great days on sutty ….

Did you see her again?

2 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

If this was Birch Services on the M62 i was on one of the other coaches, they didnt like it when the odds were reversed😎

I dont think it was, in my head it was somewhere down south or the midlands, maybe on the way to Swindon or summat like that.

They all blur into one TBH.