Gary Rowett

EXH11DpXQAIi_Cw.jpg

Millwall were 17th in the Championship & 5 points off relegation when Gary Rowett arrived in October. Now they're 8th & just 2 pts away from the play-offs.

A few people mentioned him as a potential Wednesday manager

Did Chansiri interview Rowett at all? I can't remember..

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

EXH11DpXQAIi_Cw.jpg

Millwall were 17th in the Championship & 5 points off relegation when Gary Rowett arrived in October. Now they're 8th & just 2 pts away from the play-offs.

A few people mentioned him as a potential Wednesday manager

Did Chansiri interview Rowett at all? I can't remember..

Thanks for this.

Do you have an opinion on Rowett as a manager? Thought you were backing Monk to lead a revolution here.

Guest wilyfox

I think Rowett would have succumbed to the same dressing room problems Monk has. Can do well at the Birminghams and Millwalls, but out of his depth at Stoke as I suspect he would be here with this group.

He was my favoured choice at the time together with Monk, there was very little to choose between them. Perhaps it was down to desired length of contract and or staff being brought in that was the clincher. Maybe we picked the wrong Garry of maybe Gary spotted the shitstorm he would likely inherit and declined.

We'll never know.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thanks for this.

Do you have an opinion on Rowett as a manager? Thought you were backing Monk to lead a revolution here.

I have no opinion on Rowett really no.

I do find looking at how some of the names touted on here as potential managers of ours get on after we don't take them on though.

Some do well as Rowett seems to be doing, whilst others who are touted as the next messiah bomb terribly and disappear out of sight

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I have no opinion on Rowett really no.

I do find looking at how some of the names touted on here as potential managers of ours get on after we don't take them on though.

Some do well as Rowett seems to be doing, whilst others who are touted as the next messiah bomb terribly and disappear out of sight

Fair enough. I'd have taken Rowett ahead of Monk but its hardly an exact science is it. Rowett failed miserably in his last job and while he may have made a good start at Millwall, Monk had a good first 3 months with us.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough. I'd have taken Rowett ahead of Monk but its hardly an exact science is it. Rowett failed miserably in his last job and while he may have made a good start at Millwall, Monk had a good first 3 months with us.

Yeah it's so random sometimes how things pan out.

But then again I still argue that managers are a bit of a lottery.

For instance you could get some upcoming superstar manager who's done amazing things at one club, but it was all basically down to having the right set of players with the right mix and blend, and not that much to do with the abilities of the manager in question - hence why so many fail after moving to another club that might have problems or problem players.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest The Horse

Chansiri may have simply chosen the wrong Gary.

When I was a teenager at school, there were two girls called Tracy, both best freinds and both had the hots for me.
Both were pretty and had their own charms but of the two, one of them was in a league of their own. A dusky brunette with a model figure.
One of their mates turned round at my desk during maths one time to ask me which one I preferred using their full names.
But.. being a completely self absorbed, arrogant nobheed of a teenager, more interested in Big Ron's promotion chasing team of '91 than anything else, I never paid attention to their surnames so I just guessed at the girl's name with the faux confidence that only an a-hole teenage boy could muster in order to avoid looking like a complete jerk.
Turned out I picked the one with the wiry mousy hair and the one I really liked never spoke to me again. Ever.

I can sympathise with Chansiri on this one.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah it's so random sometimes how things pan out.

But then again I still argue that managers are a bit of a lottery.

For instance you could get some upcoming superstar manager who's done amazing things at one club, but it was all basically down to having the right set of players with the right mix and blend, and not that much to do with the abilities of the manager in question - hence why so many fail after moving to another club that might have problems or problem players.

Sometimes it can be like that but there are also instances of managers coming in having failed elsewhere but they manage to get the 'problem players' onside and playing for them.

It might be a lottery at times but clubs can put the odds in their favour by picking the right man for the specifics of the job. All those years ago Danny Wilson was seen as an up and coming winning manager so we went for him. The reality was his success was based on making a modest bunch of players play as a unit above their level. He was out of his depth with us and couldn't handle the players - some might say they were problem players but other managers with more experience at that level handled them better.

I said at the time, behind Hughton I wanted Rowett to get the job.

That said, I think it’s difficult to say he’d have done a similar job at Wednesday, you have to remember he’s probably inherited a group of players at Millwall who have their limitations but want to work hard and take an element of pride in what they are doing, unlike the set of spineless cowards he’d have got here at Wednesday.

Guest LondonOwl313
23 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

He was my favoured choice at the time together with Monk, there was very little to choose between them. Perhaps it was down to desired length of contract and or staff being brought in that was the clincher. Maybe we picked the wrong Garry of maybe Gary spotted the shitstorm he would likely inherit and declined.

We'll never know.

He was working on Sky at the time and seemed pretty keen on the idea.. then the other presenters took the p*ss out of him about it. Rumour was that Chansiri wouldn’t even interview him.. which probably means Paixao didn’t want him for whatever reason

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sometimes it can be like that but there are also instances of managers coming in having failed elsewhere but they manage to get the 'problem players' onside and playing for them.

It might be a lottery at times but clubs can put the odds in their favour by picking the right man for the specifics of the job. All those years ago Danny Wilson was seen as an up and coming winning manager so we went for him. The reality was his success was based on making a modest bunch of players play as a unit above their level. He was out of his depth with us and couldn't handle the players - some might say they were problem players but other managers with more experience at that level handled them better.

100% bang on.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I didn’t want either but after it became clear our top choices weren’t coming I said we’d got the wrong Gary and it’s been proved right.

9 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I didn’t want either but after it became clear our top choices weren’t coming I said we’d got the wrong Gary and it’s been proved right.

No it hasn’t, you have no idea how Rowett would have done had he been appointed.