What would YOU do ?

It’s not just the first team coach/manager, we need to bring in some more experience and knowledgeable support staff. Look at the overall difference at behind Sunderland in season 2 of their Netflix program when they changed the staff running the club behind the scenes.

The most experienced person to get close to the club in years was Bruce and he warned that it would take 4 transfer windows to sort the squad out. A new manager comes in with their own ideas, their own vision and surely that 4 windows starts again.

Monk hasn’t even been afforded a pre-season, or the chance or bring in any back room staff and fans are calling for his head. 

One thing any new manager will not get is patience from our fans. The expectations went through the roof when the other lot got promoted to the Premier League

On 01/05/2020 at 15:43, room0035 said:

With Monk gone I would bring in the manager we should have got in September last year in Gary Rowett - yes he may cost us a bit of Compo to Millwall but not a lot.

I would release from the out of contract players Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Lee, Nuihu, Winnall, Jones, Stobbs. I would offer new deals to Fox, Fletcher and Fessi but the later two would be on reduced terms with bigger bonuses based on goals and assists.

I would send all the loan players back Wickham, Bates, Murphy, Da Cruz, Windass.

This will probably save me £10m a season in wages alone. Add to this getting both Westwood and Rhodes off the wage bill this figure will rise to £13m at least

I would also if received accept bids for any remaining players. The likes of Lees, Bannan, Reach have been good servants but a decent offer with 1 year left on their deals has to be considered. But any players who stay in the squad that I want will be resigned to longer deals so I don't then have half my squad leave next year too.

New deals for Penney, Borukov and a few of the development squad lads stepping into the first team squad

So far I am probably in the region of £13-15m better off with costs but with a vastly reduced squad.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Fox, Penney, Borner, Iorfa, Lees, Palmer, Urhoghide, Odabajo, Harris, Reach, Fessi, Bannan, Luongo, Fletcher, Borukov, Hunt, 

I will need a 2 wingers, idea who can play on both flanks, a striker or two depending how well Borukov develops into the first team and centre back cover if either any of the 3 I have are sold. Any big offers receive will give me more room to develop and improve the squad.

My prediction for my finish with a bit of luck with injuries, would be top 10 maybe outside for play offs if a few players show some form.

Think you are in the right area in terms of who to get rid of and keep. Need more than two wingers. Combative box to box midfielder, back up for Bannan /replacement of Lee. Need cover at left back, presuming Penney is gone. Similarly, need another right back and a decent forward. We rely too much on Fletcher. Think whoever is at the helm has a proper difficult task on, balancing the books whilst trying to bring in players better and better motivated than what we have.

Guest ka58

I would invest as much time and money as possible in the training, academy and recruitment side of the club.

wide reaching scouting network and high standard training and academy facilities.

short term strategy of still being able to compete at championship level while moving out of contract players on - some will need to

be retained on one year deals and this should only be players with good injury records.

use scouting network to identify replacements which are likely to have future resale value And gradually recruit on reasonable long-term contracts where possible.

Firstly we need a much improved scouting system. 
Need to build from the back.

We need to identify two full backs for a start. Palmer & Fox are simply not good enough if we are looking to move forward. A new centre half although Hutchinson can fill this role as a stand in.

I’d plead with Rhodes so do the right thing. He’s taken us for a ride for long enough.

48 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Only one thing frightens defenders.

P.A.C.E.

JJ had pace and he was crap, Harris has pace and well he's not been that great.

waddle had no pace yet was one of the best players we have had.

Brunt had no pace but who needs it when you can score from 30 yards.

Bannan, Fletcher, Fessi all are not super quick are you saying these a rubbish because they have no pace.

yes pace helps but with no ability, pace is pointless.

give me a play who can pick a pass over pace any day of the week.

6 hours ago, ka58 said:

I would invest as much time and money as possible in the training, academy and recruitment side of the club.

wide reaching scouting network and high standard training and academy facilities.

short term strategy of still being able to compete at championship level while moving out of contract players on - some will need to

be retained on one year deals and this should only be players with good injury records.

use scouting network to identify replacements which are likely to have future resale value And gradually recruit on reasonable long-term contracts where possible.

The problem is we have barely produce a player in 20 years. When our neighbours 5 miles away have produced 20-30 in that time.

the whole structure is wrong too many ex players, not enough qualified coaches. Good up to under 18's then none make the grade.

I cannot see it changing unless the is new leadership and a lot of mediocre coaches moved on. The faculties need updating but without the people to run it. Just more wasted potential.

13 hours ago, room0035 said:

The problem is we have barely produce a player in 20 years. When our neighbours 5 miles away have produced 20-30 in that time.

the whole structure is wrong too many ex players, not enough qualified coaches. Good up to under 18's then none make the grade.

I cannot see it changing unless the is new leadership and a lot of mediocre coaches moved on. The faculties need updating but without the people to run it. Just more wasted potential.

It's been like that since Sir Jack Charlton left, the 1st thing Sgt Wilko did was to scrap the Middlewood road JFC connection to the club that helped to produce the likes of Sterland etc.

We have not, as a club, even paid lip service to youth development since then, where as Dem Blunts decided to go down that road over 20 years ago.

You are right about the past and about improving the coaching at that level also the scouting of young players from the local region and attracting them to us before Dem Blunts.