BIG D

Wednesday & Utd Combined XI Since 1990

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

Roland is my favourite ever Wednesday player but look at the careers of both men and tell me who is the better player ( and kyle isn't finished yet).

If the criteria is you have to have played the best football of your career in Sheffield to qualify for this fsntasy team then Roland is in and Kyle doesn't get a look in but Woods, Des Walker, Francis and Waddle dont get in either because they all had their best spells elsewhere.

Just because their best spells were elsewhere doesn't mean they don't get in. Waddle and Walker were outstanding for us.....or are you forgetting that Waddle won player of the year in 1993? Francis wouldn't get in, although he might make the bench. Woods will always create debate for his high profile errors and Kelly and Pressman both have cases to be included in the team.

To start a separate debate, who is better Roland or Walker? If you go on trophies won, then Walker is but that then makes Nicky Butt a better midfielder than Gerrard which even the most staunch Man U fan wouldn't support. If you're going on actual ability, Nilsson was the only world class player (and by that I mean in the top 2/3 in his position) I've seen playing for Wednesday in the 50+ years I've been watching them so on that basis he is better than Walker as he gets no where near a World XI.  

1 hour ago, Geedee said:

Roland is my favourite ever Wednesday player but look at the careers of both men and tell me who is the better player ( and kyle isn't finished yet).

If the criteria is you have to have played the best football of your career in Sheffield to qualify for this fsntasy team then Roland is in and Kyle doesn't get a look in but Woods, Des Walker, Francis and Waddle dont get in either because they all had their best spells elsewhere.

This would be my criteria.

But Waddle won the player of the year with us. And his years at Wednesday are still far superior to anyone at United.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Chris Woods earned numerous England caps at Hillsborough. 

Henderson hasn’t earned a single one at the sty and there was more competition for the national side when Woods was playing.

These sorts of “best 11’s” are always a nonsense as they’d sooner try to keep both sets of fans happy rather than pick a best 11. Any independent sports journalist from elsewhere in the country would pick a Wednesday player for every single place in that side.

Woods

Worthington

Hinchcliffe

Emerson Thome

Pearson

Walker

Nillson

Petrescu

Palmer

Sheridan

Waddle

Alexanderson

Di Canio

Carbone

Hirst

All better than any of the players the pigs have suggested for this side and all better than the side they have right now.

And all of them internationals apart from Carbone, Thome and Pearson... who were both better than any centre backs that they have had EVER

Edited by daveyboy66

32 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I didn't say they wouldn't I said that both played their best football at other clubs.

Wim jonk wood get in if you count what they did elsewhere. 

22 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Perhaps so but I think he played better at Spurs and Marseille

Agreed, he was outstanding at Marseille but he was also outstanding at Wednesday.

The below article reflects the mood of many in football when he was not selected for the England squad under Taylor, notably Dennis Bergkamps bemusement at Waddle not being called up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-waddle-ignored-as-taylor-opts-for-continuity-double-dutch-the-order-of-the-day-as-england-1455626.html%3famp

Why are we even contemplating united?  Do not entertain then, beware of them, turn your back on them, they are pestilence and famine. From the pits of eternal hell, they seek to infect your very being with their stinking foulness.

But do not fear them, just poke a finger in their eye, thats what my mommy told me when I was a baby high.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

And all of them internationals apart from Carbone, Thome and Pearson... who were both better than any centre backs that they have had EVER

I honestly think if the likes of Peter Atherton, Ian Nolan, Wim Jonk and Andy Pearce had played for the pigs for as long in the top flight as they did for us, they’d be considered blades legends.

Such was the gulf in class between what we saw during the 90’s and what they’ve seen since, these players aren’t given much more than a second thought by Wednesday fans.

The only two I’d have in from them would

be Harry Maguire and possibly Henderson (even though he isn’t theirs). Both are quality to be fair.

. If its from 1990 not a single Sheff Utd player gets in, even some of our players not getting in would improve their squad over the same period. Ie Petrescu, Alexanderson, Carbone..

Do it from 2000 and its more a contest. 

I did think of Deane but then thought about it and realised Fletcher is a better all round player. 

2 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

. If its from 1990 not a single Sheff Utd player gets in, even some of our players not getting in would improve their squad over the same period. Ie Petrescu, Alexanderson, Carbone..

I did think of Deane but then thought about it and realised Fletcher is a better all round player. 

Not having that Steven Fletchers a better all round player then Brian Deane. 

Just shows how clueless the Star is. 

F**king Morgan! Are they having a laugh? I’d rather have Majid Bougherra than that throw pot. 

How many caps has Henderson got for England? The grunters have overrated Fleck since day one. Another who has few caps for Scotland. 

Woods

Nilsson

Walker 

Pearson

Worthington

?

Sheridan

Palmer

Waddle 

Hirst

Deane

I’m struggling for left wing off the top of my head but I would only give them Deane at this point. You can’t go for Kyle Walker or Maguire as they had already left before they became internationals. 

The Star clearly trying to remain neutral as to not upset the porkers or their familiars such as Biggs, Gage and that poison dwarf James Gregg. 

Blunts cant win in this coz they always sold there best players before they hit there peak ....we on the other very rarely sold until they started on a downturn .

For what it's worth

Kelly

Nilsson      Macguire  Walker   Worthington

Waddle    Palmer     Sheridan     Carbone

Hirst         Di Canio

1 hour ago, Castleford Owl said:

The only two I’d have in from them would

be Harry Maguire and possibly Henderson (even though he isn’t theirs). Both are quality to be fair.

Again, this is based on his performances for Leicester/Man U, not for that lot. He was a League One centre back that looked like a podgy dinnerlady for them. Didn't even play more than 5 games in the Championship. Could just as easily go with Lee Bullen or Rob Jones if tearing up League One is the criteria.

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

jagielka would. Deane would.

2000 onwards would be much closer if not leaning towards most of theirs given we’ve not been in the top division since then. 

49 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Blunts cant win in this coz they always sold there best players before they hit there peak ....we on the other very rarely sold until they started on a downturn .

On the other hand if it started in 2000 it wouldn't be looking so good. 

6 hours ago, Geedee said:

The team is clearly referencing how they played for Sheffield clubs.

Waddle may well have been at his best at Marseille but he was still better for Wednesday than any United player has been in that position in the defined timescale.

Chris Morgan and John Fleck are picked in this team FFS. How many top flight seasons did Morgan play? The likes of Stefanovic were better at that level for a linger period for us, never mind Pearson. 

Carlton Palmer was integral to our team in the mid-90's, John Fleck has done OK for three quarters of a season in the top flight where their success has been based on clean sheets rather than the few goals he has scored or created. 

It's a joke idea that they would be included and hardly worthy of reasoned debate. 

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

jagielka would. Deane would.

2000 onwards would be much closer if not leaning towards most of theirs given we’ve not been in the top division since then. 

Jagielka and his one unsuccessful season of top flight football at United? His form for United 2005-2007 was not better than Pearson was for us 1990-93.

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I honestly think if the likes of Peter Atherton, Ian Nolan, Wim Jonk and Andy Pearce had played for the pigs for as long in the top flight as they did for us, they’d be considered blades legends.

Such was the gulf in class between what we saw during the 90’s and what they’ve seen since, these players aren’t given much more than a second thought by Wednesday fans.

TBH Geary was in their all time legends team 🤣🤣

• Haha 2