Players who couldn't hack it at a big club like Sheffield Wednesday

Leon Knight Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Terry Yorath remembers back to players who just couldn't hack playing for a big (massive) club like Sheffield Wednesday, naming Lloyd Owusu, Leon Knight and Jon Beswetherwick amongst them

In his first few games, he [Owusu] kept collapsing. He would fall to the ground and throw up,” Yorath said in Tom Whitworth's book Owls: Sheffield Wednesday Through the Modern Era.

“I’d seen players be sick in the dressing room before a game, but never on the pitch… I think it was nerves.

“Lloyd couldn’t cope with being at such a high-profile club like Sheffield Wednesday.

“Neither could Leon Knight, he couldn’t hack it either. Maybe it was the big crowds or the aura of the place, the ground itself.

“The worst case was Jon Beswetherick. He was a left-back who I’d heard great reports about, he had a good left foot on him, but he just could not play at Hillsborough, the club was miles too big for Jon.

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

I don’t get this. Anyone would think it’s old Trafford. Most grounds are as big or hold as much as Hillsborough. They were basically just crap players :tango:

To be fair, I think he had a point with Owusu - unless he spent the rest of his career with Brentford, Yeovil and Reading spewing his guts up on the pitch every five minutes as well.