Sheffield United Tours

In their grey and red livery, they were famous not only oin England but could often be seen abroad throughout Europe, when European holidays were a 'luxury' to the working man.

Their livery was grey & red. They did however have ONE coach which was painted BLUE and grey. and was used, and signed as the Sheffield Wednesday Football Club coach. 

I was standing outside the Bury ground chatting with some Bury supporters, when the coach pulled into Gigg Lane.The Bury supporters we were chatting to (happy days) were commenting that it was named on the rear 'Sheffield United Tours', when the coach door opened and one of the first people to descend was Derek Dooley!

In fact, many of the Main branch of the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club travelled in convoy on the 'Sooty Buses' as they were named..

They also used to frequently win the title of European Bus of the Year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield United Tours.jpg

For those old enough to remember, Sheffield Wednesday fans used to travel on Sheffield United Tours Buses to games.

No links to the piggies though, it was just an unfortunately named travel company!

lol

Looks like Rotherham Owls coach. 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

In their grey and red livery, they were famous not only oin England but could often be seen abroad throughout Europe, when European holidays were a 'luxury' to the working man.

Their livery was grey & red. They did however have ONE coach which was painted BLUE and grey. and was used, and signed as the Sheffield Wednesday Football Club coach. 

I was standing outside the Bury ground chatting with some Bury supporters, when the coach pulled into Gigg Lane.The Bury supporters we were chatting to (happy days) were commenting that it was named on the rear 'Sheffield United Tours', when the coach door opened and one of the first people to descend was Derek Dooley!

In fact, many of the Main branch of the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club travelled in convoy on the 'Sooty Buses' as they were named..

They also used to frequently win the title of European Bus of the Year.

So more trophies in their trophy case than the "other" Sheffield United... LOL

I remember seeing the team bus and always thought it was funny TBH...  They were a good bus company though..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WAWAW said:

Is it them where you bought your ticket from a building in the old Pond Street and where they were lined up on match days with the Coach number on the front.

Yes. If you're old enough there was a small office just off the top of the Moor.

The office I remember was near where the Sheaf Valley baths were, a small porta office. 

Travelled away a lot in the 70's with them. It was great booking your ticket, as it was in effect your ticket to the match, which was always pay on the gate everywhere.

The red and black headrest covers made great Tam o'shanties!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, marconi said:

The office I remember was near where the Sheaf Valley baths were, a small porta office. 

Travelled away a lot in the 70's with them. It was great booking your ticket, as it was in effect your ticket to the match, which was always pay on the gate everywhere.

The red and black headrest covers made great Tam o'shanties!

I’d got it in my mind that it was down The Moor?

Unless that was another? Or I could be totally wrong.

*Ah, just seen the later comment

Edited by BIG D

39 minutes ago, BIG D said:

post-1084-1242888631.jpg

Taken from Sheffield History forum. Booking office was building to right of Queens pub.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Wonder if DC is looking at this and thinking D-buses. 

That's all he has to do - think. No need to acquire any actual vehicles. If I were him I'd start an "airline" just for the kudos. 

36 minutes ago, BIG D said:

There was one on the Moor.

Booked tickets there for games in the '70s

Near the old Redgates shop.

Edited by lanzaroteowl
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, marconi said:

post-1084-1242888631.jpg

Taken from Sheffield History forum. Booking office was building to right of Queens pub.

That's the building we used to get our tickets for Man City away Varadi game promotion season 83/84

I'm certain it was SUT and even as a kid it didn't sound right. 

When did SUT cease?

Just now, Pulsar said:

That's the building we used to get our tickets for Man City away Varadi game promotion season 83/84

I'm certain it was SUT and even as a kid it didn't sound right. 

When did SUT cease?

Got taken over by National coaches.